Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9846
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR4 - Saving Files" Previous topic | Next topic
mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 02:20 PM
492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR4 - Saving Files"

Simcoe, CA

I have Kelby's book (and read it ).
After making edits, do I have to Export to Explorer folders to save the files or can I leave them in LR4 just as they are edited.

I noticed that when I deleted some unwanted edits on virtual copies, sometimes that whole stack of 2-3 images is wiped out to the Recycle bin and I have to go back to it to retrieve them. I just undated to LR4.3 - that is supposed to have fixed that issue - am I correct??

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR4 - Saving Files
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
13th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
04th Feb 2013

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 10-Jan-13 02:34 PM
2036 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 0

Norcross, US

You don't have to export the files from LR unless you want to print them, etc.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 04:02 PM
492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 1

Simcoe, CA

And to PRINT them outside of LR, say, in PSE or whatever softeware one chooses? is what you may have meant. Because you can print using the LR PRINT module.

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 10-Jan-13 04:14 PM
2036 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 4

Norcross, US

Sorry. I wasn't clear. I was thinking of when you printed from a service rather than an attached printer.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 09:25 PM
#8. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 5

Simcoe, CA

Oh.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 03:50 PM
2504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Jan-13 04:18 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

> "After making edits, do I have to Export to Explorer folders to save the files or can I leave them in LR4 just as they are edited."

As Bob said, exporting is different from saving. When you "edit" (metadata or adjustments), all edits are immediately stored in LR's catalog. If you have opted to save metadata in a sidecar XMP file, that file is created/updated automatically. Or you can create/update the sidecar file by "saving" (Ctrl-S). Yes, this is what Saving does in LR - it copies the edits from LR's catalog to an image-specific sidecar file. But there are some "edits" (user actions) that LR only stores in its internal catalog, such as flags (keep/delete), virtual copies, collections, etc.

> "I noticed that when I deleted some unwanted edits on virtual copies, sometimes that whole stack of 2-3 images is wiped out to the Recycle bin ..."

Make a note of what LR says when you press Delete. If it says: "Delete the selected virtual copy?", you can safely choose Delete. But if it says "Delete the selected *Master* files or Remove from LR catalog", this means that you have set the virtual copy as the master image. I think this is illogical. You can set a Virtual copy as Master, but you may forget having done so, and when you delete the photo labeled as the Virtual Copy, LR proposes to delete the master image. Fortunately it requests confirmation.

>" I just undated to LR4.3 - that is supposed to have fixed that issue"

Is "undated" a word? This is precisely what I did: installed 4.3, unliked it and re-installed 4.2. Fortunately I don't have any cameras requiring 4.3.

Best regads, Antero

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 04:00 PM
#3. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 2

Simcoe, CA

Of course I meant "updated" where UP is the desired word.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 04:17 PM
2504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 10-Jan-13 04:21 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

Sorry, I was just trying to be funny, because undoing an update is just what I recently did with LR. I should have continued that the odd behavior with virtual copies is not related to versions.

Regards, Antero

EDIT: And when I said "this means that you have set the virtual copy as the master image. I think this is illogical." ... I didn't mean your behavior is illogical but that LR's behavior is. When the user attempts to delete a virtual copy, deleting a virtual copy is what LR shoud do, IMO, and not even offer to delete an actual file from the disk.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 09:25 PM
#7. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 6

Simcoe, CA

That's OK. A little humour goes a long way here. It was just I have to take careful consideration of people explanation when I'm trying to figure something out.

I notice Scott's book doesn't seem to go into stuff like this - we're kind of on our own (notwithstanding Nikonians help).

Also, is there a place where all the "killer tips" and shortcuts are listed for easy reference, or do I have to make a list myself?

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 09:28 PM
#9. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 2

Simcoe, CA

I read this reply again, and it makes sense in that LR does ask what I wanted to do but was confused as to what constituted the Master file.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 11:59 PM
1228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 9

Toronto, CA

I see no reason for you to export or edit-in PSE10 or anything else for printing.

I was a PSE user, but at PSE9 I gave up on its print module and went to LR3 just to get its improved and less-buggy print module.

I love LR3/4 for printing. The only times I send a photo out is ...

• to "editIn" CS6 which then puts the result (I save as a Tiff) back into LR and can auto-stack with the original (in my case a NEF).
  • to send photos out, to friends, to include in some other application or because something requires a JPEG (or TIFF). Otherwise things sit in LR as NEF's with the editing instructions in the catalog

----
Dennis Smith.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Sun 13-Jan-13 08:12 PM
#11. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 2

Simcoe, CA

WHy did you revert back to LR4.2? I noticed that when I went from LR4.2 to 4.3, I get more frequent errors with Windows forceing a shutdown of LR. I didn't get that with the previous version. Did you find this, or what did you find. I thought 4.3 was supposed to have fixed bugs present in previous versions.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 13-Jan-13 09:54 PM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 11

Richmond, US

I'm on Mac, but I think 4.3 is less reliable than 4.2. It's not too bad, it's more like going from a 95 to a 90, but it isn't in the direction that we really prefer. I've seen other software go from a 70 to a 50 - in other words from a C- to an F.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 14-Jan-13 10:30 AM
#16. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 12

Simcoe, CA

Hmmm, Interesting. I'm on PC though. THanks just the same for your input.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 14-Jan-13 04:57 AM
#15. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 11

Vantaa, FI

I didn't get forced shutdowns. Instead in LR 4.3, when was in the Develop module, the screen frequently went black and LR started to process the image from anew, displaying the "Loading..." sign for several seconds. I had no issues with 4.2 so I reverted to it.

Plus once or twice, when I had transferred a set of photos from LR 4.3 to CS6, to be opened as smart objects, Photoshop suddenly ceased working. This has never happened to me before, nor did it happen again when I reverted to 4.2. It may be a case of LR 4.3 hoarding resources like memory or processor time, I don't know which.

Regards, Antero

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 14-Jan-13 10:31 AM
#17. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 15

Simcoe, CA

Interesting observation. I didnt' notice that yet to the point of distraction, but I'll keep my eyes open and maybe I'll be going back to 4.2. We'll see.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 28-Jan-13 10:56 PM
#18. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 17

Simcoe, CA

I'm experiencing this now and it is really annoying. Does anyone else have this happening and maybe we should ask Adobe what gives? Of course they may see this as a money grabbing opportunity masked as customer support.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 09:55 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 18

Joanna, US

I'm using (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) the latest version of LR and haven't experienced any problem. Could be that I haven't processed many pictures to date and will experience a problem later (hope not).

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 03:37 PM
#20. "RE: LR4 - Saving Files"
In response to Reply # 15

Simcoe, CA

Under Edit/Preferences select file handling and at the bottom by the Camera Raw Cache Settings, I was instructed by Adobe reviews from Google to set this from the default of 1 GB to 3-5. I set it to 5 and dont' seem to be having the problem anymore. THey also suggested getting 16GB RAM. I think I have eight and some onboard my video driver, but I cant' remember. ANyway it seems to have helped.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9846 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.