Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1294
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture -- Starting out questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 15-Aug-13 07:17 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture -- Starting out questions"

Los Angeles, US

I installed the application last night. It seems like an innovative approach to PP. I can wait to dive into FACES. Wow. There are several questions, and one snag I hit:

a) how does one choose to organize as Project, Folder, Album? (I guess I need more time)

b) when Importing images, is it wise to apply some correction from the Presets? Or to wait?

c) My NIK Collection (Google) Plug Ins are giving me trouble. I created a folder called Plug Ins and dropped it in the Library>Application Assistants>Aperture folder. That didn't work. I did a Google search on the subject, and then created an Edit folder that I tucked into the Plug In folders. When I start up Aperture, and go to Photo>Edit In (drop down menu) the NIK plug ins are there, but they appear grey and won't activate.

i should add I tried this both with RAW (NEF) files and Jpegs. What will fix this?

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Aperture -- Starting out questions
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
16th Aug 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
16th Aug 2013
AMusingFool Silver Member
16th Aug 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
18th Aug 2013
kentak Silver Member
25th Aug 2013

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 16-Aug-13 03:35 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture -- Starting out questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

I'll take a shot at answering your questions:

a) The primary level of organization in Aperture is the Project -- that's where photos live. You can also create albums (dumb or smart) to organize groups of photos for easy access, but the photos still live in Projects. If you delete an album, you don't delete the images. Folders are for organizing projects and albums, but you can't put images directly in Folders.

I use Folders primarily to group my Projects (i.e. Travel 2012, Travel 2013, etc). I use smart albums to quickly access selections (i.e., "best of" whatever).

b) I personally don't apply any corrections on import. I shoot only RAW and let Aperture's RAW conversion engine generate images, which I adjust individually. This is really a matter of taste and preferred workflow.

c) Your Nik Collection problem may be due to the fact that your Nik applications were already installed when you installed Aperture. the Nik installers identify available software that can accept the plug-ins (Aperture, LR, PS). I recommend you uninstall (not just move to Trash) your current Nik package and then reinstall -- you should be able to see during the installation that the Nik elements are being installed to run as plug-ins to Aperture.

Hope this helps,

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 16-Aug-13 04:07 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture -- Starting out questions"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

Gotcha. Will I ever get Aperture smart like you?

You were on the nose about the NIK stuff. It was installed prior to AP.

And I am surprised by what you said about albums. Tossing the album doesn't trash the images it contains.

I'm starting to cruise regularly on the Apple Support - Aperture Forum. Today I'll solve the riddle of Smart Albums. Not sure what that means.

Thanks for your response.

Gary

AMusingFool Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012Fri 16-Aug-13 07:34 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture -- Starting out questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Arlington, US

Yeah, albums don't actually "contain" images, Projects do. Albums just gather references to them in one place. If you delete the images from a Project, they're really gone (although if they're also referenced from an Album, it'll ask to confirm the deletion).

And the difference between normal albums and smart ones is that you individually specify all the images in a normal album (eg: I want picture one and picture ten and picture...). For a smart one, you specify search criteria, and Aperture finds all the hits when you look at the album. (eg: I triaged all my images, putting star ratings on the ones I liked, so I specify, say, all images with 3+ stars for a smart album, and that'll gather them in one place).

Note, too, for future reference, this is also the difference between web pages and smart web pages.

"Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Sun 18-Aug-13 05:25 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aperture -- Starting out questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Geneva, US

Joe Linaschke's website (ApertureExpert.com) is a great resource for new Aperture users. Before leaving Apple Joe was involved in the development of Aperture, so he knows what he's talking about.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 25-Aug-13 11:43 PM
924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Aperture -- Starting out questions"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 25-Aug-13 11:44 PM by kentak

US

Are you a visual learner? I highly recommend the website lynda.com. For a modest monthly subscription you can access tons of instructional video series on a wide range of topics, including several series on Aperture by Derrick Story. You can unsubscribe at any time, so don't worry about being locked into continuing monthly fees once you've finished your desired courses.

Kent

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1294 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.