nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Apple Post-Processing (Public) topic #1211
View in linear mode

Subject: "Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member  Los Angeles, US  Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012 Fri 12-Apr-13 01:36 AM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"

I'm curious. Although the best and most logical opinion is that if Aperture stayed the same for 5 years it would still have features and power to equal LightRoom.

I've downloaded the user manual pdf and read a few pages every day. The program seems so civil and approachable. I can hear the voice of photographers in the wording.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4? luckyphoto Gold Member
16th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4? krpowers316 Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4? klrbee25 Silver Member
27th Apr 2013
     Reply message RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4? krpowers316 Silver Member
27th Apr 2013
     Reply message RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4? AMusingFool Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
          Reply message RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4? Bravozulu Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
               Reply message RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4? kentak Silver Member
07th May 2013
Reply message RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4? John Bertotti Gold Member
08th May 2013
09th May 2013

luckyphoto Gold Member  Port Charlotte, US  Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010 Tue 16-Apr-13 02:59 PM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 0

While I'm a diehard Aperture fan I look at what Apple has done or not done with software recently. Here are the last updates on the major Apple software packages.

iWork '09 2009
iLife '11 2011
Logic Pro 9 2011
Aperture 3 2010
Final Cut X 2010

When was the last time you saw a Mac software package released or updated? Rather than say yes or no to new software, they just stay silent and don't care if you move to a competitor.

I believe Apple is slowly killing off the iMac and MacBook in favor of the iPad and iPhone, so the lack of software updates makes sense. OS X is being replaced by iOS.

I'm not saying Apple is right in their approach and I'm definitely not running out to buy an iPad. I didn't buy a bunch of expensive photographic equipment to view my work on an iPhone and I'm definitely not going to hold my iPad with one hand while I try to edit my photos with my finger.

Apple shot themselves in the foot with their stance on Blu Ray and I believe they still have some bullets left in the gun!

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

krpowers316 Silver Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 15th Oct 2012 Tue 23-Apr-13 02:14 AM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 0

I switched January 1 from Aperture to LR. I did this, not because I dislike Aperture, but I doubt its future. It is great. But I too think Apple has given up on it.

I left myself a path back to Aperture in case I am wrong. But it looks less and less likely.

P.S. Now that I learned LR, I really like it too.

klrbee25 Silver Member  Naples, US  Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006 Sat 27-Apr-13 01:12 PM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 2

I keep trying Lightroom now and again and just can't grow to like it. I think I'm annoyed that there are three additional modules I never touch (Print, Slideshow, and Web). And for all the glitz of the added features, my output files still look essentially the same as I can get from Aperture. For those times I need more advanced editing, a round trip to PS CS6 is simple in Aperture so things like healing brushes in LR aren't all that appealing. Finally, all my Aperture plugins are a bit tricky to go back and get working in LR.

I want to convert to LR, but nothing I've found is making it 'stick'.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

krpowers316 Silver Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 15th Oct 2012 Sat 27-Apr-13 01:41 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yes, the workflow in Aperture is superior in many ways. But I have to say the modules end up not being a negative after you get some experience in LR4.

Honestly, if Apple is going to support it as a tool for professionals, then I would stick with it too.

AMusingFool Silver Member  Arlington, US  Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012 Tue 30-Apr-13 07:22 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 3

Just curious (Aperture user, but not PS)... the roundtrip you talked about... Is that just exporting the version (as 16-bit tiff, I assume), then reimporting PS edits (that's what I do for PTGui)? Or is there a way to make that more convenient?

"Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"

Bravozulu Silver Member  Los Angeles, US  Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012 Tue 30-Apr-13 08:50 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 30-Apr-13 09:40 PM by Bravozulu

I am currently reading The D.A.M. Book, by Peter Krogh. Everyone involved with PP should read it. One of the long goals for any photographer (and this goes back to film days) is the longevity of the media. DAM stands for Digital Asset Management.

In the case of DSLR, that means will computers 15 years from now be able to read the image files? And that goes for PP software as well. The 'magic bullet' just devised by Adobe is the DNG format of saving files. DNG is an image source file that encapsulates (bundles in an envelope) the original proprietary source code of the Nikon or Canon Raw files. And adds on metadata, sidecar, and changes made that don't alter the RAW original. All this is non-destructive to the original.

So with the DNG format, you see quick previews showing the latest edits, and it reduces file size significantly compared to TIFF and other formats.

Adobe has published the source code for DNG, and so any software invented — say 5 years from now — if it incorporates DNG capability will read that bundle and work with it. Any programer would have to have rocks in his head not to take advantage of this marvelous method of ensuring universality of our precious files. And, as Krogh points out. Adobe has a long history of honoring universal files. Think of .pdf files. That's the broad thinking of Adobe.

It will be awhile before I get a new iMac that will run PP stuff. In the time I wait, I will base my buying decision (AP/LR) largely on whether or not the Apple people are sane enough to incorporate the DNG format into Aperture. If they don't, Aperture is doomed to obsolesence. Can anyone please tell me how to correctly spell - obsolecense?

kentak Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010 Tue 07-May-13 05:31 AM
931 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 6

The following footnote appears on Apple's Aperture Tech Specs page:

"Aperture works with most DNG files generated from cameras that support this format and with DNG files generated by the Adobe DNG Converter with the “Convert to Linear Image” option turned off."

Is this germane to your concern?

Kent

John Bertotti Gold Member  Garretson, US  Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012 Wed 08-May-13 10:40 PM
764 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't help but wonder with adobe doing an in the cloud kind of deal if apple isn't headed that direction with aperture as well. If they are then I really don't know what I think of that.

krpowers316 Silver Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 15th Oct 2012 Thu 09-May-13 01:01 AM
#9. "RE: Are there rumblings of an Aperture v4?"
In response to Reply # 8

If Apple ever wanted to make a move with Aperture and take some market share, now would be the time for them to release Aperture 4.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Apple Post-Processing (Public) topic #1211 Previous topic | Next topic