Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9295
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone with a better computer than mine?" Previous topic | Next topic
InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Sun 18-Nov-12 05:20 PM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone with a better computer than mine?"

Encino, US

I was wondering if anyone has better than i7 920 computer running at 2.6Ghz or faster and can time D800 RAW file processed in ACR while PS is already opened. It takes 5 seconds on mine running at 4.2GHz but it does not matter because I can drop it to your speed for comparison purposes.

TIA.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?
noneco Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
InsaneO
19th Nov 2012
noneco Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
DAJolley Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
InsaneO
19th Nov 2012
DAJolley Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
21st Nov 2012
InsaneO
24th Nov 2012
TFCJRMD Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
InsaneO
20th Nov 2012
TFCJRMD Gold Member
27th Nov 2012
Ferguson Silver Member
26th Nov 2012

noneco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th May 2009Sun 18-Nov-12 11:54 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

Maybe or maybe not better but probibly bigger and more expencive.
i7 980 3.33GHz = 3.2sec.
Other stuff that might or might not matter:
WIN 7-64, ASUS Rampage III Black Edition (for i7 support and more PCI slots not for over clocking), 12G RAM, 2-SSD RAID-0 for OS & programs, 2-SSD RAID-0 for Swap files, 6-SATA RAID-10 for dynamic files (NEF, DOCs, WEB site files, Program downloads, etc.), 6-SATA RAID-10 for system backups, fonts, clipart, music, videos and other things that don't change often, 1-SATA with a clean OS (unconnected), NVIDIA graphics card that supports OpenGL, and a bloody big case with lots of fans. I built this last year and added an internal USB-3 multi-card reader and a 4-port USB-3 PCI card after experiencing D800 NEF download times.

Interestingly the NIK filters open and regen back to PS much slower than any image modifications done in PS. The OpenGL use by Adobe? The exception being the JPG image generation during "Save to Web . . ."

I do like my toys! Cal

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Mon 19-Nov-12 03:35 AM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 1

Encino, US

Question.
Did you open a single file or a batch of 5 or 10 for example?
If I open a single file I get 3.2 seconds but if I do batch I get 5 seconds. And it is not HD because I tried to open a batch of files from SSD with the same results.
I also have 12GB of RAM. I just don't have as many drives as you have.
Single SSD (Vertex 3) for OS and software. Raid Zero (WD Black 2tb) for data. Water cooling with external radiator. ATI 6870 for Video.
I did a lot of experimenting and setting scratch file to SSD or HD does not make any difference. SSD in Raid does not make any difference.
Changing speed makes a lot of difference and HT makes a difference.
Thinking going with 3770K and getting close to 5Ghz but Ivy Bridge is difficult to cool due to smaller cooling surface and Intel's screw up with not soldering heat spreader to the chip.
Maybe I should wait for the next generation

noneco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th May 2009Mon 03-Dec-12 04:20 AM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 3

Vancouver, CA

Sorry to take so long to reply - got busy with stuff. My reported time was the time to read one D800 file from ACR into PS. I haven’t experimented with water cooling yet. Mostly I try to get a gamers MB figuring if it will take overclocking it might be reliable and fast enough for 4-5 years. I recently installed 24G @ 2400MHz of RAM with a cooler as recommended by ASUS if all of the RAM slots were filled. That was an increase from 12G @ 1600MHz. I sense an increase in performance (physiological?) but I have not run any tests.

I am using a R-0 with 2 SSDs to double the capacity as much as for increased speed. The OS drives and the R-10 data drives are controlled by a LSI sub-system with 1G of RAM.

I am very happy to see there other people here that are also crazy enough to take gear over the top.

Cal

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 12:45 AM
1143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 19-Nov-12 12:54 AM by DAJolley

US

My recently built i5-3570K (3.4GHhz) overclocked to 4.08GHz running Win 7 Pro 64bit opens my D800E NEFs (14 bit lossless compressed) files in just under 4 secs. NEF file size might impact your comparison; I have NEFs from 38-56MB in size depending on subject matter.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Mon 19-Nov-12 03:39 AM
#4. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 2

Encino, US

I have tried to group small files and large files and process them separately. No difference at all. Your CPU lacking HT that makes a difference. Turning HT off on my setup slows down by 20%.
How much memory do you have?

