Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture 3 discussion" Previous topic | Next topic
thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Mon 08-Mar-10 09:13 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture 3 discussion"

Portland, OR, US

I thought I'd start a thread here for anyone wanting to talk about workflow, troubleshooting, or other issues related to Aperture 3.

We have a ton of new Aperture 3 tutorials and downloads at http://aperture.maccreate.com/

There are some intersting Nikon related resources including presets:
Aperture 3 Presets - Tilt Shift Nikon D3/D3S/D700
Aperture 3 Presets - Simulated Nikon Picture Control

There are also sites for Lightroom and other Apple software maccreate.com

Thomas Boyd
thomasboyd.net

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Aperture 3 discussion
bike2kayak
10th Mar 2010
NoWin Silver Member
11th Mar 2010
thomasrboyd
11th Mar 2010
DiploStrat
09th Apr 2010
Lynceus Silver Member
18th Aug 2010
uncarich
05th Sep 2010
thomasrboyd
25th Mar 2010
jlmoriarty
05th Apr 2010
dslradvocate
26th Apr 2010
jlmoriarty
28th Apr 2010
thomasrboyd
28th Apr 2010
jlmoriarty
29th Apr 2010
thomasrboyd
29th Apr 2010
thomasrboyd
11th May 2010
jlmoriarty
13th May 2010
thomasrboyd
13th May 2010
jlmoriarty
16th May 2010
1shot
24th May 2010
thomasrboyd
24th May 2010
thomasrboyd
02nd Jun 2010
Adam 08
04th Aug 2010
ospierling
04th Aug 2010
Adam 08
04th Aug 2010
thomasrboyd
05th Aug 2010
Adam 08
05th Aug 2010
ospierling
05th Aug 2010
Reply message Aperture 3 Performance
DiploStrat
06th Aug 2010
     Reply message RE: Aperture 3 Performance
Adam 08
12th Aug 2010
rkwiatek
09th Sep 2010

bike2kayak Registered since 09th Apr 2007Wed 10-Mar-10 10:21 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Tom, I'll reply here:

I have been using Nikon: Capture NX2, ViewNX and TransferNX. I have recently migrated from PC to a Mac and converted all my Nikon software over. I am generally happy but don't like the disconnect between each module. I have downloaded the Aperture 30 day trail and like the fact the the browser works seamlessly with the editor. However, my biggest problem is dealing with file management. Coming from a PC background, I am just not accustomed to not having readily accessible files in a folder rather than having Aperture manage file allocation. I have read that can set Aperture to "referenced" mode where it will reference files in a folder. However, it seems like still have to "import" them into Aperture library can't simply reference them directly. Is this correct? Also, m workflow is to shot both Raw + Jpeg and edit Raw files. I then save edits as a new jpeg with an _v2 _v3 etc. In Aperture I can do this by setting the Raw as master, but when I "Save As" e.g. export and export to my folder, it does not show up in my Aperture browser. Do I need to import these Aperture-created jpegs back into Aperture each time I create a new version? Seems like a real admin pain.

Any advice on managing photos in Aperture would be greatly appreciated. I really like the interface and the edit controls seem great. Would like to continue using but if I can't get my head around the file management issue will stick with NXs.

Cheers,

Matt

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NoWin Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2009Thu 11-Mar-10 02:24 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 11-Mar-10 02:27 AM by NoWin

North Brookfield, US

You can choose either to import directly into the Aperture Library (managed), or into a referenced folder (i.e. external drive, or other folder on your main sys drive).

I started using referenced folders when I moved off iPhoto to Aperture 2 and NX2 last year. There has been enough discussion on various forums on the +/- of each.

There is more than one way to do an import, by the way...so checking out the various methods helps in how you you may want to click through the process. The A3 pdf manual is almost 900 pages, so there is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not difficult (I started with NX2 myself)

Also, you can import to your referenced folders/drive via NXTransfer and quick-delete pics via ViewNX. This allows you to create the warehoused folder names on the fly (which you can also do in A3, by the way). Then, once you have the imported pics off the card/camera, fire up A3 and import the referenced folder. I haven't weened myself completely off NXTransfer/ViewNX yet.

Some other sites for help/discussion I frequent, as well as the maccreate afore mentioned:

http://photo.rwboyer.com/
http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=184 (Aperture forums)

Have Nikon, learning Nikon.
http://furball.smugmug.com/
http://www.flickr.com/nowin/

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Thu 11-Mar-10 06:03 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 1

Portland, OR, US

It is correct that you are both importing them into aperture AND referencing them directly. It's not big deal to import though, it goes very quickly to import referenced files.

