Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1384
View in linear mode

Subject: "A new version of Aperture on the way??" Previous topic | Next topic
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 22-Oct-13 07:58 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A new version of Aperture on the way??"

Geneva, US

The Apple event today introduced the new Mac Pro and alluded to a new version of Aperture designed to take advantage of its power. Here's the Aperture Expert link, which takes you to the streaming video of Apple's announcement:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2013/10/22/detail-on-aperture-reference-from-todays-apple-special-event.html

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A new version of Aperture on the way??
kentak Silver Member
22nd Oct 2013
Reply message Aperture 3.5 is not Aperture 4
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
23rd Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Aperture 3.5 is not Aperture 4
lajolla Silver Member
23rd Oct 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
23rd Oct 2013
jdenning Silver Member
24th Oct 2013

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Tue 22-Oct-13 10:22 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A new version of Aperture on the way??"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 23-Oct-13 01:32 AM by kentak

US

deleted for redundant information

Kent

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 23-Oct-13 12:14 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Aperture 3.5 is not Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

Now that the dust of yesterday's announcements has settled we can see what Aperture 3.5 has to offer. Mostly, it's an incremental upgrade with bug fixes, but the following changes may be significant for some users:
•supports iCloud Photo Sharing
•integration with SmugMug for publishing and syncing galleries
•supports iOS 7 camera filters on imported photos

Aperture 3.5 is available only after upgrading to OS 10.9 ("Mavericks").

Yesterday's event marked the start of a big push for the new "wastebasket" Mac Pro, and one of the featured cameos of power users was photographer Lucas Gilman. I read an interview with Gilman on a blog in which he talks about big throughput gains using the new hardware/software combination for processing RAW files from a D800.

I think this is a sign that there is a new version of Aperture is probably in the works -- it seems that Aperture 3.5 is a placeholder, modifying and optimizing the current version for OS10.9 and the new MacPro.

I suppose I'll upgrade to 3.5 when I upgrade my OS, but I'm in no grand rush....

Dave

lajolla Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2005Wed 23-Oct-13 05:24 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture 3.5 is not Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 2

LaJolla, US

Updated my mac osx platforms to osx 10.9 'mavericks' with zero problems. The osx update is free and available from your current osx software update menu tab, or from the app store icon.
Be sure to complete a successful osx 'mavericks' update and install first, before upgrading and installing the aperture 3.5 version. When you open aperture 3.5 after the upgrade install, your old aperture version 3.4.5 library (or libraries) will also be updated. I had no problems with the updates of my old libraries by the new aperture version 3.5, but make sure you have good copies of your old 3.4.5 aperture image libraries before you make the update to 3.5
Aperture version 3.5 has new osx 'mavericks' raw-file rendering algorithms. This means you will need to re-process the raw originals for all your older pre-version 3.5 raw edited versions - but only if if you decide to re-edit those older 3.4.5 raw files using aperture 3.5.
The new osx mavericks raw-file import rendering algorithms seem to work just fine for the nikon dslr cam bodies that I have just tested, importing into aperture version 3.5.

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 23-Oct-13 08:12 PM
#4. "RE: Aperture 3.5 is not Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 3

Geneva, US

Thanks for the info! Have you tested the compatibility of any third-party plug-ins (like Nik or onOne?)

Dave

jdenning Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Thu 24-Oct-13 09:51 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Aperture 3.5 is not Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 2

Roswell, GE

I caught the mention of an update to Aperture. Really got excited, wow, finall Then after upgrading to 10.9 I found the 3.5. I SURE HOPE you are correct and a major release is around the corner.

I've enjoyed reading much of the wish list of features people have posted not just here, but also on the apple discussion forums.

-JD-
John Denning
Roswell, GA

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1384 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.