nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1254
View in linear mode

Subject: "Moving images from MBP HD" Previous topic | Next topic
MikeBee Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 08-Jun-13 02:33 PM
412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Moving images from MBP HD"

Stamford, US

Hi,

I am now within 30GB of maxing out my MBP HD. I have bought an NAS RAID 1 setup which I will be connecting to my router. I would like to move all my images over onto the new external drive, but would like to keep them connected through the previews/thumbnails/albums etc already in Aperture. So basically using the external disk as the main workhorse.

For new images coming in, I was thinking of using the MBP HD only for editing .

On importing from the camera cards I'd like to be able to make and put them in an album/folder etc in Aperture with preview/thumbnails, but send the actual image files to the external disk.

I haven't been able to understand if this is possible or not, so any help with your experience in either how to make this setup or doing something similar/more efficient would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Mike

www.beresford-photos.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Sat 08-Jun-13 11:15 PM
436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Moving images from MBP HD"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

Mike,

The answer to your question begins with your choice of whether to have your original images MANAGED (stored within your Aperture library) or REFERENCED (stored outside of Aperture). Choosing the MANAGED option makes for very large Aperture libraries (sounds like what you are doing now). With REFERENCED images, all of the thumbnails and edits live in Aperture, but the originals live elsewhere and are called upon by Aperture when needed. Either way, you can move the library of images off of your MBP hard drive and still use it. (However, if you use an Aperture Vault to back up a library the vault will only back up MANAGED originals -- REFERENCED originals need to be backed up like ordinary files outside of Aperture.)

I choose to use the MANAGED images option because it gives me a sense of security about where all of my originals are located and allows me to create a vault for backup, which lives on a different hard drive than my primary Time Machine backup. I just upgraded the hard drive in my MBP to 1TB so I have plenty of room on my hard drive for all my images, thereby avoiding your dilemma at least for now. (Have you considered the MBP hard drive upgrade option, or have you already done this are now once again space-challenged?) However, I have a MacBook Air that I use when I travel, and on those occasions I make a new trip-specific Aperture library on the MBA. This allows me to download, sort, and back up images while traveling. When I get home I put the MBA in target disk mode and move the trip library to the MBP, then merge it into my main Aperture library. In general I find the use of these mini-libraries to be an efficient way to manage the initial phase of image ingestion, rating, sorting, and processing. Usually by the time I merge something into my main library I have whittled it down pretty well, which helps control overall library bloat. Another strategy that some Aperture users employ is to split their primary Aperture library into multiple libraries either chronologically (ie, by calendar year) or topically. If this would work for you, it would allow you to keep the smaller contemporary library on your MBP hard drive and the archival libraries on external drives. I do this to keep my libraries for my personal pictures (big!) and work-related pictures (much smaller) separate.

I'm afraid I haven't actually answered your question, but maybe I've provided a couple ways to think about it...

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

MikeBee Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 09-Jun-13 02:19 PM
412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Moving images from MBP HD"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 09-Jun-13 02:28 PM by MikeBee

Stamford, US

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time. As you say it doesn't actually answer my questions, but your reply does give me some more food for thought. When I started with Aperture I didn't understand the difference between managed and referenced, so all my images are "managed". I thought about upgrading the HD, but then i thought that was not the long term solution, so I have gone the route of a 2x3tb external HDs. I think a big issue/help will be culling images better on/shortly after importing, something I have not been very disciplined doing.

My main concern is still how do I move all my images off the MBP to the external hard disk? I don't see any option on how to do that in Aperture. But maybe I am not looking in the right place, or I'm not understanding the verbiage.

thanks

Mike

www.beresford-photos.com

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Mon 10-Jun-13 03:16 PM
436 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Moving images from MBP HD"
In response to Reply # 2

Geneva, US

Mike,

As I understand it as long as you have a managed Aperture library you will need to move the entire library to a new location. Aperture doesn't care where the library file (actually a folder) is located. You could physically move your Aperture library from its MBP hard drive location (by default in the Pictures folder within your User folder, unless you have already moved it) to your external drive). You do this just like you'd move any other file or folder at the Finder level, not within Aperture. Access to the library would not change -- Aperture by default opens to the last library used, and the "Switch to Library..." command (File menu) allows you to navigate to any location or drive that is currently connected to you your computer. If the read/write speeds of the internal HD and the external array differ significantly you will notice a difference in performance. (And of course, you'd lose the option of carrying your library with you if you travel with the MBP.) These two issues (read/write speed advantage for the internal HD; access to library while away from desk) are, to me, the best arguments for splitting a too-large Aperture library into some sort of current vs archival arrangement and keeping the current library on the internal HD.

As an aside, another hidden source of library bloat is the use of external image editors (e.g., Photoshop, Nik, onOne, etc). Every time I make a round trip to one of these editors the file comes back as a 16-bit TIFF that is about 5x the size of the original RAW file. I have become more alert to this and try to trash externally post-processed images that are not keepers.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

MikeBee Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberMon 10-Jun-13 11:35 AM
#3. "RE: Moving images from MBP HD"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

I have done a whole lot of Googling and seems all i can do is "relocate originals", which moves most but not all.

Mike

www.beresford-photos.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1254 Previous topic | Next topic