Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1222
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?" Previous topic | Next topic
Gimbal Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2011Sun 05-May-13 05:41 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"

Toronto, CA

Am I in the wrong forum? I recently switched from D7000 to D7100 and still can't upload my RAW files to Aperture, which I have to be able to do by May 16th when I'm taking the Urban and Street Photography course in Toronto. So I'm considering finally using LR4 for the first time. If I do so, can I transfer all my Aperture 3.4.4 RAW 4.05 - Build 690.1 Library to LR4 and if so, how?

Perhaps it would be a smart move for me to switch to LR4 anyway?

Advice much appreciated.

Gimbal

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Apert...
km6xz Moderator
05th May 2013
Gimbal Silver Member
06th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
05th May 2013
Gimbal Silver Member
06th May 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
05th May 2013
Pdavid2 Silver Member
06th May 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
06th May 2013
Gimbal Silver Member
06th May 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
07th May 2013
highball
29th May 2013
socrreferee Silver Member
31st May 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 05-May-13 06:27 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

You will probably get more information from the Apple software forum on Nikonians:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=320

But in a nutshell, LR and Aperture do not read adjustments done in the other so you can see original files in LR if your photos are in regular Finder directories and import them but not any modifications or adjustments done to them.
It is probably a good time to start thinking of long term goals, Aperture seems to be a low priority for Apple, which has greatly reduced updates and introductions of new software products since they have become primarily a tablet and phone company. The prospects of them suddenly devoting a lot of attention to the relatively small desktop software market are not great.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gimbal Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2011Mon 06-May-13 06:44 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

Thanks for your advice Stan. I've decided to make the switch — best for the longer term. I will run Aperture for Before Switch and LR4 for After Switch in parallel.

My only hold-up is to confirm first that my PP software installed for Aperture will work seamlessly on LR4 at no additional cost. I believe Photomatix Pro has a new LR plug-in.

Gimbal

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 05-May-13 11:02 AM
893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The RAW conversion should be coming soon, but you can't count on it for your deadline. Have you considered a free Lightroom trial download as a solution for your immediate need?

Kent

Gimbal Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2011Mon 06-May-13 06:50 AM
#5. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

Thanks, a good suggestion, but I'm going to bite the bullet and go LR. Apart from Apple's disinterest, Aperture has become a backwater lacking access to countless presets and dedicated tutorials, webinars, etc.

Gimbal

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Sun 05-May-13 09:06 PM
359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

As a confirmed Aperture user with a new D7100 I am in the same boat. If you want to stay with your familiar Aperture workflow, I think you have three options until Apple issues their next Camera Raw update (I check for it almost daily at support.apple.com/downloads/):

1) Shoot RAW+JPEG, import the JPEG files, and save the RAW files to disk from your SD card, and import selected files later for reprocessing from RAW when Apple gets it s#*t together.
2) Use the Nikon's ViewNX2, which came with the D7100, to convert D7100 RAW files into 16-bit TIFF files and import those into Aperture.
3) Use Adobe's free digital negative (.DNG) converter, which supports the D7100, to convert RAW files to DNG files and then import those into Aperture.

So far I have done (1) with my D7100, and I was reminded once again why I switched early on to RAW format for files from my D90. I haven't tried (2) or (3) yet, but I expect to be doing a lot of shooting next weekend. Before then, I might take a set of .NEF files from the D7100 and convert them in both ViewNX2 and Adobe DNG converter, import them into Aperture, and see which one I like best. (QUESTION: Anyone reading this already tried this? Any suggestions or recommendations?)

As far as I am concerned, these are stopgap measures until Apple updates Camera Raw. I will switch to Lightroom, kicking and screaming, when and only when Apple signals that Aperture is dead. (Just my bias...)

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Pdavid2 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Mon 06-May-13 04:31 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 3

Marquette, US

I've been converting to 16-bit TIFF until Aperture updates. Working fine so far.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdavid2/

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 06-May-13 08:40 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 07-May-13 12:13 AM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

The lack of progress with Apple & Aperture makes me sad. I am in limbo. In the next few weeks need to buy a new computer (iMac) and PP software. In order to educate myself while I wait, I read Peter Krogh's The DAM Book. What an education.

Despite the minor shortcomings in AP, I was really, really attracted to AP because of the streamlined workflow. But he brings up serious flaws at not recognizing DNG files. It seems that DNG is the wave of the future in that it bundles RAW (including NEF), with intermediate edits and a preview fall in one jacket (or envelope). Tiff would do the same thing, but Tiff files are three times as large.

Is it foolish to wait for Apple to get smart in this area?

Gimbal Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Apr 2011Mon 06-May-13 10:34 PM
#8. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 7

Toronto, CA

Hi brave Aperture users:

I think that this thread shows that not many of us Mac Nikonians still use Aperture and converting to TIFF as a stopgap measure has its drawbacks as discussed in these posts:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51030578

I've resigned myself to finding familiar paths in the new territory and my current problem is linking my existing PP programs with Lightroom 4.4. Nik (Google) promptly sent me a new download link at no charge, which I installed but can't find as a plug-in, so I've written them again.

If my livelihood depended on this, I'm sure I would have fled the Aperture coop long ago.

Gimbal

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Tue 07-May-13 02:00 AM
359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 8

Geneva, US

Have you seen the new Adobe BS about cloud-only? This is bad news for non-pro (i.e., write it off as a business expense) users.

I'm convinced Apple will continue to come through, but it may require a few weeks of patience.

If you are working in a Windows environment (poor you), go ahead and throw your lot in with Adobe. If you are not contaminated by the Windows environment, wait a bit and see what develops.

(Obvious bias in what appears above, for which I claim full responsibility).

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

highball Registered since 25th Nov 2006Wed 29-May-13 03:58 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 9

Champaign, US

Got tired of waiting for Apple to update the Aperture program to read D7100 raw files so I made the switch from Aperture to LR 4 last weekend. It was not difficult but was time consuming. I exported all of my Aperture Projects as originals to an external HD. Took about 6 hours for some 20,000 files to be exported.

I had a free copy of LR 4 that came with my Leica M9 or X1, can't remember which. Anyway, the import of the Aperture originals into LR 4 was easy and took only about 15 minutes or so on my iMac i7. You can pick up the basics of using LR in an hour or so and then go into as much detail as you want later on.

Some aspects of Aperture I will miss such as the slide show and book publishing support which are second to none. LR, however, is already starting to feel comfortable. Glad I made the switch.

D800
Fuji X100S
D7100
SP
Leica M7
Leica M9
Leica X1
SB-910

socrreferee Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Fri 31-May-13 04:02 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Why am I the only one asking this question re Aperture?"
In response to Reply # 10

Little Rock, US

Just so you know, I believe that OS X Lion provides system-level support for digital camera RAW formats, not Aperture.

Apple just released an update to OS X lion yesterday which supports the D7100 NEF file format.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1222 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.