Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9670
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lens corrections in Lightroom 4" Previous topic | Next topic
mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 04:53 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
Sun 23-Dec-12 04:54 PM by mvlow1974

US

When I use lens corrections in Lightroom 4 for my new Tamron 70-300VC, it does not automatically find the lens like it does when I use my Nikkor 16-85 VR. When I manually choose Tamron from the drop down list it always chooses an incorrect version of the Tamron lens. As a result I have to scroll down the list for every photo I process and choose the correct lens profile.

The process is so much easier for my Nikkor 16-85VR. When I check the enable lens profiles box it automatically chooses the correct Nikkor lens without any further effort from me.

Does anyone know if there is a way I can set up Lightroom 4 so it recognizes my Tamrom 70-300VC in the same manner. Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4
Gamecocks Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
mvlow1974
23rd Dec 2012
diskra Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
26th Dec 2012
diskra Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
walkerr Administrator
03rd Jan 2013
diskra Silver Member
04th Jan 2013

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 23-Dec-12 06:15 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

If the EXIF metadata is contained in the image file LR should be able to work out the correct lens profile. I have a Nikkor lens that is not listed in the drop down menu so I believe I'd have to customize the Lens Correction settings and use the Setup menu to Save new Defaults. Hope this helps.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 23-Dec-12 07:02 PM
2493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

What happens if you select a bunch of photos shot with the same lens, make one which is corrected with the right profile the most selected one (click to make its frame the brightest one, and the sync settings, selecting lens corrections? Does it replicate the lens corrections with the profile for Tamron 70-300, or does it guess the profile for each photo separately?

Regards, Antero

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 08:20 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Antero and John,

Based on what John said, I think I have it figured out. I selected the correct lens from the Tamron profile list, then under the Enable Profile Corrections box, I clicked on Setup then Save New Lens Profile Defaults. This seems to have solved the problem and when I select a new photo taken with the same lens it shows the correct profile. Thanks both of you for your responses.

diskra Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2012Wed 26-Dec-12 07:38 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Can you set it so it will apply the corrections when you import ?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 26-Dec-12 09:10 PM
14397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
In response to Reply # 4

Colorado Springs, US

Yes. Just start with a file that you haven't manipulated, place check marks beside both the lens corrections and chromatic aberrations removal options and then make it your new camera default. Both Lightroom and ACR (if you have it) will now share the same default that includes an automatic correction of distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration. It's how I have my system configured.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

diskra Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 10:54 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
In response to Reply # 5

US

How would I make it my default ?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 03-Jan-13 12:27 PM
14397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 03-Jan-13 12:51 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

You follow the same process that you would to make other settings part of your default. Adjust an image to what you want the default parameters to be and then within the Develop module select Develop>Set Default Develop Settings and then pick "Update to Current Settings". This is how you can set your own sharpening preferences, color profiles, whatever you want.. for a given camera.

For my cameras, I have the default setting include a color profile I made, sharpening that brings out finer detail, and lens correction (including distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration).

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

diskra Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 12:08 PM
#8. "RE: Lens corrections in Lightroom 4"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thank You very much!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9670 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.