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 11:39 AM
1143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 19-Nov-12 11:43 AM by DAJolley

US

Currently I have 16GB of memory, I am adding another 16GB later this week. My OS and scratch disk are on a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD. I considered the i7-3770K but the $80 price difference didn't seem worth the minor performance boost.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 02:49 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 5

HIXSON, US

>Currently I have 16GB of memory, I am adding another 16GB
>later this week. My OS and scratch disk are on a 256GB Samsung
>830 SSD. I considered the i7-3770K but the $80 price
>difference didn't seem worth the minor performance boost.
>Dave

Dave,

You may need 32GB SDRAM for a particular reason. However, it could actually slow the system down depending on the speed of the memory and sometimes more importantly, the latency. The more sticks of memory, the harder it is to maintain a low latency. Be careful to get matched memory or you may not achieve their specs. If you go from 16GB of matched high speed, low latency memory to 32GB of the same speed, same latency, matched memory, that $80 delta to go to i7-3770K will seem like chump change.

Just some things to consider.

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Sat 24-Nov-12 06:01 PM
#9. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 26-Nov-12 02:48 AM by InsaneO

Encino, US

I just ordered parts for new computer.
ASUS Sabertooth x79
Intel 3930K
32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866

Did some research and a sweet spot for this setup is 32GB.
I am hopping for at least 4.75GHz on liquid.

TFCJRMD Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 01:26 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bowling Green, US

All files open in less than 2 seconds.
All NX2 Lightroom or PS processing in under 2 seconds

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz LGA 2011
Corsair H100 CPU Cooler
ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 Intel X79
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (x2) SLI
Thermaltake TP-1000M 1000W ATX
Crucial Real SSD C300 256GB SATA III x2 Raid0
WD Caviar Black 1 TB 7.5K 1001FALS SATA II
Samsung 12x BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu –ray Combo Model SH-B123L/RSBP
Planar PX2611W 26" Widescreen LCD Monitor
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G9X Laser Mouse
Thermaltake Level 10 GT ATX Full Tower Case
Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner
Epson Workforce 845 All in One Printer
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Logitech G9X Laser Mouse
Windows 8 Professional 64-bit

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 03:31 AM
#7. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 6

Encino, US

So if you take 5 RAW files for example and process them in ACR they will be all opened in PS6 in 10 seconds?

TFCJRMD Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Tue 27-Nov-12 02:50 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 7

Bowling Green, US

I tested by opening five recent NEF files from a Cincinnati Zoo shoot multiple times. I cannot count to three before all five are open in ACR CS5.

Thad

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Mon 26-Nov-12 11:57 AM
3504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Anyone with a better computer than mine?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape Coral, US

I just built a I7-3770k system, not OC'd with 16G of 1600mhz memory.

My timing comparisons were primarily D800 files and time to build 1:1 previews. This setup got them down to 5-6 seconds each when doing a series.

I just tried this experiment as follows: opened CS6, chose 5 files in the open dialog, and let them open (applying the XMP file from lightroom) - 47 seconds. So a LOT slower than what you had. These were FX frame D800 shots with lossless compression, so were about 45-50MB.

That's a LOT slower than you are getting, comparing 4.2GHz vs. my 3.5GHz can only account for about a second of it.

You are opening to 16 bit?

I have a very conservative disk setup - Raid-1 for SSD's for OS, Raid-1 with two 2-TB for the files, temp and ACR cache on one SSD (non-raid). Windows caching turned off for drives. But I saw very little disk activity while doing the test, I think it is processor limited, so I am now puzzled over the speed difference.

I have hyper-threading turned off, with 4 cores and single user I thought that might be better. when I get some time will turn it on and see what I get.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9295 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.