nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Apple Post-Processing (Public) topic #1092
View in linear mode

Subject: "My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Tue 04-Dec-12 12:32 AM
3383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell"

Hi guys,
Thought I would share my experience with my new iPad and some apps,
I initially bought the iPad to try and replace my laptop on trips away
All I really needed is a compact device for communication and the ability to view the odd raw file uploaded from the camera and share some jpeg images with others, both on the net and as a good image viewer

Syncing with iTunes was a start, I have all my favourite images there, I was then able to sort them into albums like landscape, close-up etc

iTunes will not transfer raw files with the sync but you can transfer a raw file using the file transfer option. I cannot see a real need to do this but the option is there, IMHO, you would normally convert the files to jpeg and resize a little

The next challenge was to upload some raw images from the camera. There are various options to do this, at first I tried my Verbatum multi card reader, the device, (iPad), prompted a message, "this device requires too much power and will not work!"
I Then purchased an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
Worked as expected and uploaded with the option to select files to upload
Note: You will need to carry a USB cable to do this!

I now needed some apps for possible edits and to be able to convert files to jpeg and resize as required for email and the net

I purchased the following apps,
PhotoRaw,
iPhoto, and
PS Express

When files are uploaded from the camera to the iPad, an album is created in Photos called, "All Imported"
You can then click on the PhotoRaw app and convert to various jpeg sized with a set choice of choosing the longest site

The jpegs are automatically transferred to "Camera Roll" album where you can transfer to any other album that has been created

As for the other 2 apps, well, as expected, these have limited processing options but good for a little "Tweak" if needed,
After all, the iPad does have its limitations but still "punches above its weight" IMHO

Regards,
Gary

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell glxman Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
Reply message iPad PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Dec 2012
     Reply message RE: iPad glxman Silver Member
07th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell AMusingFool Silver Member
24th Jan 2013
     Reply message RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell glxman Silver Member
24th Jan 2013

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Buckeye, US  Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011 Tue 04-Dec-12 01:17 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Gary,

Nice use of the iPad. I have also found a couple of photography reference apps that are nice to have on hand in the field or on vacation. One is TPE or the The Photographers Ephemeris. It tells you where and when the sun and moon will rise and set based on your input of a location. This can be done in advance by date. Really helpful for planning a good golden light shot.

For editing, I also like Filterstorm. It has a bit of a learning curve but seems to go where other applications stop. Photogene I and II are both good basic editing apps. Snapseed and ColorSplash are fun. Even the iPhoto app is a great one for all around editing.

The one thing I am waiting for Apple to add is the ability to delete ALL photos from an album at one time!!

Carol
photospydie.com

glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Wed 05-Dec-12 12:50 AM
3383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you for the heads-up Carol,
I dont really want to do too much PP with the iPad, just enough power when I need a small tweak for email
The TPE app sounds like a good option
After all, we here at Nikonians all shoot perfect images straight out of the camera! Now, why am I shooting raw again?
Regards,
Gary

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for her support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Buckeye, US  Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011 Thu 06-Dec-12 12:52 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "iPad"
In response to Reply # 2

HaHa! Of course we shoot perfect shots right out of the camera. Then we make them even better with a little tweak!

Another interesting app is Nikon Lenses. It is a list of all the Nikon lens with their specifications and some useful reviews. Then, for fun I tried the Sunny16 app. The app gives combinations of settings you can consider for different kinds of shots.

Happy shooting.

Carol

Carol
photospydie.com

glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Fri 07-Dec-12 12:19 PM
#4. "RE: iPad"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you Carol,
May have to wait for the 1TB iPad with all these apps!

Does the Nikon lens app have all the old Ai lenses? I have quite a number of th

AMusingFool Silver Member  Arlington, US  Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012 Thu 24-Jan-13 09:27 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell"
In response to Reply # 1

+1 TPE; that's an awesome app for planning (perhaps not quite as good as what a friend of mine used to do with Flight Simulator, but still quite excellent). I use it all the time.

There's also a good book about using the iPad called iPad for Photographers (note, though, that I just saw that a second edition is coming out in May).

Another good use, though, is to have copies of manuals available in iBooks.

And with a D4, you can get a wireless router (like this one) to use the iPad as your viewfinder for certain things.

glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Thu 24-Jan-13 10:55 PM
#6. "RE: My photo experience with the iPad 64GB WiFi Cell"
In response to Reply # 5

Tks for the heads-up,
Had a bit of time with the iPad now,
"she ain't no replacement for a computer" but good for the occasional raw image check in the field, and of course sending the odd email or post here
Found the iPad a great travelling option, being small and light and don't have to pack all the other computer gear helps a lot
Regards,
Gary

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Apple Post-Processing (Public) topic #1092 Previous topic | Next topic