Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9637
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR4 - Cannot see my Folders" Previous topic | Next topic
William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 03:27 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR4 - Cannot see my Folders"
Sat 22-Dec-12 03:28 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

I am a LR 4 newbie, and I am now convinced it is the best tool for my purposes.

And so this morning I attempted to clean up my folders, so I can use LR going forward.

I have dome something and now I cannot see any Folders in the Folder Panel. I know the folders are there as they are in Finder and the Catalog panel shows 500 photos in the Catalog, but all I can see in the Folders Panel in "My Mac 1TB". I cannot drill down any further, no matter what I click.

None of my manuals help, and I am hoping a Nikonian knows the answer.....

How can I see my Folders (please and sorry if this is a dumb question)??

Thank you

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: LR4 - Cannot see my Folders
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Dec 2012
William Symonds
22nd Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Dec 2012
William Symonds
22nd Dec 2012
BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
25th Dec 2012
colrehogan713 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 22-Dec-12 03:32 AM
14801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR4 - Cannot see my Folders"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Click the triangle at the right end of the Folders bar (My iMac 1TB).

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 03:43 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LR4 - Cannot see my Folders"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 22-Dec-12 03:48 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Rick

I had tried that several times..., but your suggestion prompted me to think odf something else

So I just closed and reopened Lightroom and everything is back in view, bit of a beginners mess but there you are....

Another draft question - I have a heap of photographs sitting in the root of "Pictures", how can I move these to a sub-directory?

Thank you so much

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 22-Dec-12 04:06 AM
14801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: LR4 - Cannot see my Folders"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 22-Dec-12 04:08 AM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

You can select the photos you want to move in grid view and then drag them to the folder you want them to reside in.

It's definitely time to clean up your naming conventions and folder structures.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 04:14 AM
#4. "RE: LR4 - Cannot see my Folders"
In response to Reply # 3

Bogor, ID

Thanks Rick, will do...

Yes - it's a mess, but fortunately not so much damage is done, and I am now clearing it up.

At some point I may have to migrate everything from Aperture, but for now that lot is staying put.

LR4 is my FX era tool. And a superb one at that...

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Tue 25-Dec-12 05:03 PM
2646 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: LR4 - Cannot see my Folders"
In response to Reply # 4

Rolling Hills, US

One other tip......whatever moving around/renaming you do, be sure to do it in Lightroom. If you make changes outside of Lightroom, Lightroom will be unable to locate your folders and will be listed as "missing".

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

colrehogan713 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 07:46 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: LR4 - Cannot see my Folders"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am also having issues with LR4 not being able to see an exteral hard drive properly. At the moment, I have an external hard drive that LR4 thinks should be labeled as G: However, when I did some photo management similar to the OP last week (it was in LR4), it was reading this external hard drive as F. Now it (LR4) refuses to see this exernal drive the same way and is no longer reading my second internal HD on the computer either. I'm trying to migrate my photos to the external drive (HD space is getting low), but I do have to disconnect my laptop periodically.

Diane

450 mm Nikkor-M rocks!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9637 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.