As for the raw/jpeg issue, I'm not exactly clear on what you are doing or why, but I think you may be needlessly exporting photos. An exported photo will not show back up in the library unless you import it again. It sounds like you thinking you need to save your changes by exporting. Every change you make is saved as you go so there's no need to "save".

You may even be shooting raw+jpeg needlessly. The main reason shooters do that is if they need two file types for different specific reasons. Usually, they do it if they need to transmit jpegs very soon after the shoot and still the quality of raw later.

In your case, I suspect you only really need the raw. If you don't need the jpeg for a specific reason, I wouldn't shoot both.

Here's link to a good discussion about these very issues:
http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/03/09/call-for-referenced-vs-managed-definitive-opinions/

DiploStrat Registered since 06th Dec 2006Fri 09-Apr-10 06:32 PM
473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 10-Apr-10 08:47 AM by DiploStrat

Bangui, CF

> I have downloaded the
>Aperture 30 day trail and like the fact the the browser works
>seamlessly with the editor. However, my biggest problem is
>dealing with file management. Coming from a PC background, I
>am just not accustomed to not having readily accessible files
>in a folder rather than having Aperture manage file
>allocation.

If you will permit some comments from an old ADP hack, your problem is less a PC background and more a lack of understanding of what a DBMS is. Beyond that, you need to understand the Zen of Aperture and and RAW based/non-destructive workflow. (All of this is true of Lightroom as well.)

-- Aperture is not a "browser" of existing files as such, but rather a full blown data base management system. As such, its entire purpose is to manage your files so you can manage your images. They are NOT the same. The only reason you want to browse files is that was the only way you could do things. (View NX and Bridge are more about showing you things are they are, not as you want them to be.)

>I have read that can set Aperture to
>"referenced" mode where it will reference files in a
>folder. However, it seems like still have to
>"import" them into Aperture library can't simply
>reference them directly. Is this correct?

-- Yes, and no. The Aperture Library is a database of image and file information. The files can be physically inside the "Package" (which is really just a folder) or outside the package, anywhere you want, or both, in any combination your want. "Importing" is nothing mysterious, it is merely the process of indexing the files so that Aperture can display the images in any combination of views you can dream up - totally independently of their physical position on your disk(s). When you "import" files you can: 1) Leave them where they are ("referenced"), or, 2) have them physically moved inside the Library ("managed") If they are managed, they are inside the package, neatly arranged by date, pretty much the way you might do it. In fact, it has been pointed out that even if you want to run "referenced" masters, it may still be worth bringing them in "managed" organizing them, and then "relocating" them out. Might be easier than doing it by hand.

>Also, m workflow
>is to shot both Raw + Jpeg and edit Raw files. I then save
>edits as a new jpeg with an _v2 _v3 etc. In Aperture I can do
>this by setting the Raw as master, but when I "Save
>As" e.g. export and export to my folder, it does not show
>up in my Aperture browser. Do I need to import these
>Aperture-created jpegs back into Aperture each time I create a
>new version? Seems like a real admin pain.

Why ARE you doing all of that work? In fact, why are you bothering with JPEG at all, except as something to send to Aunt Mary? Once Aperture has your master file, it creates what is called a "version." This is a tiny, 30k file that contains all of your edits, if any. Want a B&W conversion? Make a new version, another 30k. Want to keep a special crop or color cast? Make another version. The beauty is that you are doing all of your work at 16 bit against the RAW file without actually ever having to duplicate, save as, etc., etc. You simply don't have to do any of that. In fact, with the new global presets, which you can set up to imitate any form of in camera processing you want, there is very little reason to even bother with shooting RAW/JPEG.

You invest in your RAW files and keep them in the Library. You expense JPEGS as needed, by exporting. And once e-mailed, burned on a CD, or whatever, you simply delete them; they serve no further purpose.

I hope this is useful. After making that daisy chain of Nikon software work, you will find the Aperture is a dream. You just have to understand that you don't need to do all of that work. Ride your bike, take more pictures, do less post processing!

--
DiploStrat

Visit my gallery.

Lynceus Silver Member Charter MemberWed 18-Aug-10 03:16 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 6

Louisville, US

Thank you Diplostart; a very helpful tutorial.

festina lente, make haste slowly

uncarich Registered since 24th Aug 2010Sun 05-Sep-10 09:22 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks for this post. Now I get how Aperture works. It is hard to cast off the windows paradigm.

