Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1161
View in linear mode

Subject: "'Image Size' in Aperture 3?" Previous topic | Next topic
Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Tue 05-Mar-13 09:34 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"'Image Size' in Aperture 3?"

Brooklyn, US

I'm looking for what is called 'image size' in Adobe Photoshop in Apple's Aperture 3. does anyone know where that same information can be found (pixels per inch, image size, canvas size, etc.)

Thanks in advance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 'Image Size' in Aperture 3?
luckyphoto Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
Ajjra Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
jackhx Gold Member
30th Apr 2013
Ajjra Silver Member
30th Apr 2013

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 06-Mar-13 01:15 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 'Image Size' in Aperture 3?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

If I'm reading your post correctly, you're looking for the parameters you set when you export an image. Inside Aperture, you primarily deal with image resolution. Aperture automatically scales the image to fit the screen and then you can zoom as required. The EXIF information is in the Inspector under the Info tab.

When you export an image you can set variable such as DPI. At that point is when size becomes relevant.

Select a photo then File - Export - Export Preset - Edit (at the bottom of the box). The dialog box that pops up is where you can set the DPI for sizing on export.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Wed 06-Mar-13 02:15 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 'Image Size' in Aperture 3?"
In response to Reply # 1

Brooklyn, US

Thank you.

I'm familiar with the Export configurations. I'm trying to locate a place in aperture where I can see what size an image in my library is. For example, I may have 2 photos in a stack where one is a NEF and the other is a duplicate of it that I have edited in Photoshop. The RAW is likely going to be a 72dpi image at the native resolution of my camera. The duplicate Photoshop image is likely something different like 300dpi and a different resolution.

This information is available in Photoshop under 'Image Size'. Is there someplace in Aperture 3 I can view this information?

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Wed 06-Mar-13 03:50 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 'Image Size' in Aperture 3?"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

Aperture doesn't care about or use DPI/PPI or any spacial reference internally. There is only one size (the original resolution or a cropped resolution of an image). DPI doesn't exist until you export and then you can assign the DPI you want. The only way you change the resolution of a "version" is by cropping it.

You can view the resolution in the Inspector under the Info tab. If you have an original and a cropped version, the Inspector will provide the correct resolution for each.

Hope that helps.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 06:36 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 'Image Size' in Aperture 3?"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 06-Mar-13 06:46 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

DPI (dots per inch) is a printer setting. You don't set DPI in a document file. Each dot represents a different color printer ink and multiple dots must be used to replicate the color of a single pixel in the image. My Canon Pro 100 can deliver 4800 x 2400 DPI. Just using the six color inks, printing a 300 PPI image on that printer would yield 1800 DPI (maybe more or less I suppose depending on what the printer decided was necessary to get the color and transitions right).

PPI (pixels per inch) is a document setting that you use when you are preparing an image for print. It will also control the resolution and tonal quality of the printed image as well as the print speed. You only need to set the PPI in a file when you are saving it with a plan to print it out. Down scaling the PPI for any given print dimension in inches will reduce the total pixel count of the image. A document prepared for print at 300 PPI and 8x10 inches will be 2400x3000 pixels in dimension. That same document prepared/saved at 72 PPI will be 576x720 pixels. If you save it at that smaller size, you can still instruct the printer to print at a larger or smaller size, but you know the print quality will degrade if you try to print at a larger size.

In the latter case, you are just left with a much smaller image file on your computer - fewer pixels to work with. Both PPI and DPI are irrelevant concepts if you are not printing an image. PPI is meaningless for web display. Only total pixel dimensions count. If you are preparing an image for display on Nikonians and you want it to be 1000 pixels on a side, you set the pixel dimensions ONLY when you go into the Image Size dialogue in PS. If you set the pixel dimensions and then try to adjust PPI lower down in the window to a number other than the one you started with, it will change the pixel dimensions automatically and you will have to go back and adjust the pixel dimensions again. You will be going back and forth - give up.

So for web, set the pixel dimensions and ignore the document settings (PPI and total width and height).

For print, set the PPI and document dimensions and ignore the pixel dimensions.

So programs like aperture don't care what what your PPI setting was the last time you saved your file. They will just tell you the total pixel dimensions and file size, because you can still decide to print that file at any PPI and size you want within the limits of your printer. If you saved for 8x10 print at 72 PPI (who would do that?) and you decide to change it back to 300 PPI, PS will let you do it, but it's going to do some massive interpolation to give you back all the pixels you threw away the last time you saved it. Keep that original full resolution file! Or better yet, shoot raw and save the raw files so you never throw away data.

Visit my gallery.

jackhx Gold Member Charter MemberTue 30-Apr-13 04:31 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 'Image Size' in Aperture 3?"
In response to Reply # 4

Richardson, US

This may be a statement of the obvious, but you go to List View there is a column called "Pixel Size" that shows the pixel dimension and total MPs for the image, e.g., 3292 x 2632 (8.7 MP). I use that all the time to see how large the image is after cropping.

Jack

Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Tue 30-Apr-13 10:48 AM
#6. "RE: 'Image Size' in Aperture 3?"
In response to Reply # 5

Brooklyn, US

>This may be a statement of the obvious, but you go to List
>View there is a column called "Pixel Size" that
>shows the pixel dimension and total MPs for the image, e.g.,
>3292 x 2632 (8.7 MP). I use that all the time to see how
>large the image is after cropping.
>
>Jack

Yes, I found that, thanks. But it doesn't show you the corresponding DPI with that resolution like Photoshop.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1161 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.