nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #125
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture 3 missing files" Previous topic | Next topic
engine_man_2t Registered since 30th Jan 2009Mon 16-Aug-10 04:38 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture 3 missing files"

US

I switched to Mac about 6 months ago. At that time I also started Aperture 3 (prior I was using PS elements 5).

I have about 15,000 plus images, and they are from 10 years of photos, scans and digital images.

Recently 3 different aperture projects with 75-300 pictures in them failed to load photos, I have insured that no filters are blocking the images...ie filter is set to show all...I can find the photos in there location (a WD 750GB external HD) with finder; however I cannot get aperture to load the photo previews. The only way that I have been able to see the photos in aperture at all is to create a new library and import the photos in the new library; however I loose all the work that was done to the photos in the previous library.

I have posted questions in Apples forum, as well as aperture expert website forum with no response yet.

Here is a brief look at my current set-up:

2009 15" MacBook Pro

Latest OS, 10.? set up to automatically update OS

Aperture 3 (box set) no download also updated automatically

WD 750GB external HD where all photos are stored, connected directly to computer USB port

Work-flow as follows:

Photos from Nikon D300s, D200, D40 (SanDisk Extreme 300X cards (SD & CF))

Imported to aperture3 with: CF cards (Lexar 5n1) card reader through USB port; SD cards through the SD reader on the 15" macbook pro 2009 model

Aperture 3 import settings:
New project (name project XXX)
Files copied to external WD 750GB hard drive...Dir structure as follows

WD/pictures/date/xxx.jpg or xxx.nef

I usually do nothing during the import/copying phase; however ocassionally will look through the images as the library is processing.

Once all processing is complete some tagging, and coding of the images are done

then adjusting

after that export versions of the 5star images to a folder on the desktop

from there create CD

Then delete folder from desktop

This has been my work-flow for the last 4-5 months with no issues.

Recently; however I have been experiencing crashes during almost every editing session, and what is more disturbing than the crashes is photos missing in project libraries, the library info has the photo count but cannot see any photos.

I have verified that I do not have any filters hiding images.

Thanks,

Robert

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DavidNM Registered since 11th Feb 2009Sat 21-Aug-10 08:33 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture 3 missing files"
In response to Reply # 0

Grants, US

I'm going to throw 2 things your way that cone to mind.

1. Is it happening today? I know that Apple recently had a software update that corrected some crashing issues w/ some games and with Aperture 3.

2. Memory? If you can replicate - try restarting the machine and making sure nothing else is running except Aperture. This may help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #125 Previous topic | Next topic