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Thu 25-Mar-10 08:19 PM
#4. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 0

Portland, OR, US

Aperture 3.0.2 Arrives

There's a good article on the details here:

http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/03/25/aperture-3-0-2-arrives-major-update-with-minor-version-number/

jlmoriarty Registered since 08th Mar 2008Mon 05-Apr-10 07:08 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 4

Asheville, US

Does anyone have any experience using Tom Boyd's MacCreate tutorials? I'm interested but I would like to hear from somebody who has used them.

many thanks,
John Moriarty

dslradvocate Registered since 06th Jan 2008Mon 26-Apr-10 07:18 PM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 5

Portola Valley, US

There isn't much in the way of "how to do it" for Aperture the way there is for Adobe products. There are two books that I know of for Aperture 2, none for 3.
However, MacCreate is a good source for everything Aperture (and all of Apple's i- products as well.) Boyd's tutorials are good and cover the subject well. In addition, MacCreate has some tutorials by other teachers such as Ellen Anon, that are excellent. There is also Lynda.com which has a tutorial by Derick Storey, for 2 and 3 that are good. The problem for me is that Aperture 3 is an very, very rich program which essentially does all the thing that Lightroom, etc do. As a result, I find that I have to go over and over the tutorials the get the maximum use out of the program. One can be up and running right away and it is easy to be productive. Its the bells and whistles that are a challenge. Bottom line, Aperture 3 is a great program if you have a Mac. I find a new feature almost every day.

Sam Gordon

jlmoriarty Registered since 08th Mar 2008Wed 28-Apr-10 04:30 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 0

Asheville, US

>I thought I'd start a thread here for anyone wanting to talk
>about workflow, troubleshooting, or other issues related to
>Aperture 3.
>
>We have a ton of new Aperture 3 tutorials and downloads at
>http://aperture.maccreate.com/
>
>There are some intersting Nikon related resources including
>presets:
>Aperture 3 Presets - Tilt Shift Nikon D3/D3S/D700
>Aperture 3 Presets - Simulated Nikon Picture Control
>
>There are also sites for Lightroom and other Apple software
>maccreate.com
>
>Thomas Boyd
>thomasboyd.net

Having paid $40 for a premium membership and trying to download the full Aperture tutorial I have had no success with the download or in getting a response from someone at maccreate. Sorry to bring my complaint here but this is my 3 attempt.

Would really like to hear from somebody. Getting cranky.

moriarty DOT john 627 AT gmail Dot com

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Wed 28-Apr-10 05:00 AM
#9. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 28-Apr-10 05:03 AM by thomasrboyd

Portland, OR, US

I've sent your complaint directly to the site owner. If you don't get help in the morning shoot me an email at thomasrboyd at gmail dot com.

If you get stuck and have a question please post it here and I'll try to help. I get email alerts anytime anyone posts anything to his thread. Or, feel free to email me directly.

Tom

jlmoriarty Registered since 08th Mar 2008Thu 29-Apr-10 01:59 AM
#10. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 9

Asheville, US

Tom ~~ I still haven't heard from maccreate. My credit card has been charged and there has been no response other than yours.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this is a legitimate operation. I hope you are going to convince me otherwise. Failing that, crediting my credit card would be okay, too.

John Moriarty

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Thu 29-Apr-10 02:19 AM
#11. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 10

Portland, OR, US

I can assure you will be taken care of.
Tom

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Tue 11-May-10 04:38 AM
#12. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 11

Portland, OR, US

Update:

His downloads were going to iTunes and he couldn't find them.

All is well.

Tom

jlmoriarty Registered since 08th Mar 2008Thu 13-May-10 05:41 AM
#13. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 12

Asheville, US

Tom Boyd is apparently the bright spot in this organization. Tom has gone out of his way to help but the last question I asked of someone at maccreate took 4 days to respond. As a "Premium" member it says I'm entitled to a copy of "Color Management: Mastering Perfect Color", wherever it is on the site it is not to be found.

This site sucks. And I cannot recommend it.

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Thu 13-May-10 03:10 PM
#14. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu 13-May-10 03:49 PM by thomasrboyd

Portland, OR, US

John:

I found the download link you are talking about in about 3 seconds. Do a search for "Color Management: Mastering Perfect Color" on the site after you login as a premium member. The link to the post you need will appear. Then follow the directions for download.

I helped you over the course of three days when you had problems downloading a video only for you to discover it was successfully downloaded to your iTunes app. I even sent you a free video download for your troubles. I would have helped you this time as well if you would have emailed me.

