nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
newbird

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA
2014 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006
Fri 28-Dec-12 09:11 PM

Hi,

I'm slowly moving from CNX2-PM5 to LR4.

I presently have 200,000 photos on 2 external HDD (NEFs + jpg for the post-processed ones). I have a complete copy on 2 other HD. I now want to create a catalog with LR4. I plan on making a 3rd copy of everything on a new 3Tb HDD.

My questions are:

1- Do I have to copy all my photos to the new 3Tb HDD before importing into LR4 or can I proceed folder by folder (i.e. can I clean one folder from the not so good photos and then, copy the cleaned folder with the remaining good photos on the new 3Tb HDD for their import into LR4, and then repeat the same operation for another folder later on)?

2- What will happen with the .NEF and .JPG versions of the same photo (they have the same name)?

3- What will happen when I will have to split my photos between 2 HDD because I'll have too many for one HDD?

4- Will I need to make a full copy of the new 3Tb HDD on a similar HDD or will it make sense to sync the LR4 imported photos with their source HDD (to make sure I have 2 copies of the files)?

5- Are the NEF files modified by the LR4 catalogue? Are there sidecar files to keep track of when making backup copies of my photos? Is there a LR4-specific file for the catalog?

Thanks a lot!

N.B. I have the books from Scott Kelby and from Martin Evening.

Yvan
Quebec Fine-Art Landscape Photographer
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New to LR: questions about importing