nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell

glxman

South Australia, AU
4620 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
glxman Moderator Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008
Mon 03-Dec-12 11:32 PM

Hi guys,
Thought I would share my experience with my new iPad and some apps,
I initially bought the iPad to try and replace my laptop on trips away
All I really needed is a compact device for communication and the ability to view the odd raw file uploaded from the camera and share some jpeg images with others, both on the net and as a good image viewer

Syncing with iTunes was a start, I have all my favourite images there, I was then able to sort them into albums like landscape, close-up etc

iTunes will not transfer raw files with the sync but you can transfer a raw file using the file transfer option. I cannot see a real need to do this but the option is there, IMHO, you would normally convert the files to jpeg and resize a little

The next challenge was to upload some raw images from the camera. There are various options to do this, at first I tried my Verbatum multi card reader, the device, (iPad), prompted a message, "this device requires too much power and will not work!"
I Then purchased an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
Worked as expected and uploaded with the option to select files to upload
Note: You will need to carry a USB cable to do this!

I now needed some apps for possible edits and to be able to convert files to jpeg and resize as required for email and the net

I purchased the following apps,
PhotoRaw,
iPhoto, and
PS Express

When files are uploaded from the camera to the iPad, an album is created in Photos called, "All Imported"
You can then click on the PhotoRaw app and convert to various jpeg sized with a set choice of choosing the longest site

The jpegs are automatically transferred to "Camera Roll" album where you can transfer to any other album that has been created

As for the other 2 apps, well, as expected, these have limited processing options but good for a little "Tweak" if needed,
After all, the iPad does have its limitations but still "punches above its weight" IMHO

Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell
Reply message iPad
     Reply message RE: iPad

G