nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Adobe Post-Processing (Public) topic #9251
View in linear mode

Subject: "Crop in LR4" Previous topic | Next topic
Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Sun 11-Nov-12 09:59 PM
986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Crop in LR4"

Is it possible to do an oval crop and, if so, what are the steps? In advance, thanks for any information.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Crop in LR4 blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
11th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Crop in LR4 elcee Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his sharing knowledge contributions to the community in addition to his words of encouragement for further advancement
11th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Crop in LR4 Gamecocks Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
12th Nov 2012
Reply message RE: Crop in LR4 blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
11th Nov 2012
13th Nov 2012
13th Nov 2012
13th Nov 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Sun 11-Nov-12 11:35 PM
27059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Crop in LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

Not per se, but you can achieve the same effect (I think) by using the Effects -> Post Crop Vignette controls. I don't use them very often so you'll have to twiddle things a bit, but in general you want to set the vignette all the way in one direction (so it'll be black) and then set the "hardness" of the vignette edge to be "sharp." I don't know which numbers these correspond to.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

elcee Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his sharing knowledge contributions to the community in addition to his words of encouragement for further advancement   Albuquerque, US  Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005 Sun 11-Nov-12 11:55 PM
6970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Crop in LR4"
In response to Reply # 1

Brian is on the right track, John.

For a black vignette, set amount to -100
For a white vignette, set amount to +100
Set Midpoint to around 50
Set Roundness and Feather to 0
The resulting file will have to be edited since the vignetted portion
is not transparent.
Selected the vignetted portion in an editing program, delete it, then save for/export
as jpg-2000, png or psd to preserve transparency.
Others will correct me if there is another, easier way.

~LarryC (eLCee)

Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Mon 12-Nov-12 12:24 AM
986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Crop in LR4"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 12-Nov-12 02:30 AM by Gamecocks

Larry,

Thanks for the directions. I tried them and they worked really great.

John

Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Mon 12-Nov-12 12:20 AM
#4. "RE: Crop in LR4"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the feedback, Brian. I'll give it a try while incorporating Larry's steps.

John

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Sun 11-Nov-12 11:41 PM
27059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Crop in LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

I victimized a random shot, and it turns out that the key things are to set Amount to -100 and Feather to zero. And if I crop it to be square first, suddenly I realize that this is the way for me to crop my circular fisheyes and mask out their non-image portions! Thanks!!!

_____

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Tue 13-Nov-12 02:30 PM
#6. "RE: Crop in LR4"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm glad you asked this question! I was able to take the info and apply it to one of the problems that's been vexing me for some time, namely masking off the glare that occasionally shows up in my circular fisheye shots. Here's the "before:"

and this is the "after:"

_____

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Tue 13-Nov-12 02:52 PM
#7. "RE: Crop in LR4"
In response to Reply # 6

Wow, Brian. That is a really neat shot and the resulting edit looks great. As I read and experiment I find that LR4 is pretty user friendly. I try to find an answer but if I can't the experienced Nikonians have always been very helpful. Would you mind sharing the steps you used in this edit?

John

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Tue 13-Nov-12 05:44 PM
#8. "RE: Crop in LR4"
In response to Reply # 7

There are two sections:

0) Shoot the scene with a circular fisheye! In my case, the long-discontinued Sigma 8/f4 AFD, but current offerings are limited to the Sigma 8/f3.5 HSM (FX) or Sigma 4.5/f2.8 HSM (DX). Nikon once offered the 8/f2.8 AIS, which is a better lens than either of the Sigma FX offerings, but which is manual focus, 5x the size and weight - and $2000+ if you can find one in nice condition. The original scene is a fountain at the Stowe Botanical Gardens in Belmont, NC (near Charlotte).

1) Post processing: import, crop to square format, Auto Tone, sharpening, edge masking. A little goofing around with color balance as this one was a bit weird out of the camera for some reason. This was the state as of the "before."

2) Masking to eliminate optical issues: Crop to exactly square format (Crop, choose 1x1 aspect ratio, crop to almost touch the actual image); Post crop vignette per above (Amount = -100, Roundness = 100, Feather = 0.)

_____

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) Adobe Post-Processing (Public) topic #9251 Previous topic | Next topic