My personal email is still posted to this thread. It would have been faster for you to just email me with a question than it would have been to trash us on this message board.

We've have had thousands of successful downloads from our site (including yours) and we have very few problems.

Please, before trashing us on a message board, just ask a question. It only takes a few minutes to help and I'm happy to do it.

In fact, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I encourage all Nikonian members to post any questions or concerns about Aperture and I'll see I can help.

Tom Boyd
aperture.maccreate.com

jlmoriarty Registered since 08th Mar 2008Sun 16-May-10 05:55 AM
#15. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 14

Asheville, US

<snip>

Please, before trashing us on a message board, just ask a question. It only takes a few minutes to help and I'm happy to do it.

<snip>

Tom, may I suggest you take your own advice. Or would you prefer I follow your example and continue the discussion in public.

For example, it may be worth clarifying that the ORIGINAL downloads *were* problematic. They were NOT the ones which successfully downloaded to iTunes. The ORIGINAL downloads did not successfully download. YOUR complimentary downloads went to iTunes. And when I found them (you'll recall my Apple help calls were also unsuccessful) I let you know immediately when I found them.

As a matter of dealing with *retail* customers you are only as good as your last sale. That is simply the way the world works. You may have a gazillion happy customers (or customers that haven't voiced a complaint/concern/problem, but to the customer that wants to buy your product and is frustrated because of a confusing interface this should cause a mature seller to examine the sales process, not *publicly* criticize his customer. It is of *no* concern to me that you have had "very few problems". I am a single retail customer. Like it or not you are no longer wearing your photographer's hat... you are a retailer in this instance. This isn't a personal criticism. This is the business you are in when you choose to sell a retail product.

<snip>
In fact, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I encourage all Nikonian members to post any questions or concerns about Aperture and I'll see I can help.
<snip>

Well, not ALL concerns, really... just the nice ones...

Now, would you like to continue this on this forum?

Lastly, thank you again for your immediate help. Waiting 4 days for someone at maccreate to respond to a question is somewhat less helpful.

many thanks,
John L. Moriarty
Asheville

1shot Registered since 07th Feb 2007Mon 24-May-10 05:41 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 0

Broken Arrow, US

Are your tutorials video or printed? They seem to be both, but what ratio of each?
I find I do much better watching than reading. I'm ore visual that analytical, I guess. It comes in handy being a photog.

bob

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
"WOW, What a ride!"

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Mon 24-May-10 05:47 PM
#17. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 16

Portland, OR, US

I do both written and video tutorials, but I'm not the only professional photographer doing tutorials on maccreate.com.

Jim Richardson has a video coming out soon and Sara France has several out as ell. Ellen Anon has a few too.

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Wed 02-Jun-10 04:41 AM
#18. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 17

Portland, OR, US

Jim Richardson's video is live. Check it out here:

http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/06/01/aperture-masters-video-fro

Adam 08 Registered since 16th Dec 2008Wed 04-Aug-10 03:16 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 0

Baton Rouge, US

I just updated from Aperture 2 to Aperture 3 and my Macbook Pro (Early 2008) runs horribly slow when using this program. In all fairness, I believe that the "Suggested Requirements" are 4GB of RAM and currently (Until New Egg send me my package) my machine is running 2GB. I have heard that turning off Faces in the Preferences would speed things up but I have not had much luck so far. I am very excited about some of the new features and hope this memory upgrade will fix some of my issues. Any other suggestions? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Adam Bradley

ospierling Registered since 27th Apr 2006Wed 04-Aug-10 08:55 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 19

Dubai, AE

I have a MBP 2006 with 2 GB RAM and experience the same: Once all faces had been detected (a process I had to restart a few times) the system stabilized, but the speed is slow. In fact I do not process my RAWs any further, since I simply feel that the ratio shooting/post is not right anymore (and I only talk about slight fine tuning in post most of the time) - I only import and label them (coz if I don't do it immediately, I won't do it later) and will order a new iMac with i7 upgrade and 2*4 RAM.

I expected this, but it's still quite funny to see that a CS4 Auto Align Layers Panorama operation can be faster that a few touch ups in Aperture 3.

Who told us that digital photography is cheaper because we save film (processing) costs....?

Oliver

Adam 08 Registered since 16th Dec 2008Wed 04-Aug-10 09:30 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 20

Baton Rouge, US

Mr. Oliver, after some intense searching on the internet I found out that we are not alone here. One of the fixes that I have found is clearing out your caches on your machine. I tried Onyx (Freeware) and used the cleaning utility. Aperture is much faster, not perfect, but much faster. Really the entire machine is faster now. Not sure if this is the magic bullet but it seems to have helped me.

