nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
MrSpock2013

CA
55 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
MrSpock2013 Registered since 29th May 2013
Fri 26-Jul-13 02:00 AM

Hello fellow Nikonians. I need some expert advice here.

I was shooting jpegs with my D600, and the images looked terrible. Based on feedback from some members here, I'm now shooting RAW, and doing my own post-processing with phenomenal results. On screen, my images look brilliant, exactly as I want them to look.

Now, the problem ...

When I send my converted images to be printed at a reputable lab here in London, Ontario, Canada, my prints look nothing like they look on screen. The colours shift, the prints aren't as sharp, and there's an overall dull cast that dampens the vividness of my shots.

So I talked to the lab tech, and followed these steps on her advice:
-make my edits to the RAW files in Aperture
-export the files into Photoshop as 16-bit tiff files
-apply the colour profile of the printer that I was able to download from the lab
-save the image as an 8-bit jpeg and upload it for printing

My monitor is calibrated, the colour profile matches my lab's printer, and I do very basic edits in post-processing.

This has been a nagging issue for me for weeks.

Can anyone recommend a workflow process that I can use in Aperture without having to use Photoshop as well?

Most importantly, can anyone give me any advice on how to have my photos printed so they look like they do on the screen?

Where's the gap? What do I need to do to get accurate prints? I don't understand why this is so difficult. We have technology to run an electrical current along a molecule, but my prints don't match my screen. This has been driving me nuts for months.

Thanks to all for your help.

Mark

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Printing images PLEASE HELP

G