nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Apple Post-Processing (Public) topic #1133
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture 3 and D600 RAW Files" Previous topic | Next topic
epdad   Eden Prairie, US  Registered since 23rd Dec 2010 Sun 27-Jan-13 03:18 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture 3 and D600 RAW Files"

Has anyone found a nice workaround for ingesting D600 RAW files? Many times (not always), Aperture doesn't recognize the files, and I have to close Aperture and re-open, and then it sees the files. Other times, I just have to click on the file and it will go from "format not recognized" to the proper thumbnail. Also, it would seem that Aperture noise reduction either is poor or doesn't work at all with D600. I've been shooting some HS hockey lately at around 3200 ISO and the files look ok, but not what I would expect. So my question really is, is there a way to handle the RAW files with some other application, and then continue to use Aperture for the remainder of the processing and management? Or am I forced to use LR4 until Apple makes some improvements?
Thanks,
Scott

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Gold Member  Port Charlotte, US  Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010 Mon 28-Jan-13 09:56 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture 3 and D600 RAW Files"
In response to Reply # 0

HI Scott,
Have you downloaded Camera Raw 4.01 for Aperture 3? That is supposed to provide D600 RAW (NEF) support to Aperture 3.

You can always default to ViewNX2 that came with your D600. You can import in RAW using ViewNX2 and then export the file as a 16-bit TIFF file, which can then be imported into Aperture 3. From that point the file will work inside Aperture e.

Hope that helps,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

K_olsen1   London, UK  Registered since 09th Mar 2002 Tue 29-Jan-13 07:55 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture 3 and D600 RAW Files"
In response to Reply # 0

Dear Scott,

This is not needed - if you kep Aperture up-dates it has already added the Nikon D 600 Raw file converter.

I have the D600 and apperture 3 and it works seamlessly.

Enjoy your D600.

Karsten

K. Olsen

epdad   Eden Prairie, US  Registered since 23rd Dec 2010 Tue 29-Jan-13 10:42 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture 3 and D600 RAW Files"
In response to Reply # 2

I've kept Aperture up to date, and D600 raw converter is in there. It's just that it doesn't always process each file. Kind of decides to process some and not others. I may try NX2 and see if that solves the problem, and maybe offers and better RAW conversion as well. Thanks for the input.

luckyphoto Gold Member  Port Charlotte, US  Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010 Wed 30-Jan-13 11:27 AM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aperture 3 and D600 RAW Files"
In response to Reply # 3

Since you're getting some, but not all of your files into Aperture, there may be some other things to check -
1. I assume the files you can't import are not video files.
2. You are using approved SDHC cards such as Sandisk Class 6 and above.
3. You've repaired permissions on your Mac recently.
4. You've tried both a cable and card reader with the same result.

Try ViewNX2 to see if it imports 100% of your RAW files.

Also consider re-installing Aperture 3.

Just some things to try.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Apple Post-Processing (Public) topic #1133 Previous topic | Next topic