Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1279
View in linear mode

Subject: "Printing images PLEASE HELP" Previous topic | Next topic
MrSpock2013 Registered since 29th May 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 02:00 AM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Printing images PLEASE HELP"

CA

Hello fellow Nikonians. I need some expert advice here.

I was shooting jpegs with my D600, and the images looked terrible. Based on feedback from some members here, I'm now shooting RAW, and doing my own post-processing with phenomenal results. On screen, my images look brilliant, exactly as I want them to look.

Now, the problem ...

When I send my converted images to be printed at a reputable lab here in London, Ontario, Canada, my prints look nothing like they look on screen. The colours shift, the prints aren't as sharp, and there's an overall dull cast that dampens the vividness of my shots.

So I talked to the lab tech, and followed these steps on her advice:
-make my edits to the RAW files in Aperture
-export the files into Photoshop as 16-bit tiff files
-apply the colour profile of the printer that I was able to download from the lab
-save the image as an 8-bit jpeg and upload it for printing

My monitor is calibrated, the colour profile matches my lab's printer, and I do very basic edits in post-processing.

This has been a nagging issue for me for weeks.

Can anyone recommend a workflow process that I can use in Aperture without having to use Photoshop as well?

Most importantly, can anyone give me any advice on how to have my photos printed so they look like they do on the screen?

Where's the gap? What do I need to do to get accurate prints? I don't understand why this is so difficult. We have technology to run an electrical current along a molecule, but my prints don't match my screen. This has been driving me nuts for months.

Thanks to all for your help.

Mark

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Printing images PLEASE HELP
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
MrSpock2013
26th Jul 2013
lajolla Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
27th Jul 2013
walkerr Administrator
27th Jul 2013

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 26-Jul-13 01:11 PM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Printing images PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 26-Jul-13 01:11 PM by DaveSoderlund

Geneva, US

Mark,

I hope that some Aperture-using printing guru jumps in here and solves your problem. Meanwhie, though I am not sure I have all your answers I can at least tell you what I do. It's not all that complex, and it seems to work.

There are two parts to my workflow, one Mac-specific and one photo lab-specific.

On the Mac side, I shoot RAW, do postprocessing in Aperture and (usually) components of the Nik Suite. The last step is output sharpening -- I use Nik Sharpener Pro 3, optimized for the type of end product (digital display or print). I do this for every one of my images that leaves aperture, either for web display or printing. If you are unhappy with the sharpness of your prints, matching your output sharpening to the end product may help.

The photo lab-specific stuff begins when I export my image from Aperture. This depends on the specifications (resolution in ppi, color space, printer profile, etc) provided by my lab. One important variable that gets overlooked is image brightness -- we tend to like our computer displays bright, and if I do not back off on display brightness when preparing images to print I will get significant disparities between the displayed and printed image.

For printing I work with an outfit called iPrintFromHome in Buffalo, NY. They offer a downloadable test image as a jpg file and will send you a packet of 4x6 prints of the same image on all of the paper media that they offer (both inkjet and photographic process). When my image on the screen looks (in terms of brightness and color rendition) like the same image that they've printed using the process/paper I plan to use then I have confidence that with appropriate sharpening the print will come out like I want.

Hope some of this is useful,

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

MrSpock2013 Registered since 29th May 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 01:43 PM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Printing images PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Some great bits of advice here, Dave. I appreciate you sharing your process.

Currently, my problem is colour ... See attached photo ... I've got a beautiful range of blues, and the two different printers I experimented with here can't reproduce what you see on the screen. The blues morph into purple, and the entire shot has a bizarre, muted look that dulls the colours.

I don't understand how I can:
(1) shoot RAW
(2) convert to jpeg after postprocessing
(3) create an image that looks excellent on a screen
(4) send this identical file for printing and get something totally different

My images are pure computer data, and I don't understand what's happening.

I, too, hope an Aperture guru can shed some light here.

Thanks again, Dave.

Mark

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

lajolla Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2005Fri 26-Jul-13 08:45 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Printing images PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 27-Jul-13 01:08 AM by lajolla

LaJolla, US

Thanks for sharing the image - very nice ultrablue and purple hues - and you should be able to get those hues on a print from a good lab. All good labs utilize the latest color management technology. A lab's digital systems are calibrated and profiled, enabling accurate and consistent control. When the lab tech sees a display of an image on their calibrated monitors, what they see should match closely with the same printed image from any of their various printing output devices. But different computer systems and output devices will display and print files differently. What you see on your monitor will likely be different from what the lab sees on their monitor. But the differences should not be as great as you clearly are obtaining, especially if you have calibrated your own monitor.
You do not necessarily need to use Photoshop in order to export the appropriate file your lab requests. They have given you their own color printer profile from the version of Photoshop they use. And then they are asking you to export the file from Aperture into Photoshop as a 16-bit tiff file - and then applying their printer profile to the image in your own copy of Photoshop. You shouldn't have to export the file from Aperture to Photoshop as a 16 bit TIFF just to add their printer and printer color profiles. But you can if you want. Aperture allows you to use Photoshop as an external editor and many people choose to do so for many good reasons. But I think it preferable to simply export your image to the lab directly from Aperture - setting your Aperture export file specifications to what your lab requires. If you still are getting strange shifts in your colors with the labs printed output, the problem likely is with the lab and their own color management system?
If you checkout the latest Aperture manual (for version 3.4.5) regarding Chapter 18 printing images and Chapter 19 exporting images, you will get a clearer idea of what I am referring to:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Aperture_3_User_Manual.pdf

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 27-Jul-13 02:20 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Printing images PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

Because you are shooting RAW, you can at least exclude the camera as the problem.

It may be that the ICC color profiles are being mixed. Inside Aperture 3 you are probably working with sRGB or ProPhoto RGB when adjusting the RAW photo. Then importing into Photoshop as a TIFF will likely turn the color profile into AdobeRGB. Adobe RGB has some slightly different colors for the same R, G, and B values as sRGB.

The other thing to be aware of is that many print labs have an option to color correct the photo. Make sure that is turned off.

You might explore those areas.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 27-Jul-13 02:35 PM
14527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Printing images PLEASE HELP"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

>
>So I talked to the lab tech, and followed these steps on her
>advice:
>-make my edits to the RAW files in Aperture
>-export the files into Photoshop as 16-bit tiff files
>-apply the colour profile of the printer that I was able to
>download from the lab
>-save the image as an 8-bit jpeg and upload it for printing
>

When you "apply" a color profile in Photoshop, are you converting it or assigning it? It's important that you convert it. Assigning it will definitely mess up your color. Quite frankly, if I print something at a commercial printer, I'll often just use sRGB in those situations due to inconsistencies with labs. At home, I'll use a wider color space.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1279 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.