Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9291
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need help removing shadows......" Previous topic | Next topic
hollingwD80 Registered since 30th Apr 2008Sat 17-Nov-12 04:00 PM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need help removing shadows......"
Sat 17-Nov-12 06:07 PM by esantos

Hartselle, US

Hello:
A friend asked me to fix some of her son's senior pics. The photog did not do a good job of lighting, and now she wants me to try and fix them. She wants me to remove the shadows under his chin, and on his shirt. My PS CS5 skills are not up to this. Does anyone know how to best "lesson" the shadows on him?

Thanks,
Rich

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/176900/cat/500

Please visit my SmugMug gallery at nikonrick.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 17-Nov-12 09:50 PM
26585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Need help removing shadows......"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Depends on what she means by "fix." If that means "eliminate" (with extreme prejudice? ) I don't really know how to do that. If you mean "make them less obvious," that's easier. You have LR4, so I'd pop it in and get out the Adjustment brush. Choose Dodge (Lighten) and turn on the Auto Mask feature. Now brush the undesirable shadows and possibly bump up the exposure of the brush a little. Toggle the O option to see what you've brushed.

The thing that I think of when you say this is harsh, hard-edged shadows. I don't know how to fix that in post, although probably someone else around here does. I try really hard never to have harsh shadows captured in the first place, so I don't have much practice fixing that.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sun 18-Nov-12 02:19 PM
2498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need help removing shadows......"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 18-Nov-12 04:02 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

You apparently didn't post a photo for experimenting, so I'll post one of my own. This is a lady I saw in Rome.

And this is her after a touch of negative clarity, local blurring and liquify filter in CS5.

I guess there are a million ways to do this kind of refurbishing work, but the way I work is duplicate the background layer, then overdo the smoothing and retouching on the copy layer. Opacity of the copy layer is adjusted by layer masking such that in generally continuous areas of skin (areas away from edges or details), the opacity is very high (almost pure white painted on layer mask), while over the edges and details the opacity is low (black or near black painted on layer mask) to let the "good" features to show. Over the wrinkles and other blemishes, the opacity of the layer mask is medium (mid-gray painted on layer mask), to let some of the wrinkles to show and give credibility to the job.

Regards, Antero

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Mon 19-Nov-12 11:57 AM
1406 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need help removing shadows......"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

Shadows/Highlights may work also. Make a duplicate and adjust the shadows to taste. Then just clone the shadow portions to the original.

KenL

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9291 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.