Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9721
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR Catalogue Backup" Previous topic | Next topic
Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Thu 27-Dec-12 05:47 PM
2038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR Catalogue Backup"

Norcross, US

I have been backing up my catalogue using the LR preferences setting. Is it necessary to keep more than 2 or 3 copies of the catalogue backup? I have 10 or so on my backup drive at about 500mg each. It appears that each backup is a complete backup rather than a differential backup so I should be safe with 3 or so in case of corruption of the most recent backup(s).

Is anyone using the LR Backup from The Photographer's Toolbox?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR Catalogue Backup
pdekman Gold Member
28th Dec 2012
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
pdekman Gold Member
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012
BSchirm Gold Member
28th Dec 2012
28th Dec 2012

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Fri 28-Dec-12 01:16 AM
1033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR Catalogue Backup"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Each backup is complete, so there is no need to keep all of them. I have other mechanisms for backup so typically erase all but the last few as well.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 28-Dec-12 01:47 AM
2038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR Catalogue Backup"
In response to Reply # 1

Norcross, US

Thanks Paul. They should give you an option of how many you want to save. Maybe LR5?

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Fri 28-Dec-12 02:25 PM
1033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR Catalogue Backup"
In response to Reply # 2

Swisher, US

Agreed. And... since it's just dumping the catalog file to the same harddrive, it's not really much of a backup at that. It would save you from a corrupted catalog file (which I've never experienced), but does nothing for your image files or from a HD crash.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 28-Dec-12 03:26 PM
#4. "RE: LR Catalogue Backup"
In response to Reply # 3

Norcross, US

Everything is being backed up to a seperate NAS drive. I didbhave a corrupt catalogue file. LR crashed in the middle of a session.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Fri 28-Dec-12 03:47 PM
2592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR Catalogue Backup"
In response to Reply # 0

Rolling Hills, US

Bob,

I handle things the same way you do. I back-up my files to an external drive, so there is no reason to save a bunch of LR catalogs, especially when each one is complete as Paul notes. I usually save one or two, just to have something in case of corruption.

Also, I have not used Tim Armes' LR Back-Up yet, although I have downloaded it. I use several other of Tim's plug-ins, my favorite being LR Mogrify, and they are well designed, so I suspect LR Back-Up probably has more options than LR itself when it comes to back-up settings.

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 28-Dec-12 07:33 PM
#6. "RE: LR Catalogue Backup"
In response to Reply # 5

Norcross, US

Thanks Barry. I use Mogrify as well.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9721 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.