Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9229
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photoshop Image Display Soft" Previous topic | Next topic
output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Fri 09-Nov-12 03:50 PM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photoshop Image Display Soft"

US

That's kind of clunky subject line, but I'm not sure how to better articulate what's baffling me.

I'm on an iMac i7 (2010) with 16GB ram, plenty of processing horsepower, and editing with PS 13 (CS6). I've noticed that when I review an image, it's slightly less sharp (ever so blurry or soft) than it is when review not in Photoshop. For example, when using plug-ins within PS like OnOne's and Nik's programs they look very sharp until I close them out and go back to PS. The rendered image goes from sharp to soft. Odd, because I'm not altering anything in terms of resolution, bit processing or another setting that might be effecting the image's subsequent rendering. It's almost as if PS is auto-softening the image.

Not only is this annoying, it hampers my when review of an image for final output. I tend to over-sharpen thinking the image is slightly soft, when, in fact, it's perfect.

I'm pretty sure the solution is in my settings. Anyone care to venture a guess?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Sat 10-Nov-12 07:46 AM
2503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photoshop Image Display Soft"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Could be an aliasing issue. At what level of magnification(s) do you inspect your imgaes? Show all,100% or some arbitrary zoom setting?

At home, when I show photos with Faststone Image Viewer and the living-room TV set, I've set Faststone to use a high-quality anti-aliasing setting. When it opens and rescales a photo, the photo initially looks sharp but with noticeable halos. When Faststone has completed the high-quality anti-aliasing, the photo is shown slightly softer but without the halos. You may be seeing something similar, depending on your settings.

Regards, Antero

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9229 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.