Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9443
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts" Previous topic | Next topic
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 03:46 PM
3169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"

Washington, US

Maybe I didn't notice this issue before, is this typical? When I use the adjustment brush to increase exposure, it leaves speckles. Here is the same image; the second is a 1:1 of the first image. The first image shows the adjustment brush settings.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts
coolmom42 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
bobpilot Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
bobpilot Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
bobpilot Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sun 02-Dec-12 03:57 PM
2789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

In the adjustment brush control pane, there is a box labelled "auto mask". If you un-check that box, I'm pretty sure your "speckles" will go away.

The automask function automatically sets a boundary at an area of high contrast, and does not apply the adjustment to that area. This is useful if you are trying to adjust only a continuous dark or light area. It helps you "color in the lines" so to speak. But if the area you wish to adjust has mixed dark/light fine detail (like beard stubble or dirt or grass), the automask function will not apply the adjustment to those as well. That is not the result you want, and you can un-check the automask box to avoid it.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 02-Dec-12 04:01 PM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"
In response to Reply # 1

Vantaa, FI

Diane is right in that the speckles are areas which are too different from the spot where you landed the brush, and this is why Auto-mask ignored them. Simply unchecking Auto-mask will not fill the holes, and you have to paint over them with Auto-mask unchecked. The way I usually work is that I have Auto-mask on when I paint the border of my mask, and when I fill the mask I uncheck the Auto-mask.

Regards, Antero

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 04:18 PM
3169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"
In response to Reply # 2

Washington, US

Uh, I hope i understand this, no, I am sure I don't. Can you explain what LR means by 'mask?'

What do you mean, 'paint the border of my mask?'

I thought I knew how to use LR? I don't!

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 02-Dec-12 07:44 PM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"
In response to Reply # 3

Vantaa, FI

Bob, if you look at your first picture, which is a screen capture, you see a tick box "Auto mask". It is checked, which means that the adjustment brush "thinks" you are going to paint the adjustments into areas similar to the ones where you began the adjustment. If you toggle the "O" key for Overlay, or tick the check box under the photo, you see a red (by default, adjustable) mask which tells you which areas you have selected for adjustment. This it the adjustment "mask".

The "border" is then the border (edge, boundary) of the masked region. This is where the Auto mask feature is useful because there usually is good contrast between the areas you do want adjusted and those you don't. When you're well inside the region to be adjusted, it is best to have Auto mask off, precisely for the reason that pixels different from the starting point aren't selected for adjustment, and you get the spots which is the topic of your question.

Regards, Antero

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 07:47 PM
#5. "RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"
In response to Reply # 4

Washington, US

Ah, this makes sense now, thank you.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 02-Dec-12 07:49 PM
#7. "RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"
In response to Reply # 5

Vantaa, FI

Ha! We're online at the same time.

Antero

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 02-Dec-12 07:48 PM
#6. "RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"
In response to Reply # 4

Vantaa, FI

Note also in that your #1 picture the spot for the adjustment brush is white (non-selected). This means that the values for the adjustment brush you see in #1 are not those which are effect for the spot which is visible in #1. You can click on the spot with the adjustment brush to see the adjustment values, to re-adjust them or to paint or un-paint the mask.

Antero

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 09:15 PM
#8. "RE: Lrightroom 4 adjustment brush artifacts"
In response to Reply # 6

Washington, US

I have a lot of rework to do; I didn't notice this until a few days ago.

I have no idea how many images are affected; probably hundreds.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9443 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.