Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1321
View in linear mode

Subject: "How long should I wait for Aperture 4" Previous topic | Next topic
cebert Registered since 17th Feb 2010Tue 10-Sep-13 07:24 PM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How long should I wait for Aperture 4"

St. Paul, US

Hey Everyone,

I'm a long time Aperture user. I love the application, but I feel the software is becoming dated and badly in need of a new release. I've been using 3 since it came out and I'm happy with my workflow in it, but I'm still using external software for certain pieces. Several friends and collegues have gone to Lightroom and I must say the newest version there looks SOLID. I've been waiting since the beginning of 2013 for Aperture 4. My patience are running short. I know no one outside of Apple knows when Aperture 4 is coming, but I'm curious what others think about how long I should wait before I switch. I'd really rather not have to learn a whole new applicaiton, but it might come to that. What does everyone else think? I figure I'll give Apple until the first of the year and then bail.

Regards,
Chris

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
-Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4
mozart11
10th Sep 2013
cebert
10th Sep 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
11th Sep 2013
Howker Silver Member
29th Nov 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
12th Sep 2013
mjt73106
13th Sep 2013
mozart11
16th Sep 2013
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
mozart11
17th Sep 2013
lajolla Silver Member
17th Sep 2013
krpowers316 Silver Member
09th Oct 2013
mozart11
19th Oct 2013
krpowers316 Silver Member
14th Nov 2013
lajolla Silver Member
16th Nov 2013
Jim 1957 Silver Member
23rd Oct 2013
glxman Silver Member
27th Oct 2013
kentak Silver Member
26th Oct 2013
lajolla Silver Member
17th Dec 2013
Ajjra Silver Member
08th Apr 2014

mozart11 Registered since 29th Apr 2006Tue 10-Sep-13 08:57 PM
269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Mineola, US

What do you feel Lightroom does more solid than Aperture?

cebert Registered since 17th Feb 2010Tue 10-Sep-13 09:20 PM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 1

St. Paul, US

Most specific to what I do, noise reduction and sharpening look better. LR5 also has an integrated touchup brush that I'd love to get my hands on. My primary client is a D3 college. The SID runs the webpage similar to a newspaper so I often only have about 30 minutes after a game to finish and submit my photos. Because I don't like the noise reduction and sharpening in Aperture I'm spending extra time in Neat Image on those retouches and if anything needs basic cleanup I have to run the files out and edit them in Photoshop. From what I've seen colleagues do in Lightroom 5 this is all built in. I'd like to stay with Aperture, but after 3.5 years I want some new features.

Regards,
Chris

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
-Ansel Adams

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 11-Sep-13 01:44 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 2

Newburg, US

Sounds as though you have already sold yourself on LR. I have both Aperture and LR - I haven't noticed that the LR touchup brush is better than the Aperture retouch brush. I do prefer the way LR imports files into the library though.

Visit my gallery.

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Fri 29-Nov-13 03:32 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 1

Redmond, US

>What do you feel Lightroom does more solid than Aperture?

I am a long time AP3 user. Love the program & of course very familiar with what I do with it. However when I need to correct converging verticals (lens distortion too, yes I know there are Nikon corrections for each lens) or any perspective correction I use PS with the Transform/distort or similar editing options. Its messy & difficult
In LR5 this is so complete & easy to do its worth the price of the program alone if you ever photograph buildings or architecture in general.
Just have a look at this to see how comprehensive it is, http://tv.adobe.com/watch/whats-new-in-lightroom-5/lightroom-5-correcting-perspective-using-upright/

She's rather pretty too!!

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Thu 12-Sep-13 09:23 PM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

I am not sure I understand all of the hand-wringing about the absence of Aperture 4 (or maybe Aperture X...).

Aperture 3.4.5 is powerful (as long as you have plenty of RAM) and quite stable. For my money, the way Aperture manages Originals and Versions within the "database" of a library is a lot more coherent than having an external files/folders hierarchy like LR (although Aperture wiil do it that way too, with referenced Originals, if you want). As for image processing, I prefer to use the components of either the Nik Suite or onOne's Perfect Photo Suite for sharpening and other stuff, running them as plug-ins within Aperture. ( I also have Photoshop CS6 as the default external editor, although I try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary.) When Apple eventually releases the next iteration of Aperture there is still no guarantee that it will have the capabilities you feel are missing from Aperture 3.

