Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #134
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mimicing Active D Lighting" Previous topic | Next topic
SawwhetOwl Registered since 25th Jul 2010Tue 07-Sep-10 02:12 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mimicing Active D Lighting"

Maysville, US

Hi,

I have a Nikon D90. I have it set to Active D Lighting Auto on the D90. Most of my pictures are outdoors with high dynamic range. When I import the RAW into aperture the pictures appear over exposed and flat (jpegs appear fine). Another user in the D90 forum suggested Active D Lighting might be the culprit.

I bought (looks like wasted a couple of bucks) a preset to mimic Active D lighting but it makes the pictures look worse.

Any suggestions on creating a preset specific to Active D Lighting or is this a picture by picture adjustment. It appears the adjustments are exposure and highlights and shadows?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

cchoc Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, most notably in Landscape Photography Charter MemberTue 07-Sep-10 05:48 PM
4522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Mimicing Active D Lighting"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

Active D lighting is just that, active. With it on, your camera changes the exposure and then generates curves for different parts of the image to adjust the highlights and shadows. This will be different from image to image.

Nikon's Capture NX2 ($$) and ViewNX2 (free) both can process this proprietary information, but other software like Aperture or Photoshop cannot.

If you want to use ADL and do postprocessing in other than Nikon software you should preprocess in NX2 or ViewNX2 and save as 16bit TIFF files for import into your other software.

Charlie...
stalking light

Nikonians Team Member

SawwhetOwl Registered since 25th Jul 2010Wed 08-Sep-10 03:08 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mimicing Active D Lighting"
In response to Reply # 1

Maysville, US

Charlie,

Thanks for the tip. I'll experiment with not using active D-Lighting. Not sure I want to create 16bit tiff images; best option might be to shoot RAW+Jpeg. Maybe edit the RAW when the jpeg just not right.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #134 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.