Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1354
View in linear mode

Subject: "The Mentality of Aperture Interface" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 17-Sep-13 05:08 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
Tue 17-Sep-13 05:08 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

I installed Aperture on my Mac 6 weeks ago. And I am embarrassed at my slowness in comprehending the program. My initial foray was guided by the 200-page 'Exploring AP' book . But I wasn't really getting much insight. So I would, from time to time, launch into the 600-page User Guide. My eyes would glaze over.

A lot of my career involved research, so I love to dig. Then I learned about the Apple Pro Training Series book used for Apple Certification training. I bought a used copy on Abebooks for little more than $10. As an aside, I usually don't absorb much from video tutorials. Largely because the visuals showing mouse cursor movements go along too quickly. I miss a lot of vital cues.

I have to report that the logic of AP is now starting to sink in. These are just my thoughts, but please correct me if I am wrong. Aperture relies on tons of keyboard shortcuts and buttons that enable a savvy user (not me... at this point) to plow through 1000 wedding pictures and cull the keepers and select the best of the best. That is laborious work, aside from making adjustments, and a professional is faced with deadlines, say after a wedding.

PhotoMechanic, by Camera Bits, shoots for the same objective. This dawned on me after reading up a little on the LightTable function. It got me to thinking about the duplication of processes with multiple buttons, commands, keyboard shortcuts. All for the sake of speed.

Of, so it seems to me. Am I wrong? And I haven't even played much with the Adjustment tools. ( I have the NIK Collections plugins to help_

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface
luckyphoto Silver Member
27th Sep 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
27th Sep 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
28th Sep 2013
glxman Silver Member
21st Oct 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
21st Oct 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
01st Nov 2013
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
02nd Nov 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
02nd Nov 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
02nd Nov 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
03rd Nov 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
03rd Nov 2013
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
03rd Nov 2013
Howker Silver Member
29th Nov 2013
Howker Silver Member
29th Nov 2013

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 27-Sep-13 06:40 PM
773 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

I think there's a question in there somewhere, but not quite sure what it is. You're basically talking about two different issues, workflow and training.

Aperture 3 can utilize either keyboard shortcuts or mouse movements so you can choose which is more comfortable.

Workflow - If you have 1,000 photos it's going to be laborious no matter what you do. Read about different workflows to see what tips and tricks you can adopt to reduce the amount of labor involved. I normally try to cull out the obvious bad photos before I import to Aperture by individually selecting which photos to import. That's a start. A second cull happens when I review the photos at full screen size for defects and other criteria. This is all before I begin any modification of the photos.

Training - Initial training will come in the main forms of written and video. If you don't like video then you are limited to books, white papers and forum threads, etc. You could also hire someone, but that might get expensive. Look at some of the Aperture 3 training at Lynda.com and Google "Aperture Expert" for the web site.

I think I finally understand part of your question. For example, Aperture 3 and the NIK software both have sharpening tools. Aperture 3 is a more general purpose program with a wider range of tools that are limited and general purpose. The NIK software has fewer tools, but they are more typically more powerful and flexible in limited areas such as sharpening.

Hope that helps a bit.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 27-Sep-13 07:07 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

Thanks for you input. With a further 2 weeks on Apeture, I am very quick and sure with it. So, why did I post? I was trying to find the logic behind the interface. I've got that down.

I got the Aperture Pro Training Series book and followed just a few of the lessons. Learning keywords, Batch Change, and the difference between the Inspector (left side) and the top buttons for Browser, Vue and Line settings seem to be the key operating areas.

My Nik plug -ins are installed, and I navigate smoothly.

Gary

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 28-Sep-13 03:57 AM
773 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

Great to hear, Gary! I find Aperture 3 pretty easy to use these days. I do use NIK for the noise reduction and final sharpening, though. I have the whole NIK suite of tools and they are all pretty powerful, but easy to use.

Best of luck with your lessons.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 21-Oct-13 12:54 PM
2987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Hi there,
I'm also new to Mac and Aperture, big learning curve for me,
In the past, all editing was with Capture NX2,

I have got most answers from the help option in Aperture and 2 other forums

FWIW,
The adjustment tools are excellent, the only downfall I have found is the lack of distortion correction, now have DxO, works a treat but a little expensive

Lastly,
took me a while to get the hang of it but now have 2 vaults running and always backup the originals when uploading with a card to a separate folder in an external drive,
I then drag these originals into another external drive,
For this year, Ive called them Back-up 2013_1 and Back-up 2013_2
just to be sure to be sure
I have a 750GB SSD, so there is just now way all my images can sit on the main drive
....Gary

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 21-Oct-13 05:02 PM
#5. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 21-Oct-13 05:04 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

The official User Guide for Aperture is thorough. It consists of 600+ pages. But see if you can buy this training manual for Aperture that Apple used as a text for their Aperture Certification program. Aperture 3-- Apple Pro Training Series by Dion Scoppetuolo. You can buy them new on Amazon. But I found a used copy on www.abebooks.com

The lessons are designed for a 2-day training course. If you follow them, you'll pick up a lot of keyboard and mouse skills quickly. They work with the Library of sample images that came with the Aperture 3 program disks.

