Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1233
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture, Adobe DNG and ViewNX2: we have a winner" Previous topic | Next topic
DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 08-May-13 12:02 AM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture, Adobe DNG and ViewNX2: we have a winner"

Geneva, US

Hi, all--

I just moved from a D90 to a D7100, which is not supported (yet) by Aperture's RAW converter. So, I installed Nikon's View NX2 and Adobe's DNG converter (free) to see which one would convert D7100 RAW files to something I wanted to work with in Aperture.

In short, it was no contest: the Adobe DNG file conversion was relatively quick (didn't collect benchmark data here), and the files were imported quickly and cleanly into Aperture 3. Most important (for me) is that the RAW Fine Tuning and White Balance adjustment bricks were available, just as they are with my D90 RAW files converted by Aperture.

I tried to do the same thing with ViewNX2, and it wasn't pretty. The file sizes of the 16-bit TIFF files exported from ViewNX2 were on the order of 150 MB ( vs ~30 MB for the DNG files from the Adobe DNG converter). After letting the computer grind through the conversion process for a while (~1.5 h for 380 images and still >100 remaining to convert), I finally bailed when my hard disk capacity became the limiting factor. (Note to self: need to fix the HD capacity problem!) At that point, I also bailed from a rigorous, scientific side-by-side comparison of the two RAW conversion pathways.

Here's my bottom line from this less-than-perfect comparison: if you are using a D7100 (or any other camera, for that matter) that is not (yet) supported by Aperture's RAW converter, run (don't walk!) to the Adobe website, download the Adobe DNG converter and get your files into aperture by that route. (It pains me to offer this advice iIn light of Adobe's new screw-the-customer approach to selling Adobe CS by subscription only, but that's how it is.)

With any luck this is just a temporary fix and Apple will provide a Camera RAW upgrade that includes the D7100.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gorji Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2007Wed 29-May-13 01:45 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture, Adobe DNG and ViewNX2: we have a winner"
In response to Reply # 0

Jamesville, US

Thanks for your post.
I've become interested in Aperture after Adobe's new policy. Not only will I not upgrade from CS6, I am thinking of dumping Lightroom and moving over to Aperture.
Gorji
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1233 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.