Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9785
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightroom / Nik Sharpener Pro Workflow" Previous topic | Next topic
GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 10:56 PM
478 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lightroom / Nik Sharpener Pro Workflow"

Bailey, US

Hi. I want to do Pre-Sharpening in Nik, Creative Sharpening in LR, and Output sharpening in Nik. Then Print from the LR Print Module.

How to I turn OFF Input Sharpening in LR?

After doing Output Sharpening in NIK, I assume I add no Output Sharpening in the LR Print Module for paper type (glossy, matte)

Do I have this right or am I over sharpening by this method?

Thank you , Gary

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 03-Jan-13 01:55 AM
14450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightroom / Nik Sharpener Pro Workflow"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 03-Jan-13 01:58 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

>Hi. I want to do Pre-Sharpening in Nik, Creative Sharpening
>in LR, and Output sharpening in Nik. Then Print from the LR
>Print Module.
>
>How to I turn OFF Input Sharpening in LR?
>

Make the intensity zero.

>After doing Output Sharpening in NIK, I assume I add no Output
>Sharpening in the LR Print Module for paper type (glossy,
>matte)
>

That's correct

>Do I have this right or am I over sharpening by this method?
>

I wouldn't say you're over-sharpening, but I think you're kludging up your workflow. You'd be using an old and out-of-date sharpener with less flexibility that will force you into larger intermediate files that will clutter your drive and produce results that are at best no better. More likely, they'll be poorer. As much as I love many of Nik's others plug-ins (and I'm a huge fan of SEP2 and CEP4 in particular), I think Sharpener is a thing of the past. It was clearly designed for a single-stage workflow (no capture sharpening), so many of its sharpening controls are in the wrong module (output module contains items that should be in the capture sharpening one). Its capture sharpening breaks down and produces strange artifacts if you try to accentuate fine detail. Finally, you can't see the interaction between noise reduction and sharpening, which is a balancing act.

The bottom line: I wouldn't use it. You have far better tools within LR4 that make sharpening a breeze in comparison.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 06-Jan-13 04:50 PM
2009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lightroom / Nik Sharpener Pro Workflow"
In response to Reply # 1

Little Rock, US

>
>The bottom line: I wouldn't use it. You have far better tools
>within LR4 that make sharpening a breeze in comparison.

Just a vote for the above. Once I started understanding the sharpening tool of Lightroom 4, it was an "Aha!" moment. It is an extremely powerful tool like nothing I have seen in any program I have used before.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 03-Jan-13 02:01 AM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Lightroom / Nik Sharpener Pro Workflow"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

I think your doing more than you need to switching back and forth between programs. The latest versions of LR and PS do a great job on all stages of sharpening. If you can check out this video http://kelbytraining.com/course/matt_tack_sharp/

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 03:31 AM
478 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightroom / Nik Sharpener Pro Workflow"
In response to Reply # 2

Bailey, US

I appreciate you. Thanks ...

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9785 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.