Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1067
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture - options for adjusting vignetting in NEFs on ..." Previous topic | Next topic
William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 10-Nov-12 12:01 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture - options for adjusting vignetting in NEFs on a FX body"
Sat 10-Nov-12 12:26 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

My D600 is a terrific tool, but gets a lot of vignetting from f/2.8, especially with older lenses.

The camera does an excellent job of adjusting for this in jpeg, but the RAW images, when viewed and used in Aperture, are uncorrected and vignette a lot.

The attached examples are at 85mm f/1.4 (using D lens). One is the the RAW file, exported from Aperture, and the second is the JPEG straight from the camera.

This shows both that the lens does vignette heaps on a D600, and that the jpeg correction in-camera is terrific, but that Aperture is oblivious to this when opening/exporting the RAW file.

The options I can think of to correct the RAW files are...

Shooting jpegs (great, but no good if you want to shoot RAW. Very attractive for shooting sports in good light)

Using Aperture or a Nik plug-in to fix the vignetting (slow but works, and sometimes you may even like the vignette effect anyhow), with the option of exporting and then using ViewNX2 to convert the NEF to a TIFF or jpeg if all else fails

Use Capture NX2 which is an ageing beast, costs over $100, and without another piece of software does not plug into Aperture (I just don't like the software these days and NX2 plays up on my iMac)

Using DXO, which again does not plug into Aperture without additional software (ouch $199 for a D600 but has some other very good features too)

Using Catapult to send files to and from DXO or NX2 (probably the best route if you really want to use DXO or NX2)

I am thinking of using the first two options. Have I missed else anything simple?

Thanks

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 10-Nov-12 12:15 PM
682 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture - options for adjusting vignetting in NEFs on a FX body"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

You might check this link out. Aperture 3 does have a devignette tool.

http://software-tips.wonderhowto.com/how-to/apply-vignette-and-devignette-aperture-254065/

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 11-Nov-12 11:03 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture - options for adjusting vignetting in NEFs on a FX body"
In response to Reply # 1

Bogor, ID

Thanks, I am using this and am setting up a few presets eg at f/1.4 on my 85mm so that this can be fixed at a click..

There is some good stuff in Aperture!

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

EYEBALLER Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2011Tue 11-Dec-12 08:40 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Aperture - options for adjusting vignetting in NEFs on a FX body"
In response to Reply # 2

Sterling Heights, US

>Thanks, I am using this and am setting up a few presets eg at
>f/1.4 on my 85mm so that this can be fixed at a click..
>
>There is some good stuff in Aperture!
>
>W i l l
>
>Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
>www.willsymonds.com
>www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
>http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Visit
>
my
>Nikonians gallery>.

I second what larry "luckyphoto" said. I have Aperture 3,CS5 and Lightroom 4 and I still only use Aperture and CS5 for all of my editing. I have tried using Lightroom,but I just don't see any benefits of using lightroom 4 over using Aperture 3 and CS5. Maybe there is something lurking there in Lightroom 4 (and I know that many pros use lightroom 4) that I haven't discovered yet but I will stick with Aperture 3 and CS5. Getting vignette out is a very minor adjustment and is only one click away in aperture 3.

EYEBALLER

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 16-Nov-12 02:15 PM
#3. "RE: Aperture - options for adjusting vignetting in NEFs on a FX body"
In response to Reply # 1

Bogor, ID

Lightroom has this calibrated for all lenses. Aperture is n need of some serious tlc...

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1067 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.