Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1257
View in linear mode

Subject: "Getting photo's onto iPad 3" Previous topic | Next topic
srbrsn11 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Sun 09-Jun-13 08:05 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Getting photo's onto iPad 3"

Birmingham, US

I have a Nikon D700 canera. I want to get jpeg photo's on the iPad3. I purchased a "Lightning to USB Camera adapter". I also own a USB adapter for Compactflash, which is useless. Using LR4.4 I have exported my jpegs to compact disk but when I attach it to the iPad it says there are no photo's on the disk. My camera says the same, no images, but I can view the pics if I attached the compact disk to my PC. Any suggestions?

Also if you no a simplier way to get my pics from the IBM PC in LR to the iPad (or iCloud) I would appreciate it!

Steve Roberson

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Getting photo's onto iPad 3
glxman Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
ecossephoto
12th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
ecossephoto
13th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
jrp Administrator
12th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
12th Jun 2013

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 12-Jun-13 07:20 AM
2819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Getting photo's onto iPad 3"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 12-Jun-13 07:23 AM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Hi Steve,
I have a D700 as well, soon found out the CF card was not going to work
Here are my 3 solutions,
1. Hook up the D700 and download straight from the camera,
I only do this if I want too look at images as a check when I'm on the road as these larger files are too large to be sustainable in the future. The other thing is I got an app called PhotoRaw which enables you to convert them to jpeg
2. For a quick transfer from the wife's PC to the iPad, I convert them to jpeg,
Make the longest side 900 and get them down to about 300 Kbps which is easier on the iPads memory
3. Lastly,
a. I set up a folder in pictures called "iPad Pic Sync"
b. download iTunes ( you will need to select this folder in iTunes, once done, its set until you change it)
c. copy the resized jpegs you want on your iPad to the iPad Pic Sync folder
d. Hook up your iPad to the PC and sync
Now your selected images will be on the iPad

I'm sure there are easier ways but thats how I do it,
I also just email the images from the wife's PC to my iPad, (we have separate emails)
Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed!

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Wed 12-Jun-13 07:52 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Getting photo's onto iPad 3"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

If my experience of people sharing photos on a trip is anything to go on then......
Hooking up the camera direct is the easiest option.

What is hard is exporting them back off.
The guy who owned the iPad had no idea how to do it and we couldn't figure out a way either.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 12-Jun-13 08:24 AM
2819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Getting photo's onto iPad 3"
In response to Reply # 2

South Australia, AU

>If my experience of people sharing photos on a trip is
>anything to go on then......
>Hooking up the camera direct is the easiest option.
>
>What is hard is exporting them back off.
>The guy who owned the iPad had no idea how to do it and we
>couldn't figure out a way either.
Hi there,
I just hook the iPad up to the PC and the PC just thinks its another drive, (Dont let it sync with iTunes) and upload the images off the iPad

I don't have to do that very often unless I want to get some of my AW100 images off

As for exporting them back off, I very seldom do this as I just, "carry a hatful of cards" and they are not formatted until I get home and have the images backed up on 2 drives, I'm not a pro and my images are just average but still don't want to loose them
Regards
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

ecossephoto Registered since 21st Jun 2012Thu 13-Jun-13 06:22 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Getting photo's onto iPad 3"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Ah!
Let me explain.
It was a cycling holiday (no relatives) and our objective was to load everyone's shots onto the iPad and then copy them all on to each other's cards so we each had a complete set.
i.e. I have no photos with me in them and the copies I get via Facebook are too low quality to do much with.
The others think that the quality/size of these photos is more than good enough but that is another subject.
This will not be a common scenario.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 13-Jun-13 06:54 AM
#7. "RE: Getting photo's onto iPad 3"
In response to Reply # 6

South Australia, AU

Well,
Tricky that one!
I really think someone would have to have a laptop to perform that task,
The idea was good I guess but not doable IMHO
You can get them in there with the camera connection kit but getting them out requires a computer
Cards are not that expensive now so carry lots on those trips, Im sure nobody I'd going to be carrying a memory hungry D800
Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 12-Jun-13 07:55 AM
33936 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Getting photo's onto iPad 3"
In response to Reply # 1

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Gary,
That's exactly how I use it and it works very well.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 12-Jun-13 08:28 AM
#5. "RE: Getting photo's onto iPad 3"
In response to Reply # 3

South Australia, AU

Hi JRP,
Actually, I have to confess, all I have at the moment is an iPad, doing all the other stuff on other people's PCs,
Mine transpired, getting old like me
Going iMac this time around
I'm hanging off syncing until I get my new Mac
Regards,
Gary

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1257 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.