Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1416
View in linear mode

Subject: "Some sharpening questions using aperture" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sun 08-Dec-13 10:25 PM
2925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Some sharpening questions using aperture"

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys
Never really know what settings to apply and if in fact, if the "in camera" sharpening settings are recognised also?

I see 3 ways of adjusting sharpening with Aperture

1. using the adjustment brush,
2. further adjustment of the adjustment brush with the hud, and
3. add sharpening using the HUD which gives options of Intensity and radius

Does Aperture recognise "in camera" sharpening?, and
What amount of Intensity and radius should be the "average" settings?
Regards,
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 09-Dec-13 04:49 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Some sharpening questions using aperture"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 09-Dec-13 04:51 PM by kentak

US

Here’s a link to an article that may be helpful. Not sure when the article was written, but the author appears to be using an earlier version of Aperture. His screenshot of the RAW Fine Tuning brick shows the two relevant sliders to be labeled Sharpening and Edges, whereas the current version uses the terms Sharpening and Detail. I suspect it’s only a terminology difference and that Edges and Detail do the same thing.

http://www.bobrockefeller.com/2011/09/05/three-stages-of-sharpening-with-aperture/

As he says, the sharpening affect within the RAW Fine Tuning brick is very subtle. I generally don’t use it, although maybe I should pay more attention to it. I generally go to the two bricks at the bottom of the adjustment tab.

The main bricks for sharpening are Sharpen and Edge Sharpen. Every source I’ve read about Aperture sharpening says to use Edge Sharpen as a superior adjustment over Sharpen, which is said to be a holdover from earlier versions.

I tend to the notion that sharpening is best applied sparingly. So, I generally just click the Edge Sharpen checkbox to apply the default settings. I may fiddle with the individual sliders a bit to observe the overall effect. I sometimes find that I like the result when I apply a *small* amount of sharpening from the “Sharpen” brick in addition to the “Edge Sharpen” brick. When doing so, I usually find it best to bump up the radius just *slightly* and also reduce the intensity to maybe .20 or so.

There is no correct or normal setting, IMO. It’s subjective to your purpose, taste, and the needs of the individual image.

BTW, I believe in camera sharpening is not recognized by Aperture if using RAW files. If you're working with jpegs from the camera, the sharpening will, of course, have been applied.

Kent

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 09-Dec-13 10:16 PM
2925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Some sharpening questions using aperture"
In response to Reply # 1

South Australia, AU

Much appreciated Kent!
Well, did not know there was even an edge sharpener and forgot about the fact we had a raw fine tuning slider, I was starting to think that in camera sharpening settings must be recognised but the raw fine tuning presets must be looking after that

Thank you again for taking the time with your detailed reply,
Regards,
Gary

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 15-Dec-13 02:13 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Some sharpening questions using aperture"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

One other trick, if you don't already do it, is to set the Definition slider in the Enhance brick before you do any output sharpening. The Definition slider adds localized contrast and helps make edges more apparent.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sun 15-Dec-13 09:50 PM
#4. "RE: Some sharpening questions using aperture"
In response to Reply # 3

South Australia, AU

Thanks Larry,
Actually, I found the Definition slider some time back,now my favourite tool for landscape,
Just tried it out on a test subject where I have been trying out all the sharpening options and it made a huge difference
....Gary

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1416 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.