Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1031
View in linear mode

Subject: "aperture software by apple" Previous topic | Next topic
wjmatos Registered since 16th Sep 2012Thu 20-Sep-12 01:12 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"aperture software by apple"

Las Vegas, Nv, US

hi all...
does anyone use the apple aperture photo editing software?
I'm thinking of getting it...I just upgraded to the mountain lion
operating system on my iMac...and capture NX-2 is not compatible with
the mountain lion op..this is a bummer...I luv capture NX-2...
so that's why I'm looking at the aperture software
thanks....
Willie

Wilson J. Matos

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: aperture software by apple
Asgard Administrator
20th Sep 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
22nd Sep 2012
Squirri Silver Member
22nd Sep 2012
Joseph Bautsch
23rd Sep 2012
Squirri Silver Member
13th Oct 2012
Howker Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
krpowers316 Silver Member
15th Oct 2012
Nitehawk5169 Gold Member
16th Oct 2012

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 20-Sep-12 06:19 PM
50936 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: aperture software by apple"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 20-Sep-12 06:21 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

CNX2 works fine with Mountain Lion. No problem

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 22-Sep-12 03:13 PM
763 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: aperture software by apple"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Hi Willie,
Keep in mind that there are two functions of Aperture. First, it's a digital asset management program that allows you to grade and add tags to each photo for easy search and retrieval. Secondly, Aperture provides many ways to adjust photos similar to Capture NX-2.

I've used Aperture for a few years and really like it. It's not a graphics program like Photoshop or Elements and doesn't do layers. That means you can't do a collage, for example. You also can't overlay graphics or write on the photo, but you can add a watermark.

Maybe that gives you a bit more information about Aperture.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Squirri Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012Sat 22-Sep-12 09:25 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: aperture software by apple"
In response to Reply # 0

Nottingham, GB

Aperture is a nice program and works well on a fast Mac with lots of RAM(think 8GB). Although you can't do layering per se, you can brush in multiple adjustments, which sort of mimics adjustment layers and layer masks in Photoshop. You can also set Aperture to fire up the image for editing in Photoshop or any other image editor.

There's been a lot of discussion about Aperture vs Lightroom(Adobe). At the risk of igniting a flame war, I would argue that the balance of opinion puts LR ahead, especially in the area of house reduction, in the image processing stakes. On balance, Aperture wins out on its image management capabilities.

A new release of Aperture is long overdue, but there have been questions raised about Apple's commitment to Pro software(witness the howls of rage over Final Cut Pro X)

Having said that, I've used Aperture for a couple of years and been very happy with it in the main. It's fast, very stable and I like what it does for my images.

You can download a trial of LR from Adobe. You used to be able to do that for Aperture
But I'm not sue if that's possible these days(I'm away from my Mac as I write this).

I'd try each one and see which fits your workflow. Both will give you great results!

res ipsa loquitur

Joseph Bautsch Registered since 15th Oct 2009Sun 23-Sep-12 03:21 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: aperture software by apple"
In response to Reply # 3

Marietta, US

An advantage to using Aperture is that you can link it to photoshop or PSE or any other PP program. Aperture will convert and move any photo(s) into the selected PP for the work you want to do. When you hit save in the other PP it will move the worked on file back into Aperture alongside the original. This process allows you to work in other PP programs and still take advantage of Aperture's superior image management.

Squirri Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012Sat 13-Oct-12 04:19 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: aperture software by apple"
In response to Reply # 4

Nottingham, GB

The only moan I have about opening the image in Photoshop is that it doesn't open it into Adobe Camera Raw, even if you tell it to edit the master copy. This means that you can't use Adobe's lens correction functionality direct from Aperture. I guess that sort of makes sense as Aperture has its own RAW convertor. This does give LR an edge as I shoot a fair amount of wide angle and the vignette and other lens correction capability in Aperture is nowhere near as good.

If you want to really tweak an image, and assuming you are using managed libraries, you have to dig into the Aperture library and copy out the original master file. Easy enough if you know what you are doing, but definitely not elegant!

Rick

res ipsa loquitur

Howker Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Mon 15-Oct-12 02:25 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: aperture software by apple"
In response to Reply # 5

Redmond, US

CNX2 & VNX2 plus APerture are my standard workflow programs on a 27" iMac running OSX10.8.2 or Mountao Lion as you call it. All work seamlessly. CNX2 has 1 big advantage with NEF files it is the ONLY software that lets you import ALL the metadata from a NEF file inc Picture Control etc.
Everyone says Aperture cannot do layers, well it can using NIK plug in (Free) Layers but most processing can be achieved without layers in these programs.
Being a Nikon user you will find some processing easy in CNX2 thats not intuitive in Aperture but the organizing & speed of Aperture is 2nd to none & once thru the learning curve Aperture is a superb program.
Tom

krpowers316 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2012Mon 15-Oct-12 07:23 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: aperture software by apple"
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

I really like Aperture, but am concerned that Apple is putting on the back-burner as a non-core product. I'd be concerned about going to Aperture if I were not already on it.

Any thoughts on the future of Aperture?

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Tue 16-Oct-12 03:04 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: aperture software by apple"
In response to Reply # 0

Williamstown, US

Willie,

Gerold is correct about CNX-2. I have Mountain Lion on three machines and I played around and got the CNX-2 to load on all of them.

Mike

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1031 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.