nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1107
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture to LR 4" Previous topic | Next topic
krm100 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2010Tue 11-Dec-12 02:28 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture to LR 4"

Whitestone, US

In the future, if I were to convert to LR 4 from Aperture can I transfer all my projects, albums, etc, from Aperture to LR 4? I am currently happy with Aperture, but I am concerned that Apple might abandon it. On the positive side there have been frequent software upgrades.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 11-Dec-12 07:17 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture to LR 4"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 11-Dec-12 07:19 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

I doubt they would abandon it without plenty of warning, but it is already in a state of considerable neglect.

D600 NEFs look truly ugly, and LR4 does a far better job, and has far greater functionality in many other areas eg correction of distortion and vignetting for lenses and emulation of Nikon shooting modes.

I don't think Aperture is a big priority for Apple just now.

I am keeping my per D600 photos in Aperture but henceforth using LR4. You can convert from Aperture to LR4 but lose all edits to NEFs unless you create TIFFs. There are plenty of descriptions of the process on the web.

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Sat 27-Apr-13 01:15 PM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture to LR 4"
In response to Reply # 1

Naples, US

I think your approach to switching is best. Rather than trying to get all one's files out of Aperture and into LR, just start using LR moving AS (After Switch) and keep using Aperture for everything BS (Before Switch).

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1107 Previous topic | Next topic