Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1174
View in linear mode

Subject: "Plug-ins for Aperture" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 10-Mar-13 07:10 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Plug-ins for Aperture"

Los Angeles, US

After pestering you folks, and getting savvy advice, I've decided my Workflow will start with Aperture. (whoopee for Apple

I was put off initially, and thus leaning towards LightRoom because it will work with DxO. Aperture won't. Then, a few posters informed asked me what DxO features I need. When I answered :

Shadow recover
Perspective distortion control
Noise removal DxO provides these in spades

They answered that I can get all three with other plug-ins that will work with Apeture.

So, what flavor Plug-ins do I buy to complement Aperture? (Running on a Mac)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 10-Mar-13 08:48 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Plug-ins for Aperture"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

For noise, I like Topaz Denoise
For lens distortion, I like PT Lens
For shadow recovery, I like the shadow recovery slider built into Aperture. It works very well. The highlight slider works very well also.

Visit my gallery.

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Mon 11-Mar-13 07:29 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Plug-ins for Aperture"
In response to Reply # 0

Jupiter, US

I really like the Nik plugin suite. Their use of control points in all the apps gives you tremendous control. Dfine works for noise and Viveza is terrific for shadow recovery as well. I also use PTLens which, as the previous poster noted, works great for distortion control.

Enjoy Aperture! Let's hope Apple with Aperture and Google with Nik keep investing in development!

Cheers,

Bill

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 11-Mar-13 07:41 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Plug-ins for Aperture"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

The mystery just got more complicated. On the Digital Review forum a guy answered my question and said his top pick for PP was PhotoNinja.

I went to their website. And PhotoNinja seems to do it all. Plus it dovetails into either Aperture and/or PhotoMechanic.

At the moment, I feel a bit like Hugh Hefnor. I love them all, but will I respect them in the morning?

To be serious, I could throw a rock and hit a winner with any choice. It is no high time to telephone the Astrology Hotline. Just to check on the alignment of my stars.

I'll post back in a month with my opinion of my new iMac and the PP software I choose.

Thanks for all the time you spent responding.

Gary

AMusingFool Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 07:36 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Plug-ins for Aperture"
In response to Reply # 2

Arlington, US

I like the Nik plugins as well. Dfine is roughly equivalent to DxO in noise removal, and actually does a better job of preserving colors (DxO's colors tend to get a bit washed out in the process). In my limited testing, Dfine was also better than Topaz DeNoise (unrelated, but Topaz Adjust is very good).

And yeah, PTLens is really nice and simple.

"Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1174 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.