nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1110
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exporting from new Macs" Previous topic | Next topic
gshah18 Registered since 18th Dec 2004Sun 06-Jan-13 09:17 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Exporting from new Macs"

chicago, US

Hi all

Just got a new high res retina display Mac. Having fun with how great photos look on it, but I notice that when I export and look at the photos on another machine or even in certain apps like facebook, they look terrible - very soft, loss of contrast, etc. Basically they look magnified to 200%.

I'm guessing it has something to do with how I might need to export given the high resolution of these machines, but not sure what I should be doing. Its great and all to see my photos look so nice on my machine, but if they look lousy when I share then no point.

Help appreciated

Gautam!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Exporting from new Macs
luckyphoto Gold Member
06th Jan 2013
gshah18
06th Jan 2013
WildIsle Silver Member
06th Jan 2013
AMusingFool Silver Member
24th Jan 2013
gshah18
27th Jan 2013

luckyphoto Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 06-Jan-13 02:33 PM
813 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exporting from new Macs"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Not sure what application you're using to export, but it probably has to do with the export settings you're using.

Different settings are used to display on the web versus printing versus another monitor. In some cases you use different color profiles and export resolutions for the best results.

The difference in displays and systems can also be significant. Viewing the same DVD on a new HDTV versus an older analog TV will be very different.

If you can provide more specifics about the export application, target destinations, etc. it would be easier to provide some direction.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

gshah18 Registered since 18th Dec 2004Sun 06-Jan-13 02:46 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Exporting from new Macs"
In response to Reply # 1

chicago, US

Thanks. I've tried exporting from both iPhoto as well as Lightroom 4.0. Same result. When I look at the file in the Mac's image viewer, looks very small (at 1,000 pixels) and very sharp and like I would expect. When I attach to an email and look at it on a different computer, it is now double the size and looks terrible. If I upload to flickr or facebook and look at it on my Mac, same problem.

I think it has something to do with the higher resolution of this Mac which other applications cannot process, but I don't know how to get around it.

I used to use a PC and used Lightroom or Capture NX to export, and didn't have this issue.

Gautam!

WildIsle Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Sun 06-Jan-13 08:01 PM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Exporting from new Macs"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

>I think it has something to do with the higher resolution of
>this Mac which other applications cannot process, but I don't
>know how to get around it.

The Mac itself doesn't have a higher resolution in the way you've described. A file is a file is a file. The resolution of the file does not change when you move it to a different computer. Rather an increased resolution monitor packs more pixels into a given area making the image appear sharper. This maybe an over-simplification but that's how I understand it and explains why your images appear 'twice the size' on a lower res monitor.

See Apple's web site here for details: http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/features-retina/

You mention 1000 pixel wide image, well that's not a particularly large file. The 15" Retina display is 2880 px wide so a 1000 pixel wide image is going to be small as you describe (at 100%).

I'm sorry I don;t have an answer for you, it's tough to diagnose without being there, but I doubt if the export issue has anything to do with the retina display other than the relative appearance of the image against a lower res screen. Instead I'd look in the Export settings to find a solution.

Good luck
Philip

AMusingFool Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012Thu 24-Jan-13 09:31 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Exporting from new Macs"
In response to Reply # 3

Arlington, US

Another question is whether it looks bad on other machines, or just on your retina display.

gshah18 Registered since 18th Dec 2004Sun 27-Jan-13 02:34 PM
#5. "RE: Exporting from new Macs"
In response to Reply # 4

chicago, US

Ok - I think I'm getting closer, but still am not sure. When I export and look at the file in either iPhoto, Lightroom, or in the native Mac Preview/Image viewer, it looks as I would expect. A 1000 pixel wide image looks quite small on the high resolution monitor. However, if I open up that same file through Safari (just by browsing to it), it now looks 3x bigger and of course and much less sharp. If I upload the file to my website, and look at it from another computer, same thing.

I don't really know how to adjust for this, but hopefully it is the type of information that will make it obvious to those trying to help me.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1110 Previous topic | Next topic