Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9326
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about TIFF files" Previous topic | Next topic
SteveSint Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Wed 21-Nov-12 11:46 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about TIFF files"

Franklin Square, US

Hi All,

I'm running CS3 on a big Mac (I just scrapped off the special sauce and plugged it in.. )

A client asked me to submit files today in the TIFF format. I did a "save as" on a 300 PPI jpeg and chose TIFF as the file type (see Picture #1)...all well and good.

I then clicked save and got a new dialog box asking me for (among other things) IBM PC or Macintosh byte order (see third choice down in the dialog box in Picture #2)

The first time I did this I chose IBM PC byte order and could still reopen the file on my Mac so I'm trying to understand which choice should I make in the future and what is the difference between the two byte order choices.

Any help or information is appreciated.

Steve Sint
steve@stevesint.com

Author of:
Digital Still Life Photography: Art, Business, & Style
Digital Wedding Photography: Art, Business, & Style
Digital Portrait Photography: Art, Business, & Style

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 21-Nov-12 11:57 PM
14803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about TIFF files"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

It really shouldn't matter with any recent program, but it's safe to pick "PC" whether you're using a Mac (like I do as well) or a Windows PC.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 22-Nov-12 07:52 AM
2540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about TIFF files"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

The Byte order indicates whether the platform’s native files are stored with least significant bit/byte or most significant bit/byte first. It’s kind of whether you write your name from left to right or right to left. As Rick said, interoperability between platforms now requires that you can choose either option.

I am noting that you’ve set compression to None. The two middle compression options, LZW and ZIP, are lossless compressions and can be used safely. ZIP compression has always resulted in slightly (by about 5%) smaller files in the cases where I’ve tried them both. JPG compression is lossy and defeats some of the benefits of using TIF.

Regards, Antero

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9326 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.