Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1002
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture image database and other aperture questions" Previous topic | Next topic
ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 12:34 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture image database and other aperture questions"

Katonah, US

I was reading through a another post and it mentioned that Aperture had a database. How does the database work. Am I locked into some obscure vendor folder structure or can I use my folder structure. I do not want my photos to get lost or corrupted if the application crashes. I have my own way of sorting my photos that has been working very well for me.

The Authors of 'Photoshop CS 5 for Nature Photographers' say in their book that they use Aperture as there primary tool and only go into Photoshop to do layer masks and use the filters.

I have Photoshop cs 5. I use levels, curves and unsharp mask. I may occasional straighten lines/edges of a sign that I photographed. Can I perform all of these tasks with Aperture. Will it make my image optimization easier?

Is aperture compatible with D200 raw files?

What fie format does Aperture use, Photoshops PSD?

How does Aperture compare to Light Loom?

Thank You

Al

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Aperture image database and other aperture questio...
galway59
30th Aug 2012
ajstark123 Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
ajstark123 Silver Member
30th Aug 2012
Joseph Bautsch
31st Aug 2012

galway59 Registered since 31st Aug 2008Thu 30-Aug-12 02:16 AM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture image database and other aperture questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

Al,

Short answer is that Aperture should allow you to manage whatever folder structure you want.

One point I remember from my reading is a prompt to think differently about image management up front: Aperture (and I believe Lightroom also) is very good at recording metadata with images and that this allows for a dynamic hierarchy (rather than a fixed set of cascaded folders). A database approach rather than nested sub directories. You can just as easily set up cascaded folders if that is what you like though.

Post processing of images is certainly easy (review and rate them, level them, crop them, enhance them with curves etc etc). Your processing is also all separate from the image so that nothing you do cannot be undone/redone later (unlike photoshop). Photoshop allows for much more work at the pixel level (eg if you want to manipulate rather than just enhance your images).

Aperture stores what you import (NEF or jpeg) and can export a range of formats including psd, tiff.

I cannot compare vs Lightroom - I have had no reason to look beyond Aperture, but my sense is that each has a lot of supporters.

Michael

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 09:30 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture image database and other aperture questions"
In response to Reply # 1

Katonah, US

Thank You for responding.

I will probably keep my own file/directory structure. Because that is what I am use to to.

How much control do I have with aperture. Can I tell it to where to root it database file structure. That way if it does crash I have some hope of recovering/finding my files. What I disliked about iPhoto is that it lacked this control.

I have hundreds of photos in my cascading folder structure. Are they easy to import into Aperture?

Does aperture have plug ins from for HDR?

Part of my motivation is Photoshop is very expensive to keep upgrading. I am looking for a less expensive alternative that has all the features that I use in Photoshop.

Al

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 30-Aug-12 12:24 PM
758 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture image database and other aperture questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

" I am looking for a less expensive alternative that has all the features that I use in Photoshop."

Aperture 3 and Photoshop are different kinds of applications. Photoshop's strengths are layering and graphics plus photo manipulation, such as white balance, exposure, colors, etc.

Aperture 3 is a digital asset management application that also provides many photo manipulation capabilities similar to Photoshop, but does not provide layering and graphics. One of Aperture' strengths is the ability to add significant metadata, ratings, color codes, date the photo was taken, etc, that can be used for search filters.

Aperture also provides the ability to work with two types of libraries. The first is a "referenced" library where the user maintains the file structure and photo location. The second is a "managed" library where the photos go into the Aperture library and are all contained in a more traditional dynamic database structure.

Here's the plug-ins page for Aperture.

http://www.apple.com/aperture/resources/plugins.html

Hope that provides a bit more information.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ajstark123 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2007Thu 30-Aug-12 11:02 PM
#4. "RE: Aperture image database and other aperture questions"
In response to Reply # 3

Katonah, US

This helped.

Joseph Bautsch Registered since 15th Oct 2009Fri 31-Aug-12 11:19 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Aperture image database and other aperture questions"
In response to Reply # 4

Marietta, US

Aperture stores the photo files in either managed libraries or referenced files. These files are separate from the aperture application. If the application crashes the photo files are still there and are not lost. I would however recommend that the photo files either managed or referenced be kept on separate drives from the application. If the drive on the computer crashes then you have lost everything, application and photo files. I use the Aperture managed libraries system and keep them on a separate drive, well over 500 gb of raw photos. There is not enough room on my computer drive to store that many photo files anyway. I also use Aperture's vault to back-up the libraries with that on a separate drive as well.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1002 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.