Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1079
View in linear mode

Subject: "iPhoto app for iPad question" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 30-Nov-12 01:36 AM
2975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"iPhoto app for iPad question"

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys,
Can the iPhoto app for the iPad resize images?
Thinking about my travels and having the ability to crop, resize and convert to jpeg for emails

Hoping to leave my unstable laptop at home as I keep all my images on the cards until get home to upload and back-up

Sometimes friends like a shot or 2 of my travels along the way,
My new iPad appears to be just the thing for a compact option when traveling

I should note that I only shoot raw

Regards,
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: iPhoto app for iPad question
glxman Silver Member
01st Dec 2012
glxman Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
02nd Dec 2012
glxman Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012
glxman Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
glxman Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
glxman Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
Squirri Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
Squirri Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
glxman Silver Member
05th Dec 2012

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 01-Dec-12 05:16 AM
2975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Well that didnt work,
Now have photoraw app,
Will have to wait until I get a cable to upload some raw, iTunes does not appear to do it
Regards,
Gary

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sun 02-Dec-12 04:03 AM
#2. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 1

South Australia, AU

Well, talking myself here, that happens when you get old,

Just thought I would give some heads-up to the readers!

iPhoto does just the basics
I purchased PhotoRaw app, works a treat

managed to transfer a raw file from laptop using file transfer in iTunes,
When itunes does the normal sync, it will only do jpeg but using file transfer, you can transfer the file to the app your using
Instructions here,
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1693
Hope this helps someone,
Regards,
Gary

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 04:46 PM
678 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 2

Garretson, US

What will you do if you leave you laptop behind? Shoot in raw+jpg? Timely post for me and thanks for the heads up! Later Bertotti

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sun 02-Dec-12 10:24 PM
#4. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 3

South Australia, AU

Hi Bertotti,
My laptop is at the end of its service and may cease to function soon,
Due to budget restrictions, the plan is to only have an iPad and an iMac
And just take the iPad on trips, (more compact, less power hungry etc), I often travel to remote areas and need to be self-sufficient

With the App "PhotoRaw" I will be able to view NEF images and convert them to jpeg, resize them and email
The other reason is to just have a look at some images to check on how my exposures are going etc

I always keep my images on the cards when travelling and only format them at home after they are backed-up
I will not try and upload all images while away, just a few as I need them

Regards,
Gary

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Mon 03-Dec-12 12:20 AM
678 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 4

Garretson, US

I have to look into that app. I always take my laptop but usually wait until I get home to put photos in it, odd I know but by the time I get to where ever I will be sleeping I am to tired to mess with it. Thanks for the info! Later Bertotto

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 03-Dec-12 12:39 AM
#6. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 5

South Australia, AU

Forgot to mention,
I also have the PS Express, also quite a good app, maybe a little better than iPhoto IMHO
When I test out PhotoRaw for uploading images from the card or camera, I will post a separate thread
Regards,
Gary

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 03-Dec-12 05:30 AM
#7. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 5

South Australia, AU

Hi John,
Firstly, the camera connection kit works a treat,
I did try my multi card reader but the iPad gave a warning, 'wont work, device needs too much power"
No big deal for me, at least I can view raw on the road and also send jpegs if I need to

The PhotoRaw converted to file to jpeg and gives you some file size options then places the jpeg in Camera Roll
When drafting the email you just select from Camera Roll
Regards,
Gary

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Tue 04-Dec-12 12:28 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 1

Buckeye, US

A bit confused here. When I use my SD card and connection kit, the images are downloaded into my iPad as raw photos. If I then connect my iPad to my MacBook Pro it sees the iPad as a camera and will import from there into Aperture as raw or NEF images. When downloading from a card it does not convert the images to jpegs. When you email a photo that you have downloaded from your camera it automatically resizes it to a size that will be sent efficiently.

Now, if I choose to move photos from Aperture onto the iPad, the photos are transferred out as jpeg images just like any other export process from Aperture. iTunes is just a conduit. Not sure why you would want to convert a processed photo from your computer back to raw for export and placement on the iPad.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 05-Dec-12 12:24 AM
#9. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 8

South Australia, AU

Hi Carol,
My iPad is only for viewing a few raw images and sending the odd email, I will not carry a "real" computer on field trips

When I use PhotoRaw, I am able to convert NEF files to jpeg with a choice of images sizes in regards to the longest side, the result when sent by email had retained the IQ and file size, actually, I've had to reduce some as the files were too big!

When I just sent a raw file by email without processing with PhotoRaw at the start, I found the iPad auto resize for email just reduced the image too much, in fact, by a considerable amount with the resulting poor IQ,

Regards,
Gary

Squirri Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012Wed 05-Dec-12 07:26 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 9

Nottingham, GB

FWIW I shoot Raw+JPG when I'm travelling. RAW Slot 1, JPG Slot 2. Upload the jpgs to the iPad so I can view them, post to my blog etc. I use Snapseed to tart them up a bit. Then save the RaW for when I get home. This also gives a bit of backup in that the jogs are there on the iPad if the cards don't make it home. If the do and something happens to the RAW card, I still have the jpgs.

YMMV

res ipsa loquitur

Squirri Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012Wed 05-Dec-12 07:26 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 9

Nottingham, GB

FWIW I shoot Raw+JPG when I'm travelling. RAW Slot 1, JPG Slot 2. Upload the jpgs to the iPad so I can view them, post to my blog etc. I use Snapseed to tart them up a bit. Then save the RaW for when I get home. This also gives a bit of backup in that the jogs are there on the iPad if the cards don't make it home. If the do and something happens to the RAW card, I still have the jpgs.

YMMV

res ipsa loquitur

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 05-Dec-12 07:46 PM
#12. "RE: iPhoto app for iPad question"
In response to Reply # 11

South Australia, AU

Tks YMMV
That is a good idea,
I've never shot both files before,
Regards,
Gary

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1079 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.