Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9644
View in linear mode

Subject: "Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)" Previous topic | Next topic
pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 02:39 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)"

Tucson, US

I've just acquired the Lightroom 3.6 program, which is the latest version that is compatible with my Windows XP OS computer. I also purchased Scott Kelby's book "Lightroom 3 book for Digital Photographers" to become more familiar with the program.

I'd like to know if users of this program are using it primarily as a software editing program for selected images that are imported into the program, or as a organizational tool for all their photos. I already have many photos in the "My Pictures" folder under "My Documents". These photos are organized into separate folders by date and subject.

From my initial reading of the Scott Kelby book, he advocates using a separate folder titled "My Lightroom Photos" to import photos from the camera's memory card. This folder would reside inside the "My Pictures" folder.

At this point, I'm inclined to only import photos into a "My Lightroom Photos" that I wish to edit using the Lightroom programs capabilities. I also will keep a separate folder in "My Pictures" of the original files before any edits are applied.

Does this process seem reasonable given the Lightroom programs structure and processes?

Jim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)
walkerr Administrator
22nd Dec 2012
quenton8 Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
pdekman Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
pimadude Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Jan 2013

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 22-Dec-12 02:52 PM
14426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I use it to both edit and organize my photos. When I first set it up years ago, I imported all of my photos into it, including ones that were film scans. Having everything in it enables me to keyword, geotag, whatever I want with that combined library and makes it much easier to manage my photos. Given that Lightroom edits photos non-destructively, I'm not sure I see the value in segregating original copies.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 22-Dec-12 02:54 PM
1218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I think most people use LR for both organizing and editing.

I have no photographs (other than ones I am in the process of exporting or importing) that are not a part of LR.

If I want to find or look-at a photo, I first open LR.

All my photos are on an external drive (which is sync'ed nightly with another external drive), and I use a date folder system.

I created a short word document for a friend who was just getting into photo editing, and I have attached it here. Its aim is to describe what "I" do, not suggest that this is the best or only way to use LR.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/240069.doc

----
Dennis Smith.

Attachment #1, (doc file)

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 22-Dec-12 05:30 PM
1031 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 22-Dec-12 05:32 PM by pdekman

Swisher, US

I consider LR to be an editor that happens to have some great workflow features regarding organizing, publishing and printing. The integration is pretty tight, so trying to use portions of it with other (non-Adobe) software seems cumbersome to me. That integration can be viewed as an advantage or disadvantage depending upon how you feel about Adobe's workflow.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 02:32 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson, US

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. After some careful organization of my existing photos in "My Pictures" folder on my C: drive, I imported those that I was most interested in using within the Lightroom environment. I didn't import some photo folders that simply don't require any of the organizational or development tools in Lightroom (e.g. photos taken in my home for personal use, etc.).

I found one website that was quite useful for me as a novice. This was Laura Shoe's Lightroom training and tutorials. I used her "Getting Started with Lightroom 3 or Lightroom 4: Importing Photos and Videos" tutorial as a guide before beginning to import my photos. Here:
http://laurashoe.com/2012/03/08/getting-started-with-lightroom-3-or-lightroom-4-importing-photos-and-videos/

I'd also bought Scott Kelby's book "Lightroom 3 book for Digital Photographers", but it wasn't really as useful in my initial experience of the program utilities as the Laura Shoe video. I'm sure the book will still be a useful future source for information.

Jim

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Fri 04-Jan-13 03:28 PM
1218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Basic Lightroom 3 Workflow Question (Newbie User)"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

One thing to be careful of when importing photos already your disks is do you want to "Copy" them or just "Point to them where they already are".

I got caught on this having put some photos in a temporary folder on Windows, and then importing (without Copy) -- then sometime later deleting my "temporary folder".

You may want to Copy or Not Copy from time to time, just be sure you get it right. To be safe, I Copy all the time, works for "me".

----
Dennis Smith.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9644 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.