Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1142
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture or LR4" Previous topic | Next topic
jimmyv13068 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2011Tue 19-Feb-13 03:46 AM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture or LR4"

Huntington, US

I know this has likely tried everyones souls, but...I am leaning toward LR4 simply because when I go to the Apple Aperture app and read the many reviews, more than just a few are having or have had issues with Aperture. Combine that with the issues that some have had here, I really feel like LR4 is the way to go. I had some time ago bought Scott Kelby's book on LR3, and feel like that combined with what is available for training on Adobe's web site along with youtube, I can get to know LR3 or 4 quickly.
Honestly, I would have preferred Aperture, but at this point, I just don't know that I can trust it completely. Would anyone like to weigh in and steer me toward one or the other. I have no experience with PP and am getting comfortable enough with my new i Mac to begin my journey into PP. I am still torn between the 2, but have to admit I am leaning to LR 4.
Thanks much in advance!
Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

EYEBALLER Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2011Tue 19-Feb-13 09:00 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture or LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Sterling Heights, US

>I know this has likely tried everyones souls, but...I am
>leaning toward LR4 simply because when I go to the Apple
>Aperture app and read the many reviews, more than just a few
>are having or have had issues with Aperture. Combine that with
>the issues that some have had here, I really feel like LR4 is
>the way to go. I had some time ago bought Scott Kelby's book
>on LR3, and feel like that combined with what is available for
>training on Adobe's web site along with youtube, I can get to
>know LR3 or 4 quickly.
>Honestly, I would have preferred Aperture, but at this point,
>I just don't know that I can trust it completely. Would anyone
>like to weigh in and steer me toward one or the other. I have
>no experience with PP and am getting comfortable enough with
>my new i Mac to begin my journey into PP. I am still torn
>between the 2, but have to admit I am leaning to LR 4.
>Thanks much in advance!
>Jim
>

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Why go with one or the other? Get them both,they aren't expensive,they are both under or near $100 - big deal. The CS5 or 6 Photoshop is the one to worry about as far as the price goes - there you have a legitimate concern. It should not have to boil down to which is the best LR4 or Aperture 3. Why? Because they both shine in there own unique ways. LR4 is a terrific basic editor and Aperture's brushes can't be beat with any software on the market including CS5 Photoshop. Photoshop can't be beat for changing large areas like backgrounds quickly and easily with their smart and advanced selection tools,color gamut and I absolutely love their "patch tool". If you can afford all three, you have the complete kit and would be able to do any kind of edit with any photograph. Myself,I use all three of them most of the time.I am also a Mac user,but I am not tied to just Mac with software when it comes to editing. You really have to keep an open mind in photography unlike many photography blogs I have been to,there are many commenting and having wars on which is better, Mac or windows software or computer.Not you but,they, are totally stupid and childish to be wasting valuable time on something that doesn't even matter especially when they could be doing something more important like photographing,editing or learning something new and useful.

EYEBALLER

krpowers316 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2012Sun 24-Feb-13 08:02 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture or LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I was a long-time Aperture user and switched to LR4 at the first of the year. While I miss Aperture's better interface, LR4 has been better overall. My motivation for switching was not one versus the other as much as doubts about if/how Apple is going to support Aperture in the future.

I suspect that Apple is going to position Aperture as an iPhoto upgrade, rather than professional photography software.

jimmyv13068 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2011Mon 25-Feb-13 03:36 AM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture or LR4"
In response to Reply # 2

Huntington, US

Thanks for weighing in, I appreciate it, and quite honestly, I am leaning toward LR4.
I downloaded the free 30 trial of LR4, and have been playing around with it. Although I would think you're right on the money with the easier interface of APERTURE, I am getting more comfortable with LR4 and finding my way around. Kelby's book and a few Adobe tutorials are helping a lot! I think I'm gonna stay with it, because as you, I have a few concerns with Aperture. Guess time will tell, and after all, after a while, if Apple does anything significant with Aperture, could always use it as well or even switch over if need be.
Again, thanks for the input!

Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 12:26 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aperture or LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Hope, US

I am puzzled by the vast price difference. I can get a disk version of LR4 for about $79 locally. The downloadable version from Adobe is almost double that price. Is there a difference? Does Adobe offer free upgrades for the RAW converter to match new cameras? Are the LR4 updates easily obtainable and free?

Don Boys
Hope, MI

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1142 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.