Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9844
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR4.3 - Softproofing Images" Previous topic | Next topic
mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 10-Jan-13 02:03 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"

Simcoe, CA

When I view an edited image and the results are "poppy", when I click Softproof to a GLossy PHoto Paper, the results are reduced contrast and pop. So I have to tweak it extra in contrast and vibrance etc, so that it looks excessive in order to get the softproof looking decent and then the print comes out Good. I understand the stuff about the monitor is backlit and will be brighter than a light reflecting surface of a print, which will appear darker.

Is this the process that everyone is using????

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images
blw Moderator
10th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
blw Moderator
22nd Jan 2013
JonK Moderator
11th Jan 2013
jherrel Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
wmmc Gold Member
25th Jan 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 10-Jan-13 11:47 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Yep, sounds familiar, although my personal issues are mostly with lower dMax on matte papers rather than color saturation.

I will say, though, that this is highly, highly dependent on the paper to which you're printing, and then on the profile that is used to do the proofing and printing.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Fri 11-Jan-13 01:18 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"
In response to Reply # 1

Simcoe, CA

So, what I do is to run side by side comparison of the original image with the softproofing copy and edit until they match pretty closely and then test print. I turns out pretty good but Im surprised that to do that from a monitor image as much tweaking is required to up the Contrast and brightness. I guess that's when that adjustment is availalble at the bottom of the Print Module parameters.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 07:42 PM
#6. "RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"
In response to Reply # 1

Simcoe, CA

I read somewhere that although you can get profiles from the major manufac. and I use these, the results from profiling the printer using Spyder Print Pro or similar, you would be hardpressed to really notice a significant difference, at least not one a client would notice, given only one example of a print and nothing to compare it to. I have a Canon Pro9000markii and use SPyder 3.0 biweekly for my monitor. Comments?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 22-Jan-13 09:35 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond, US

There is a BIG difference between an illuminated display and a reflective paper partially covered with ink. I have an Epson printer and I use mostly Epson, Hanemulhe, and Ilford papers - there are profiles for all of them with the Epson HDR inks, and I don't even attempt to print without the profiles loaded. My first print with any new paper is a standard test image (I got it from one of the Rocky Nook books on printing), so I generally will catch anything too far out of the ordinary fairly quickly. I do still have a fairly big difference in some cases between the image as seen on the screen and the soft proof - as far as I understand (very little), this is a normal situation.

I assume that there are profiles available for most common papers with Canon's photo printers, since they are a fairly significant proportion of the photographic output market. On the other hand, since I'm an Epson owner (and all of my photographic friends who own printers are also Epson users), I've never really looked...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 11-Jan-13 02:08 PM
4465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Many folk, when printing from Photoshop, take the image file, add an adjustment layer or layers, and do all necessary adjustments necessary for the ink and paper being used.

That way they never mess with the original image adjustments. You can do something similar in Lightroom — once you tweak an image to your satisfaction, make a virtual copy and adjust it for print. You might even add a code to the file name to indicate the type of paper you are printing on. You might end up with "MH12345", "MH12345G" for gloss, "MH12345M" for matte…

And the very best printers I know do multiple test prints, tweaking as necessary. Soft proofing is nice, but test prints are exact.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

jherrel Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007Fri 11-Jan-13 05:47 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"
In response to Reply # 3

Elgin, US

AS my color management, softproofing and printing workflow improve, that is exactly what I am doing and getting much better prints.

John Herrel
Nikonian from South Carolina
See the light, capture the essence!

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Tue 22-Jan-13 07:39 PM
#5. "RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"
In response to Reply # 3

Simcoe, CA

Yes, I see that I do have to make some 4x6's to really get the exact image the way I want it, especially the larger images, 13x19". One thing I'm puzzeled about is when LR4 displays, in the print module, Page 1 of 3, I only see page 1. I can't find where it says how to see page 2 and 3. Can you tell me this, please?

wmmc Gold Member Nikonian since 09th May 2009Fri 25-Jan-13 09:45 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: LR4.3 - Softproofing Images"
In response to Reply # 5

Singapore, SG

I was excited to hear when the Softproofing was going to be added to LR4. Before it came out I had started callibrating my monitor and Epson R2880 with ColorMunki, and was very happy with the output. Then LR4 come out with Softproofing, and I figure I will give it a try. Whoa! Even with the correct profiles selected, the softproofed version looks bad. And fortuanately nothing like the real prints. The only thing I found I need to do in LR4 is add +32 to the Print Adjustment Brightness, to get a near perfect match, and stop using Softproofing!

Bill

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9844 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.