Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9239
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tell me about graphic tablets for PP" Previous topic | Next topic
JDuchene Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2005Fri 09-Nov-12 10:50 PM
155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tell me about graphic tablets for PP"

Mahomet, US

I have Photoshop CS5 and Nikon capture NX2. I am beginning to wondering if a graphics tablet would be useful. I would like to understand what functions they serve with PS and CNX2. Could some of you share your thoughts and experiences with these devices. I should also say I have Topaz Adjust 5, Denoise 5 and Simplify 4. I am interested in your opinions. Thanks, John

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 10-Nov-12 02:01 AM
26293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Tell me about graphic tablets for PP"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Just to be certain we're talking about the same thing, I believe you're asking about something like an Wacom Intuos, rather than something like an Apple iPad or Samsung Galaxy. Both have at least some claim to the title "graphics tablet."

I have an Intuos, the medium-sized version, and I find it to be a useful luxury. I use it exclusively for advanced post processing, specifically when I'm doing operations such as the adjustment brush in Lightroom, mask selection (particularly when using Topaz ReMask), and painting operations in Photoshop. In these cases, it's very helpful. The pen device is more natural than mice or trackpads for this type of thing, especially when doing a lot of it. On the other hand, I do occasionally do my post processing on a different system, and while I miss it, I definitely am not stopped. I know some folks use them as their full-time pointing device (for example completely replacing a mouse) but I definitely do not find mine to be as good or as natural as either a mouse or trackpad for general UI work. As an example, my main image processing system is equipped with both a mouse and a trackpad, and I use them both in favor of the tablet - except in the situations as noted above.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sat 10-Nov-12 07:37 AM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tell me about graphic tablets for PP"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

I bought an Intuos 3 when it was bundled with LR3. (I already had LR3 but I sold the bundled copy.) The intuos didn't turn out to be quite as useful as I hoped. There are a couple of reasons for that.First, since a tablet is an absolute pointing device (pen coordinates are mapped to screen coordinates, and you cannot reposition the cursor by lifting the pen and landing it on a different location), the user cannot maintain their hand in the position which is ergonomically optimal. Instead the drawing/masking operations must be done in a position dictated by image content. For long operations on the right side of thescreen/tablet, it gets tiriring on the right hand. Second, I've learned more and more "smart" masking techniques (eg creation of masks by layer and/or channel manipulations,which is why there is less and less need for mask operations requiring precise placement of the pointing device. Third, the pen is much smaller than a mouse and I must squeeze my hand much tighter, which gives me cramps after 5 or 10 minutes.

Having said that, there's one very valuable feature of a good tablet that cannot be duplicated with other pointing devices that I know of. That is the ability to control brush width or flow (selectable in brush options in PS) with the pen pressure. So, if I need to select or mask a vey complex area, such as a sky behind a tree, then the tablet is really the best tool for it.

Regards, Antero

JDuchene Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2005Sun 11-Nov-12 12:26 AM
155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tell me about graphic tablets for PP"
In response to Reply # 2

Mahomet, US

Thanks Brian and Antero, My curiosity was raised by the bundle of the inturos 3 and silver fx at Adorama. I think I may pass on this for now. You have answered my question, useful but not revolutionary. Appreciate it. John

tcerul Basic MemberThu 15-Nov-12 06:34 PM
422 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tell me about graphic tablets for PP"
In response to Reply # 0

Hardy, US

I'll jump in with my opinion. If any of my photo equipment, and I count my Intuos 4 medium tablet as photo equipment, were lost or stolen I would replace the tablet first behind camera and basic lenses. Light years ahead of using a mouse to make selections, brush work, etc.

Tom
From Beautiful Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9239 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.