Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1148
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture RAW converter" Previous topic | Next topic
gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Thu 28-Feb-13 06:46 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture RAW converter"

Scituate, US

I'm a recent convert from a D7000 to a D600. I love the camera, but I can't seem to solve a RAW problem with Aperture. The problem is that images initially come into Aperture looking like I expect -- probably because Aperture is using the JPG preview in the NEF file. However, once I select the image, Aperture processes the RAW file for it's own preview, and the image then becomes MUCH darker. No amount of settings will recover the shadow detail. This does not happen with the Nikon software, and it definitely didn't happen with my D7000 images.

Anyone else see this issue? If so, do you have any suggestions, or do I need to chalk this up to a bad Apple D600 RAW converter and look into Lightroom?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Aperture RAW converter
luckyphoto Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
gobigdave Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
Ajjra Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
gobigdave Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
gobigdave Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
gobigdave Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
Ajjra Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
gobigdave Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
gobigdave Silver Member
06th Mar 2013

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 28-Feb-13 11:43 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 28-Feb-13 11:45 PM by luckyphoto

Port Charlotte, US

If the problem was Aperture and the D600, it would be widely known. The issue is probably in your RAW setting or some other pre-set.

I just received my D600 today so I haven't had time to input RAW files. Other Aperture forums have not reported issues with the D600 NEF files and Aperture 3.

More specifics would be great, What revision level of Aperture 3 and Camera RAW are you using? How about posting a sample photo with the EXIF data?

In a couple of days I will have the chance to import some RAW data from my new D600 and then we can talk further.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Fri 01-Mar-13 02:58 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 1

Scituate, US

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4595917?start=0&tstart=0

This is the same problem I'm having. I see the original image properly exposed. Then Aperture does it's processing, and the image get much darker. Shadow detail is lost as well.

Note, I'm shooting RAW only, and all in-camera processing that I can find is turned off.

Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Fri 01-Mar-13 01:24 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 0

Brooklyn, US

I have the same issue but can't offer any help. Subscribing.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 01-Mar-13 01:31 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

Just got my D600 last night. Give me a day and I'll see if I encounter any issues with D600 RAW and Aperture 3.

It would help if you would provide the version of Aperture 3, OS X and Camera RAW that you are currently using.

Thanks

Larry

gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Fri 01-Mar-13 03:01 PM
#5. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 3

Scituate, US

Aperture 3.4.3
OSX 10.8.2
Camera RAW 4.0.4 (the latest update)

Basically, I have the latest updates of all.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 02-Mar-13 11:02 AM
#6. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 5

Port Charlotte, US

Minor update - I took a few photos with the new D600 (mostly at camera default settings) and imported them to Aperture 3 via the SDHC card reader on my iMac with no problem. I did find that my Targus SDHC reader didn't work with the new Sandisk 32GB Extreme card, but that's a separate issue.

The RAW imports looked very similar to the JPEGs on the camera display with minor differences for the unprocessed RAW files.

I won't be able to conduct any more tests until Sunday. I think I'll take a 3-bracket test (-1,0,+1) and import them via card and cable to see what happens.

We're both at the same code levels, so that can be ruled out as an issue.

Larry

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sat 02-Mar-13 11:56 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 02-Mar-13 11:59 AM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

This isn't the first time I've heard this, dating back to October or so I've heard of it 20-30 times, specifically with the D600. It's occured in LR4 as well as Aperture 3, but does not occur on the LR4 on a PC in any of the reports - the problem is Mac specific, but that's more coincidental than anything.

What seems to be happening is that Nikon changes the raw format subtly each time a new camera comes out, and keeps the information on what they changed in it proprietary, leaving Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, and so on, to reverse engineer it. Something odd in the D600 raw files isn't reverse engineered properly and is causing the problem. If you're having the problem, one effective work-around is to have ViewNX batch convert them to TIFF, and then go back into Lightroom.

As to why it's Mac specific but occurs with two different raw converters, I can only guess, but my educated guess is that both are programmed to reference the same underlying library file that has behavior inconsistant to its documentation. What's more interesting is that it occurs rarely, leading me to believe that something else on your system is what's causing this. In short: look outside of your photo software, as almost any piece of software on your Mac could cause this. This is by far the most likely explaination.

gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Sat 02-Mar-13 07:12 PM
#8. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 7

Scituate, US

Any suggestions on what other software it might be? It's frustrating to watch it happen with every shot. It starts off looking right, then it darkens considerably once Aperture has completed loading it.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 03-Mar-13 03:12 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 8

Norwalk, US

>Any suggestions on what other software it might be? It's
>frustrating to watch it happen with every shot. It starts off
>looking right, then it darkens considerably once Aperture has
>completed loading it.

Unfortunately, OS X doesn't protect its libraries properly (of all of the POSIX compliant systems, only Windows does, so it's not a, "Unique to Apple," design flaw, it's just one that only MSFT fixed), so without finding two systems and comparing them, there's no way to know for sure.

The proper method here is binary exclusion. On older Macs, I'd have loaded a second OS onto an external disk and then brought things over using binary exclusion until I found what broke it, but that's not really an option on newer ones.

gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Sun 03-Mar-13 11:55 AM
#10. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 9

Scituate, US

I'm an executive in the software business, but I can't see the gain for Nikon of keeping the details of RAW so secret. NX2 is not that great, and besides, they are not in the software business. If Canon and Nikon just shared their RAW formats, this would be a whole lot simpler.

Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Sun 03-Mar-13 12:55 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 10

Brooklyn, US

>I'm an executive in the software business, but I can't see
>the gain for Nikon of keeping the details of RAW so secret.
>NX2 is not that great, and besides, they are not in the
>software business. If Canon and Nikon just shared their RAW
>formats, this would be a whole lot simpler.

I hope they're listening to you. I've never understood this either.

gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Tue 05-Mar-13 01:22 AM
#12. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 11

Scituate, US

Here are two images that show the issue. The first is straight from ViewNX2, and the second is from Aperture. The small size make it hard, but you can clearly see everything is darker -- especially the corners. There is no detail in the lower left. Note, I'm not worried about the curvature because I know Aperture won't handle that. Also, this was with the Nikon 16-35mm at 16mm. Again, no djustments applied. I simply chose a RAW image that showed the issue.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

gobigdave Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 04:40 PM
#13. "RE: Aperture RAW converter"
In response to Reply # 7

Scituate, US

According to the Apple discussion thread I referenced earlier, Apple has reproduced the problem and is working on a fix.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1148 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.