Adam Bradley

thomasrboyd Registered since 08th Mar 2010Thu 05-Aug-10 03:48 PM
#22. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 21

Portland, OR, US

Here's are a couple articles that may help you get better performance:

http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/07/07/bokeh-brothers-getting-more-performance-out-of-aperture-3/

http://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/06/21/john-thawley-perhaps-a-performance-improvement-in-aperture-3/

Adam 08 Registered since 16th Dec 2008Thu 05-Aug-10 06:34 PM
#23. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 22

Baton Rouge, US

Thank you for the help. There are a couple of things that I have not tried yet in there so I will give it a shot. This program seems like a real time saver if it was running good but at this point I'm not sure that I will keep using it. I'm not willing to throw darts at Apple just yet until I can confirm it is not something on my machine causing the issue. Apple usually puts out a great product. Once again thanks for the link and the your site looks like a winner. If I do get this thing running well I will return there.

Adam Bradley

ospierling Registered since 27th Apr 2006Thu 05-Aug-10 07:43 PM
114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 23

Dubai, AE

Thank you for your tips, Adam & thomasrboyd. Will have a closer look at this (and still get the iMac....)
Oliver

DiploStrat Registered since 06th Dec 2006Fri 06-Aug-10 07:28 AM
473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "Aperture 3 Performance"
In response to Reply # 19
Fri 06-Aug-10 07:43 AM by DiploStrat

Bangui, CF

Adam,

To reply to you and others on Aperture 3 performance. In my experience (as a very early adopter), Aperture 3 speed is a bit pass/fail. By this I mean that beach balls or hangs are usually symptoms of something wrong; something that will not be fixed simply by adding more memory, etc.

If you have EVER had Aperture 2 on your computer, it is almost imperative that you purge all cache and pref files. A quick search of the Apple Aperture Forum or the Internet will find a list of the files that must go. To quote a previous post:

"And try this:

Go to the finder and move everything to the trash that is inside these folders:

Hard Drive/Library/Caches
Hard Drive/System/Library/Caches
Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Caches

Also delete this file:
Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Preferences/com.apple.aperture.plist

Reboot... It will take a little bit. Report back if this works."

That last file is may be missing /library/ at some point, but you get the idea.

The goal is to clear Aperture 2 pref and cache files which do not get updated with Aperture 3. (Booo! Apple! This is too Windoze for words.)

You may be able to do this using Onyx or Appzapper. (Use Appzapper to delete both Aperture 2 and 3, then reinstall AP3.)"

Finally:

-- Don't forget to empty the trash after you delete the caches, and,
-- Don't forget to update Aperture to the latest and greatest release, specifically including the ProKit update.
-- A "quick - on line" defrag with iDefrag, AFTER you have done all of this, really helps with scrolling, etc.

I find that Aperture 3 on my Mini is much faster than Aperture 2 on my MacPro. Aperture 3 is completely usable, for field work at least, on my 2006 MacBookPro with 2 GB of RAM

Best wishes!

--
DiploStrat

Visit my gallery.

Adam 08 Registered since 16th Dec 2008Thu 12-Aug-10 06:32 PM
#26. "RE: Aperture 3 Performance"
In response to Reply # 25

Baton Rouge, US

Well, Newegg delivered my new RAM today and for what it's worth the application is much, much quicker and seems to be stable now. I now have double the recommended RAM for the application and tried most of the tricks and tips recommended here. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

On a side note, Apple has disappointed me with this application. Not the application itself (I think it is very helpful), but rather the "Compatability" of it. The "It just works" line rings hollow this time. Rant aside, the application is pretty neat and I think it will save me a lot of time that I would normally spend in CS3.

Adam Bradley

rkwiatek Registered since 18th Jun 2010Thu 09-Sep-10 03:30 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Aperture 3 discussion"
In response to Reply # 0

US

First of all, I love A3. I wasn't a huge fan of A2 but it seems as if Apple took the time to dramatically improve the tool in this release. Now, A3 does have it limitations with regards to editing the PS does very well. I understand the PS can be an external editor within the A3 environment, but I was wondering more about the RAW conversion process. Is the RAW imaging process a preference or are there discernible differences between Adobe and Apple? I've been importing the same picture into both Adobe and A3 to get a feel for it myself, but I thought I would throw this out there to see what others think. For those who do use CS5, do you use it strictly as an external editor when needed?

Thanks for the input.

Ray

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Apple postprocessing (Public) topic #1 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.