nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Aperture - options for adjusting vignetting in NEFs on a FX body

William Symonds

Bogor, ID
1559 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
William Symonds Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007
Sat 10-Nov-12 12:01 AM | edited Sat 10-Nov-12 12:26 AM by William Symonds

My D600 is a terrific tool, but gets a lot of vignetting from f/2.8, especially with older lenses.

The camera does an excellent job of adjusting for this in jpeg, but the RAW images, when viewed and used in Aperture, are uncorrected and vignette a lot.

The attached examples are at 85mm f/1.4 (using D lens). One is the the RAW file, exported from Aperture, and the second is the JPEG straight from the camera.

This shows both that the lens does vignette heaps on a D600, and that the jpeg correction in-camera is terrific, but that Aperture is oblivious to this when opening/exporting the RAW file.

The options I can think of to correct the RAW files are...

Shooting jpegs (great, but no good if you want to shoot RAW. Very attractive for shooting sports in good light)

Using Aperture or a Nik plug-in to fix the vignetting (slow but works, and sometimes you may even like the vignette effect anyhow), with the option of exporting and then using ViewNX2 to convert the NEF to a TIFF or jpeg if all else fails

Use Capture NX2 which is an ageing beast, costs over $100, and without another piece of software does not plug into Aperture (I just don't like the software these days and NX2 plays up on my iMac)

Using DXO, which again does not plug into Aperture without additional software (ouch $199 for a D600 but has some other very good features too)

Using Catapult to send files to and from DXO or NX2 (probably the best route if you really want to use DXO or NX2)

I am thinking of using the first two options. Have I missed else anything simple?

Thanks

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java