Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1251
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another Aperture Question" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 07-Jun-13 05:13 AM
3007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Another Aperture Question"

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys,
Just finalising a few things before I pull the trigger on Aperture
First, I must admit, I'm still apprehensive about putting my original NEF files into Aperture

Question,
If I get all my files sorted in Aperture,
1. Does it keep the original NEF?
2. If I am struggling with presets in Aperture and I have a deadline to get the PP to look like I want,
Can I export the original NEF to CNX2 and do all the edits?
3. If I export this file, does Aperture copy to CNX2 or move the file?
4. Lastly, if I import the CNX2 edited file back into Aperture, even though Aperture wont be able to "see" those edits, does that file still retain all the CNX 2 edits

Sorry for the long winded questions,
I could stay with CNX2 I guess but digital asset management is getting out of control,
I may end up with presets that I like and just use Aperture for all my editing, but would like the "security" of still being able to use CNX2
Regards
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Another Aperture Question
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
07th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
07th Jun 2013
AMusingFool Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
paul_7e Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
glxman Silver Member
13th Jun 2013

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Fri 07-Jun-13 01:17 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Another Aperture Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Buckeye, US

Hi Gary,

Aperture keeps your original NEF (assuming you are shooting RAW). The application creates a preview that you see and can edit. It stores those edits separately from the original NEF (nondestructive editing). The preview is not another file per se but rather small simple instructions that are applied to the image when you click on it. Keeps the library size down.

You can export originals to a folder on your desktop (on any other place for that matter). Go to FILE, Export, Originals . . . direct to where you want them. One important piece of information is to Create new Folder which comes up after the first window when you select Export. Just look around.

Once you have a folder with your original NEF files you can put them in CNX2 or any other editing program of your choice. Aperture will not copy to another editing program directly.

Once you have edited the photos somewhere else you can simply import them back into Aperture. I have not moved imported photos from CNX2 into Aperture so am not sure . . . but here is a guess . . . when you export the image out of CNX2 is the image now a jpeg or tiff? If so the edits remain. If you once again export it as an original with a NEF designation it most probably will not retain the edits. I would imagine that CNX2 is non-destructive but may be very wrong on this so check it first.

One note, when you export photos from Aperture, you have a choice of exporting the originals or versions. In either case, the photos remain in Aperture. Keep this in mind when you decide to re-import. Since the original NEF is still in Aperture you may decide to only import an edited 'version' back into Aperture. That is the same process if you use a plug-in to edit or send images to a stand-alone such as PhotoMatix.

Best of luck. Aperture is a pretty powerful and yet simply application once you get proficient at it. Let me know if you have further questions.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 07-Jun-13 01:48 PM
3007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Another Aperture Question"
In response to Reply # 1

South Australia, AU

Thank you for your detailed reply Carol,
Much appreciated,
Yes, Nikon Capture NX2 is non destructive and I only shoot raw
I guess I should try to work out a good preset for Aperture with the D700,
I have become very confident with CNX2 but I'm most probably restricting my workflow by sticking with one option
Would be nice to also use the Nik Sofware package as well
Will give Aperture a try, a lot cheaper than Light Room
And who knows, could end up in the clouds
Regards,
Gary

AMusingFool Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012Wed 12-Jun-13 02:12 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Another Aperture Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Arlington, US

If you think you're going to use Aperture and CNX2 regularly, you probably want to look into Catapult ($29). It'll handle the export/import from Aperture for you, and associate the edits (from CNX2) with the originals in Aperture.

"Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 13-Jun-13 02:43 AM
#4. "RE: Another Aperture Question"
In response to Reply # 3

South Australia, AU

Hi David
Been surfing the net, cannot find it,
Is catapult associated with another program?
....Gary

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberThu 13-Jun-13 02:55 AM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Another Aperture Question"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Here's the link for the Catapult plug-in:

http://brushedpixel.com/

Paul

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 13-Jun-13 03:59 AM
#6. "RE: Another Aperture Question"
In response to Reply # 5

South Australia, AU

Thank you Paul
Much appreciated, that one is on the list now
Regards,
Gary

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1251 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.