Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9232
View in linear mode

Subject: "LR and D600" Previous topic | Next topic
JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberFri 09-Nov-12 04:37 PM
876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LR and D600"

Frederick, US

I'm considering a future purchase of the D600, but first want to conduct some due diligence.

I use a 27" iMac, with 4GB RAM using Apple OS 10.7.x (.5, I think). I work with D7000 and D700 files, and the speed of post processing in LR4, while not blazing fast, is acceptable. What kind of performance can I expect when post processing D600 files in LR, given that camera's larger file sizes? Will it be necessary for me to upgrade to 8GB right away in order to achieve acceptable performance?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 09-Nov-12 05:28 PM
14400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: LR and D600"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

It's not absolutely essential, but very desirable. Memory is pretty inexpensive these days.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 09-Nov-12 07:03 PM
26549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: LR and D600"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Your machine can handle a 200mp (that's two hundred) file if you are very careful. I know this because I occasionally do this with an older MacBook Pro with 4GB. One sneeze and it falls into a pit, but then again, this is just a little bigger than what you're asking about.

With more normal files (the ones above are generated by a 36" scanner), whether or not you need 8GB is a matter of how much else you run on the system while LR is running. On the other hand, it's probably just easier to upgrade to 8GB and be done with it. It probably doesn't even cost $150, and it will help every time you power the system on.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9232 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.