From my perspective, Apple is under no time pressure to update Aperture because it remains relatively feature-rich and bug-free for its primary purposes. However, I do not expect any primary photo database program (either Aperture or LR) to contain all of the image modification tools that I need, so I will continue to rely on Aperture for its file management capabilities and light editing but let the dedicated plug-ins do the heavy lifting for postprocessing.

Just my $0.02,

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

mjt73106 Registered since 24th Mar 2013Fri 13-Sep-13 02:32 AM
306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I converted to Apple from MS a little before Aperture's first release. I still used PS before I transitioned to Aperture 3 when Apple released it as an app for $79. At the time, it was the best deal since the complete Adobe set up was still priced crazy. That has all changed. I am like you, there are some things that I see in LR that I would like to have, i.e. perspective/distortion control.

I also found that depending on the format and the process, my lap top (17inch MacBook Pro) with maxed out memory cannot keep up. For my larger medium format scans I have to run on a desk top. I am heavily invested in the technology and with 25,000+ images, the conversion would be very time-consuming and involve additional hardware investment. My work is not as time line urgent as yours, but it would be nice for an upgrade to keep up with LR. I do not have the solution for you other than offer you the comfort that comes with shared misery...

mozart11 Registered since 29th Apr 2006Mon 16-Sep-13 05:16 PM
269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 5

Mineola, US

I've gotten a lot of free Aperture presets from this site over the years.

http://presetpond.com/category/presets/aperture/

One of the benefits of downloading some of them, was not to use them maybe, but you can see how adjustments are carried out when applied. This has educated me on using the specific adjustments bricks of Aperture.

Download them and import into Aperture.

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Tue 17-Sep-13 12:37 AM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Buckeye, US

I am waiting until the release of Maverick, the new OS. Something is up because there have been a number of updates to both iPhoto and Aperture recently and they all say 'stability'. To me that means they are preparing both applications to work with the new OS. It does not make sense to release the new Aperture until then as it most likely will use features not yet available.

I am not only a long time Aperture user, I am also certified to teach it. I recently downloaded, yep even paid for it, Lightroom 5. I then set about learning it as completely as I know how to use Aperture. It does have some very nice features that I would love to see in the new Aperture release. The one thing that I don't like is the lack of brushes (their way of getting the same thing done is cumbersome). I also am not real impressed with the way that libraries/catalogues are handled. The catalogue structure seems to have a very 'windows OS' feeling to it. The one thing that Lightroom has that is nice is what they call lens correction. It allows you to correct distortion in images taken with wide angle lens. If you are already using DxO or Photoshop for this correction this may not be worth moving for.

I have promised to wait until the end of the year before switching over completely. There is quite a bit of work involved if you are going to move your whole library or multiple libraries over.

I hope it happens before then. . . .

mozart11 Registered since 29th Apr 2006Tue 17-Sep-13 01:42 AM
#8. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 7

Mineola, US

I'm running Mavericks and Aperture works great in it and haven't any issues in each build.

So you're planning on moving over to LR?

An aside, if anyone wants to correct chromatic aberration this site posted a great Applescript which works in Aperture. I use Applescript Scripts for so much on my Mac.

http://www.johanfoto.com/2013/07/automatic-ca-correction-in-apple-aperture/

lajolla Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2005Tue 17-Sep-13 05:26 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 8

LaJolla, US

If you are currently running OSX Mavericks you are running the Developer Preview and should not be commenting on your beta version here on public boards. Of course OSX Mavericks when it is released will work well with the current Aperture 3.4.5 and any future Aperture versions.
As for chromatic aberration (CA) adjustments to nef raw files, Aperture 3.4.5 already has an outstanding CA adjustment brick that allows the user to match the CA adjustments available in Nikon JPEG proprietary adjustments (which are available with Nikon Lens Distortion Control updates to your camera body). No need to use an applescript when you can fine tune your own Aperture CA adjustments based on what works best with your own lenses?
But I would not make any major software acquisitions until after the consumer release of OSX Mavericks, and the installation of this new apple OSX on your own mac platform. Compatability of OSX Mavericks with Adobe products is not yet known

krpowers316 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2012Wed 09-Oct-13 11:39 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I gave up on Aperture in January and I have not looked back. Aperture is great, but I really doubt Apple is going to try to compete against Adobe LR. It's not really core for them.

