Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1123
View in linear mode

Subject: "Post Processing in Aperture with great results" Previous topic | Next topic
Alexcorral Registered since 22nd Dec 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 03:03 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Post Processing in Aperture with great results"

PA

I took my favorite portrait from a shoot I did for my niece's baptism and put it through Aperture with great improvements on a shot I already liked a lot:

Original - Processed - B&W Processed

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 21-Jan-13 02:05 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Post Processing in Aperture with great results"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Great photos and nice editing. I also like Aperture because it makes my workflow quick and easy.

Aperture is also a great photography database. You probably already know this. I routinely use key words, stars and other metadata to keep track of my photos. It's easy to accumulate thousands of photos over a few years and having a way to easily sort through them is very important.

My favorite tools are the "Quick Brushes". If you've never used them before let me know and I'll show you where they're at.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alexcorral Registered since 22nd Dec 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 03:37 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Post Processing in Aperture with great results"
In response to Reply # 1

PA

I got my first DSLR (D7000) as a self gift for Christmas and immediately got Aperture (even before my camera arrived).

I really like the easy to use interface and the non-destructive capabilities of the software. I still have only a couple hundred shots in my library but haven't figured out how to sort my images. Keywords seem like a good option. I have loaded the photos on folders for each month and inside the folders setup the projects based on the occasion (Christamas Eve, New Year's, Baptism, Beach trip, etc).

For the shot above, many of the processing was done with the quick brushes (Some dodge & burn to bring out selective details) and the fantastic repair brush which allowed me to eliminate some freckles, skin blemishes and pouches beneath the eyes.

I also blurred the ivy background using the fantastic automatic edge detector.

Ajjra Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2010Mon 25-Feb-13 08:52 PM
78 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Post Processing in Aperture with great results"
In response to Reply # 2

Brooklyn, US

I took my 10 favorite images (RAW) and processed them in several different applications to determine my personal preference before committing to Aperture. I did not expect Aperture to do well in the comparison, yet it finished first. I picked the Aperture output as the best in 6 out of the 10 shots, Capture NX in 3 shots, Adobe Camera RAW in 1 shot. Combine that with what I thought was a superior library manager and Aperture was a winner!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1123 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.