Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1070
View in linear mode

Subject: "Adobe or sRGB" Previous topic | Next topic
William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 12-Nov-12 12:41 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Adobe or sRGB"

Bogor, ID

I have aD600 and I use Aperture and Nik plug-ins for PP. I shoot a mixture of RAW and JPEG, though most of what I print is shot in RAW.

I have always used sRGB in camera, but on setting up my new D600 I am questioning this.

My understanding is that sRGB is fine for web use, but Adobe may be better if the photograph is to be printed. However it would seem that Apple does its own thing with RAW files anyhow, so maybe the choice of color space is not all that important for ,y purposes. And as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Adobe or sRGB
EYEBALLER Gold Member
07th Dec 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member
07th Dec 2012
William Symonds
07th Dec 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
klrbee25 Silver Member
28th Apr 2013

EYEBALLER Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2011Fri 07-Dec-12 09:38 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Adobe or sRGB"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 28-Apr-13 03:39 AM by jrp

Sterling Heights, US

>I have aD600 and I use Aperture and Nik plug-ins for PP. I
>shoot a mixture of RAW and JPEG, though most of what I print
>is shot in RAW.
>
>I have always used sRGB in camera, but on setting up my new
>D600 I am questioning this.
>
>My understanding is that sRGB is fine for web use, but Adobe
>may be better if the photograph is to be printed. However it
>would seem that Apple does its own thing with RAW files
>anyhow, so maybe the choice of color space is not all that
>important for ,y purposes. And as they say, if it ain't broke,
>don't fix it.
>
>Am I missing anything?
>
>Thanks!
>
>W i l l
>
>Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
>www.willsymonds.com
>www.willsymonds.blogspot.com

Why waste space and processing time using jpegs (it slows your computer and camera down) with your camera and possibly other devices when you only print from raw?? Stick with just raw,you can't do any serious or extensive processing with jpegs anyway.

The latest and best photo format(RGB PRO PHOTO) is better than Adobe RGB and especially SRGB because RGB PRO PHOTO contains more information and has a significantly wider color gamut(more colors) than the other two which would give you better quality and after all,quality should be what it's all about when you print photos. Who wants a crappy picture on their wall?

EYEBALLER

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Fri 07-Dec-12 07:08 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Adobe or sRGB"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 08-Dec-12 12:01 AM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

The color profile does not apply to images shot in RAW format so you needn't worry about it. If you are shooting anything you want to consider keepers in JPEG your best bet would be AdobeRGB as it is a larger color space and can readily be converted to sRGB when the need arises – preferably after post processing to minimize image degradation.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 07-Dec-12 10:33 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Adobe or sRGB"
In response to Reply # 2

Bogor, ID

Barry and Eyeballer

So with RAW the in camera choice doesn't matter, but when the time comes use RGB Pro Photo for output. Great.. That is what I am now doing, and what LR4 was kind enough to point me toward.

All very simple, thanks

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sat 08-Dec-12 12:05 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Adobe or sRGB"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 08-Dec-12 12:09 AM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

>
>So with RAW the in camera choice doesn't matter, but when the
>time comes use RGB Pro Photo for output. Great.. That is what
>I am now doing, and what LR4 was kind enough to point me
>toward.
>
Precisely. The beauty of RAW is it allows you to make your image processing decisions after you have seen the captured image rather than committing to those decisions before capture and having them "baked in" with no after-the-fact recourse.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 02:49 AM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Adobe or sRGB"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 28-Apr-13 02:50 AM by klrbee25

Naples, US

Just make sure you're using 16 bit images if you're working in ProPhoto RGB. Otherwise you're negating the larger colorspace benefits.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1070 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.