mozart11 Registered since 29th Apr 2006Sat 19-Oct-13 11:22 PM
#11. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 10

Mineola, US

But what does LR do better than current Aperture? I've used them both. I use Aperture and I've worked & bought each version of LR. Except LR5 - my son got it from his college - so I tried this version out too. They're both great. I very much prefer the UI of Aperture. For me it allows me to work a lot faster. For me that makes my decision. The outcome literally can be the same.

>I gave up on Aperture in January and I have not looked back.
>Aperture is great, but I really doubt Apple is going to try to
>compete against Adobe LR. It's not really core for them.

krpowers316 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2012Thu 14-Nov-13 07:47 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 11

Chicago, US

Lightroom does noise reduction better. It does lens (distortion) corrections and Aperture does not. Those are the two that I use the most that LR does better.

I really liked Aperture. The interface is way better. If Apple were going to keep it moving and improving, I'd never have left.

I left myself a path back in case Apple released a competitive 4.0. But I have been with LR a year now and can handle the less intuitive interface. So the value in moving back has been diminished.

lajolla Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2005Sat 16-Nov-13 06:12 PM
#16. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 15

LaJolla, US

Apple released a new Aperture version 3.5.1 on November 14th to fix some bugs in the Aperture version 3.5.0 that was released on October 22nd. And yes, it is necessary to make the free OSX 10.9 Mavericks upgrade and install on your Mac before you can download the new Aperture version 3.5.1 from the Mac AppStore. Good luck.

Jim 1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Wed 23-Oct-13 10:57 AM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Corinth, US

Apple released Aperture 3.5 last night. I just upgraded it, haven't had time to play yet, so don't know how much has changed. It's an update, not an overhaul so mostly bug fixes from what I read.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sun 27-Oct-13 12:52 PM
2973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 12

South Australia, AU

>Apple released Aperture 3.5 last night. I just upgraded it,
>haven't had time to play yet, so don't know how much has
>changed. It's an update, not an overhaul so mostly bug fixes
>from what I read.
I have updated without any problems
Lot of info over on aperture expert dot com
Explains how the library is affected, worth reading
Bit of a problem if you are coming from a much older OS apparently
I'm new to both Mac and Aperture, don't fully understand the implications but appears if you have current precious OS and your Mac is not too old all is OK
Sorry for being so vague, I have got the gist of almost all editing in Aperture but still trying to get my head around Referenced, Managed and Consolidated files in the vaults etc
....Gary

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sat 26-Oct-13 12:13 AM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 26-Oct-13 12:15 AM by kentak

US

I, too, was hoping the allusion in the keynote was to a significant update, perhaps to 4.0. We know now the 3.5 was a maintenance update and likely for compatibility with Mavericks. Was Schiller’s reference to something even more? Maybe, but we’ll have to wait and see.

For my needs, I’m not sure what more I need. I have been using onOne’s Perfect Photo Suite of plug ins and have prepurchased Suite 8. I’m happy with what Aperture 3.x is doing. Then again, I may not know what I need until Apple lets me know I need it.

I like the Apple way of doing things and I like Aperture’s interface and I’m comfortable with it. I would need to see a lot of advantages to move to something else, like Lightroom. Everyone will have a different threshold for that move. For now, I’m good with Aperture, but wouldn’t mind seeing an amazing update in the not distant future.

Kent

lajolla Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2005Tue 17-Dec-13 10:52 PM
#18. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 13

LaJolla, US

Apple released Aperture RAW conversion file update 5.0.2 for the Nikon Df and d5300 today http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1713

Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Tue 08-Apr-14 06:36 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: How long should I wait for Aperture 4"
In response to Reply # 18

Brooklyn, US

Adobe just gave Apple a nudge with Lightroom for iPad's release today. Hopefully Apple will answer...

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1321 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.