You can correct for lens distortion in Aperture if you buy the $25 plugin called PT Lens. I had DxO when I owned LightRoom 5. It was far more 'automatic' than PT Lens. But the latter is far, far superior in what it does.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 01-Nov-13 11:29 PM
#6. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 5

Los Angeles, US

As far as perspective distortion corrections, something amazing just occurred. DxO is giving away (free) their DxOPerspective application. Go to the DxO website and you'll see the free offer.

Watch the video, and you might agree with me that it is less techno and involved than PTLens.
It doesn't run as a Plug In for Aperture, so just process your files in Aperture and export a version. Then run DxOPerspective on it to straighten things out.

The user interface is simple.

I enjoyed reading about your computer specifications. I'm about ready to buy a new iMac. And the choices will be dictated by my Aperture use. First and foremost, I want the best GPU. Along with Fusion Drive.

Gary
Santa Monica

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Sat 02-Nov-13 12:48 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 0

Buckeye, US

Just a heads up for everyone. I would imagine that participants on this forum are photographers who will generate a lot of images. As a former creative certified to teach Aperture I would like to share a personal 'aha' that is not mentioned in the training courses.

Consider the application we call Aperture as two separate items. One is the application. The other is your Library. Visually think of it as picking up a can opener (application) and opening a can of beans (your library). Think of each bean as one of your projects. If you have a lot of images the can gets pretty big. It takes the can opener a lot more time to open and spill the beans!

My recommendation is that you not allow your library to exceed 120 GB. Libraries in the 300+ GB range tend to crash more often. That may not always be true, but I have seen it so many times that it is worth sharing. In crash cases it has always been true that the instability goes away when the library has been split up. So, as part of your photo organization, consider how you might consolidate photos based on some system that makes sense. I store all my libraries on an external drive and vault each one to another external drive. If it makes sense to you to keep files right off your card in a separate library that is fine, but always, always, always vault your library to a different drive than the one it is on.

Advanced users might want to consider backing up keywords (export list as text file which can be imported in new or recovered library). You can also back up effects for the same reason. I keep copies on the same drive as my vaults.

Hope this has been useful.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 02-Nov-13 01:24 PM
#8. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 7

Los Angeles, US

Thanks. Only this week I dove into the controversy about Managed vs Referenced Libraries/Files.

I'll take your advice and back up my Keywords and Effects presets.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 02-Nov-13 01:41 PM
#9. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 7

Los Angeles, US

How do you Export or Backup your Effects?

Keywords was easy.

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 03-Nov-13 11:43 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 9

Newburg, US

If you are backing up you're library in a vault, then the effects which are stored in the database are backed up also. It's best to think of the library as a database that contains information about where the master files are on your computer as well as all the edits you have applied to them. When you vault the library it makes a copy of the image files and all the associated database information.

I prefer to use referenced files because it makes it easier to find the original raw files if I want to process them with a different program - like LR, PS, or Photo Ninja.

Visit my gallery.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 03-Nov-13 12:09 PM
#11. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 10

Los Angeles, US

Thanks. I do have vaults. One on my internal HD and one on an external.

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Sun 03-Nov-13 03:49 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 9

Buckeye, US

I agree that vaulting saves keywords. However, when I start a new library I like to be able to use one of several keyword collections I have laboriously created over timerather than start fresh. When you create a brand new library it comes with the default collection of keywords.

To save your effects select the Effects Tab in Adjustments and go to the very bottom of the column and select Edit Effects. From the bottom of that list you will see an Export option. If you ever have to delete the Aperture application and reload it you will be glad you saved your Effects!! I also save the Effects I have downloaded as individual files an extra precaution.

Hope that helps.

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Fri 29-Nov-13 03:17 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"

Redmond, US

>From the bottom of that list you will see an Export option.

You need to click on the settings gear wheel bottom left to see this option.

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Fri 29-Nov-13 03:17 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: The Mentality of Aperture Interface"
In response to Reply # 12

Redmond, US

>From the bottom of that list you will see an Export option.

You need to click on the settings gear wheel bottom left to see this option.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1354 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.