Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9715
View in linear mode

Subject: "Keeping notes and comments" Previous topic | Next topic
llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Wed 26-Dec-12 10:08 PM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Keeping notes and comments"

El Paso, US

I believe that in Lightroom, the only place you can keep a text note or comment is in the ITPC data. This allows some minimal entry but I don't think there is an customization of the names in the fields.

I think it would be helpful to know who I printed photos for, or other info regarding price charged, size, date of transaction, etc.

Would appreciate your input as to how you handle this task and keep it organized and retrievable.

Thanks, Lance

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Keeping notes and comments
Antero52 Silver Member
27th Dec 2012
llevine Gold Member
27th Dec 2012
BSchirm Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
augustf Gold Member
27th Dec 2012
llevine Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
llevine Gold Member
30th Dec 2012

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 27-Dec-12 07:34 AM
2493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Keeping notes and comments"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 27-Dec-12 12:31 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

Adobe has published an interface kit for the database of LR, which some photographer/programmers have used to extend the metadata handling capability. For starters, you can check if Rob Cole (www.robcole.com) has something for you. If not, you can search the net for "lightroom metadata plugin", plus any additional search delimiters you can think of.

Regards, Antero

EDIT: See also John R. Ellis at http://www.johnrellis.com/lightroom/anyfilter.htm

John has three plugins: Any Filter, Any File and Any Tag. The web page for any one of them includes links to the other two.

EDIT2: See also John Beardsworth at http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/

This page lists his LR Plugins. The last one, BigNote, may be what you're looking for.

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Thu 27-Dec-12 05:47 PM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Keeping notes and comments"
In response to Reply # 1

El Paso, US

Hi Antero,

Thanks for your input. I looked at the websites that you referenced. The robcole product looked interesting but I got concerned when I started to read his instructions about customizing the product. It seemed very techy and I do not want to have to dig into the details that much. I would just like to be lead through the process and press buttons as required. I also did not see any updates since 2011 and that could mean that he is no longer actively working on these plugins. Or, he did it perfectly to begin with.

The Johnrellis products seem to be more for filtering or keyword related.

The John Beardsworth product is pretty simple. No bells and whistles but it could be workable.

Another concern is that lightroom comes out with a new version and it does not support the added iptc fields. My data disappears and it may be hard to get it back.

I could always use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the things I need but it would be great if LR could get something integrated. I see a lot of users who are requesting this feature.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully, some other Nikonians may have additional sugggestions.

Regards, Lance

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Sat 29-Dec-12 03:43 PM
2553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Keeping notes and comments"
In response to Reply # 2

Rolling Hills, US

Lance,

You might also take a look at Tim Armes' plug-ins for LR. He has several plug-ins re metadata. The list can be found here:

http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

augustf Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007Thu 27-Dec-12 09:56 PM
1376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Keeping notes and comments"
In response to Reply # 0

Aldie, US

Could this be what you're looking for??

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/big-note/

-August

De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace!

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 08:34 PM
#5. "RE: Keeping notes and comments"
In response to Reply # 3

El Paso, US

August,

I looked at that one and it could be useful. I might be going off on the wrong track as my main goal is to keep a record of which pictures have been printed and who got them.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Lance

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 30-Dec-12 03:33 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Keeping notes and comments"
In response to Reply # 5

Kleinburg, CA

>
>I looked at that one and it could be useful. I might be going
>off on the wrong track as my main goal is to keep a record of
>which pictures have been printed and who got them.
>
I use Qimage to manage all my printers. Once its interface is learned it's a time saver for printer setup plus you can recall every print job ever executed by date & time or job name complete with file names and printer settings.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 06:31 AM
#7. "RE: Keeping notes and comments"
In response to Reply # 6

El Paso, US

Barry,

That is interesting. I never looked into that option. I have been using Lightroom to print and have had very good results. I would have to think real hard before moving to another program to do my printing. I do like the traceability that you have mentioned. I looked quickly at the website and noticed that it is not Mac compatible. I am Mac based.

I'm going to keep researching and hopefully will get more suggestions from my fellow Nikonians.

Regards, Lance

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9715 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.