Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9801
View in linear mode

Subject: "How Do I Use The Clone Tool?" Previous topic | Next topic
Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 05-Jan-13 09:26 PM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How Do I Use The Clone Tool?"

Bellingham, US

Hello,
I asked this question a couple of months ago and got a good answer but now I cannot find the post. I know enough about the clone tool that I select an area to copy by clicking alt and left click. Then I paint by left clicking. But there are some settings at the top of CS4 page that I forgot how to set. Right now I am not cloning anything. Any help will be surely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Bill

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see" Henry David Thoreau
(1817-62)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sat 05-Jan-13 10:30 PM
2504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How Do I Use The Clone Tool?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

I don't know about CS4 but CS5 and CS6 have settings like sample: current layer, current&below, or sample all layers. When I clone anything complex, I do so on a new, empty layer and obviously sample: current layer does not work because there's nothing to clone from. So set it to current&below or all layers. Then there are settings like "flow" which tells how large a percentage of a 100% stroke you're getting. I nearly always clone at 100% flow, but I need less than full strength cloning, I reduce the opacity of the cloning layer. Brush size and hardness (edge acuity) are now (in CS5-6) best adjusted by the HUD(head-up display), by dragging with the right mouse key and Alt key pressed. Sideways changes size and up/down changes hardness. But it may be that in CS4 you have to use toolbar settings for these parameters. These are basic clone brush parameters. Then for more exotic cloning you can open an expanded toolbox in which you can adjust the size and orientation of cloned image with respect to the source. For instance, if you clone from the foreground to more distant background you can reduce the size of the resulting clone.

Best regads, Antero

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Sat 05-Jan-13 11:02 PM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How Do I Use The Clone Tool?"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellingham, US

Thank you Antero. I was sampling the current layer. When I switched to all layers it worked. I thought I did that before writing this post but I guess I did not.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

(1817-62)

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 11-Jan-13 10:01 PM
682 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How Do I Use The Clone Tool?"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 11-Jan-13 10:02 PM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

You also have to pay attention the Mode setting for the Clone tool (and most of the tools for that matter). "Normal" is the default, but if you have it set to some of the other settings like Lighter, clicking might not make any changes at all on light areas. Opacity and Flow settings can also render the tool ineffective if set to 0.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Bela614 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2004Fri 11-Jan-13 10:08 PM
#4. "RE: How Do I Use The Clone Tool?"
In response to Reply # 3

Bellingham, US

Thank you M Jackson. I appreciate the help. I hope this thread does not get lost.
Bill

(1817-62)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9801 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.