nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1082
View in linear mode

Subject: "Curves?" Previous topic | Next topic
John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 05:43 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Curves?"

Garretson, US

When people are referring to curves and slightly adjusting them what are they referring to? Is that like the highlights and shadows sliders in aperture? If not is there a similar setting and what is it called? Thanks Bertotti!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 03-Dec-12 06:51 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Curves?"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Yes, it is like highlights and shadows sliders in Aperture. Adjusting "curves" in an image refers to adjusting the tone curves in an image in a non-linear fashion, i.e., adjust highlights, shadows, midtones, or anything in between, separately.

Photoshop has a great tool for adjusting curves that allows you to make slight adjustments anywhere on the exposure curve and also do it separately in each color channel.

The sliders in Aperture provide a very easy way to make curve adjustments within the most common adjustment regions of the curve - highlights and shadows. I think it's a fantastic tool that greatly simplifies curve adjustments. The curve tool in Photoshop is not novice friendly!

Visit my gallery.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 03-Dec-12 08:10 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Curves?"
In response to Reply # 1

Garretson, US

Thanks Chris, I thought it might be. I was hoping it would get as detailed photoshop can. I remember a little while ago a picture of the Great Wall but with some fog. Someone here did a custom curve adjustment and all of the sudden the fog was almost completely lifted, you could see what was in and behind the fog! I find that amazing and well worth learning. If that isn't possible in aperture it might be enough to push me to photoshop or one of the versions that is capable of it. I wonder if there is a plugin for aperture that would accomplish this? Thanks again! Bertotti

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 03-Dec-12 08:56 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Curves?"
In response to Reply # 2

Newburg, US

Actually, Aperture (3) does have it's own curves control dialogue. You should be able find them in the "Adjustments" drop down list on the Adjustments tab.

Visit my gallery.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 03-Dec-12 10:07 PM
#4. "RE: Curves?"
In response to Reply # 3

Garretson, US

I didn't read closely enough apparently! Thanks! Bertotti

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1082 Previous topic | Next topic