nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9518
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?" Previous topic | Next topic
Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012Tue 11-Dec-12 05:52 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"

Toronto, CA

Which one would work better? (I'm thinking Photoshop). Want to be able to do as much as possible - portrait photography is important, also HDR, RAW, masking, all basic essentials too. I'm used to using Photoshop, but have to upgrade.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
11th Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
11th Dec 2012
Carmen Tulum
11th Dec 2012
rwwright Platinum Member
12th Dec 2012
Izzie Gold Member
12th Dec 2012
rchew Silver Member
12th Dec 2012
slothead Gold Member
18th Dec 2012
sabbey51 Gold Member
26th Dec 2012
gheck58 Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
29th Dec 2012

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 11-Dec-12 06:15 PM
4883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Photoshop and Lightroom are two very different programs for two very different purposes. Ultimately you may end up with both.

If you are looking to maximize the pixel editing with plug-ins and the like, Photoshop is probably what you are looking for.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 11-Dec-12 06:59 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

That's how I see it, too. Lightroom is all about organizing with some editing (smart use of camera raw) while Photoshop is about a per image manipulation. They work towards different ends. You can do a lot of what Lightroom does with Bridge but it's much simpler working in Lightroom and doing Lightroom edits and only going to PS when you need to.

Carmen Tulum Registered since 09th Nov 2012Tue 11-Dec-12 09:09 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

Thank you. I'll stay with Photoshop then.

rwwright Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2003Wed 12-Dec-12 02:04 AM
608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 3

Fairview, TX, US

see LR vs CS6 message also

My Gallery

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Wed 12-Dec-12 11:44 AM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chesterfield, US

I have been using Photoshop way before Lightroom ever see the light so I do not see any need for having Lightroom where you can get the same functions (and more...) you want to achieve in your digitized photo. Also for file organization, Photoshop has Bridge.

Just my opinion..

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rchew Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Wed 12-Dec-12 11:32 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 5

Incline Village, US

I started using LR4 earlier this year as an addition, not a replacement, to Photoshop. Bottom line - LR4 is most useful if you are managing and processing a lot of photos. If not, Photoshop is just fine.

For example, I frequently photograph charity or other non-profit events and will typically take several hundred photos at each event. On a month long trip to China, I shot over 3,000 photos. LR4 does a great job of importing the photos (with a backup copy)into the desired folder(s); allowing me to delete the bad photos; selecting the best photos using either the compare or survey functions and creating a collection; applying a common set of corrections to multiple photos; and exporting in mass all of the processed photos for posting to a web site. By comparison, before LR4 I would individually open each image in Photoshop; process it; and save it.

On the other hand, if I am focused on processing a small number of high quality images (for example, for printing enlargements), I will use Photoshop.

Hope this helps...

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 18-Dec-12 05:03 PM
1589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

I have both but have never used LR only because the "threat" of having to catalog all of the 4 terabytes of images I have is simply overwhelming. If I was starting from scratch, I might seriously consider LR.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Wed 26-Dec-12 08:47 PM
583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 7

Saddle river, US

Tom:

I can't imagine working with that many images without a sophisticated cataloging tool. I have many gigabytes of images - more than 50,000 images - and have barely scratched the surface of LR. But here are some of the things I do with it:

- keyword tag images with people's names or subject type - "waterfall", etc.
- quickly flag interesting images for later processing (or for deletion)
- apply common edits (WB, etc) to an entire shoot
- (my latest and favorite, thanks to some Nikonians) create "publish" sets of the same images for different target media (print, iPad Retina, iPhone Retina, etc) from the same source edited images - with 1-click updating to each target after changing the I age set or editing images
- allow for an automatic backup copy of your images at ingest time (I actually don't use this as I have other backup strategies in place)

If you've got some basic folder-based organization strategy already, then the initial import into LR is pretty painless. It will simply retain the folder hierarchy you already have.

I'm not trying to be critical, but suggesting that you could gain some value from exploring this product. Obviously, you've been successful with what you're currently doing. I'd also suggest that the free-trial is usually only going to frustrate you, unless there's a single killer feature you just need to test. Really getting the value from a complex program like this will take time.

Scott

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Sat 29-Dec-12 12:12 AM
2784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 8

Aliso Viejo, US

I do about 75 to 80 percent of everything in LR4 now but I couldn't live without Content Aware Fill in CS6. I like resizing and sharpening much better in CS6 also but if you could only have one I'd get Lightroom.

Hecky

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 29-Dec-12 12:48 AM
5076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I've been a Photoshop users since 1990 as part of my day job. But for images, I find Lightroom more efficient for PP of 90% of my images. For the rest I use Photoshop, but mainly as a vehicle to use NIK filters (Color Efex Pro, HDR Efex Pro, and Silver Efex Pro). About the only Photoshop tool that sees any use is the Clone Tool, and that very rare (the LR Brush is frequently enough).

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9518 Previous topic | Next topic