nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)

pimadude

Tucson, US
61 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pimadude Registered since 28th Nov 2012
Sat 22-Dec-12 02:39 PM

I've just acquired the Lightroom 3.6 program, which is the latest version that is compatible with my Windows XP OS computer. I also purchased Scott Kelby's book "Lightroom 3 book for Digital Photographers" to become more familiar with the program.

I'd like to know if users of this program are using it primarily as a software editing program for selected images that are imported into the program, or as a organizational tool for all their photos. I already have many photos in the "My Pictures" folder under "My Documents". These photos are organized into separate folders by date and subject.

From my initial reading of the Scott Kelby book, he advocates using a separate folder titled "My Lightroom Photos" to import photos from the camera's memory card. This folder would reside inside the "My Pictures" folder.

At this point, I'm inclined to only import photos into a "My Lightroom Photos" that I wish to edit using the Lightroom programs capabilities. I also will keep a separate folder in "My Pictures" of the original files before any edits are applied.

Does this process seem reasonable given the Lightroom programs structure and processes?

Jim

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User) walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
22nd Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User) quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User) pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
22nd Dec 2012
Reply message RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User) pimadude
04th Jan 2013
     Reply message RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User) quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Jan 2013

G