nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9195
View in linear mode

Subject: "recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (boo..." Previous topic | Next topic
K_A_Sprouse Registered since 24th May 2010Mon 05-Nov-12 07:29 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"

Charlottesville, US

I have taken a step up in my post-processing software, moving from Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 to Lightroom 4.2, and I was curious if anyone had suggestions for books or websites or videos or other resources that they've found useful in helping them to learn about Lightroom. I already ordered a book (The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers, by Martin Evening, published by Adobe Press), but I wonder if you have other suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, to all who take the time to respond.

----------

Keith

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources ...
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
05th Nov 2012
somhompho Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
robcran Silver Member
05th Nov 2012
Gamecocks
06th Nov 2012
K_A_Sprouse
06th Nov 2012
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
06th Nov 2012
grosander Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
BrianS Silver Member
07th Nov 2012

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 05-Nov-12 08:10 PM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I've learned a lot from the Luminous Landscape video tutorials. I find them quite useful.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

somhompho Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2009Mon 05-Nov-12 10:54 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"
In response to Reply # 1

Madison, US

When I 1st started using Lightroom 2, I found that the free Adobe's lightroom-training-videos by Julianne Kost was enough for me to be able to accomplish about 80% of what I what to do with my photos.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos

The only other book that I have specifically for Lightroom was 'Photoshop Lightroom for Digital Photographers Only' by Rob Sheppard. It's not a detail step-by-step type book, but for me that's what I like.
Enjoy!

Som,
www.HomphoPhotography.com

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 05-Nov-12 10:53 PM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"
In response to Reply # 0

Westleigh, AU

This photographer has many LR related video clips of 5-10 minutes amongst his stuff. A lot of his tips relate to LR3 but for most of the stuff he covers the version doesn't matter.

http://vimeo.com/davidmarx/videos/all/sort:date

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Gamecocks Registered since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 06-Nov-12 02:13 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

The M. Evening book is very detailed and has a good order of presentation. Rather long with 681 pages but full of information. Adobe has a Learn Lightroom 4 tv series which is very helpful and other avenues are available as Brian and others have mentioned. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

K_A_Sprouse Registered since 24th May 2010Tue 06-Nov-12 02:20 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"
In response to Reply # 0

Charlottesville, US

Thanks to all of you for responding. I'll definitely be checking out some of the videos you recommended.

----------

Keith

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 06-Nov-12 03:51 PM
11883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 06-Nov-12 03:51 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Hi Keith,

I'm currently reading Jeff Schewe's The Digital Negative. It is not exclusively a Lightroom book because he also covers Adobe ACR and Photoshop but if you want to really get into the mechanics of LR, its process pipline, and how and why it is designed the way it is, this book is a treasure. I also really like Jeff's writing style - it's a no nonsense brand of informative delivery with just enough sidebars, tips, and trivia to keep you interested.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

grosander Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2009Tue 06-Nov-12 03:55 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"
In response to Reply # 0

Lancaster, US

My two references are Martin Evenings Lightroom 4 book and Victoria Bamptons the Missing FAQ for Lightroom 4 book. I also subscribed to Linda.com for a month and got lots of great video training on Lightroom.
Glenn

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Wed 07-Nov-12 09:11 PM
563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: recommendations wanted for Lightroom 4.2 resources (books, videos, etc.)"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 07-Nov-12 09:12 PM by BrianS

Longmeadow, US

As Glenn mentioned above, Victoria Bampton is well known for her LR expertise.

Matt Kloskowski often has LR tips on his blog..
http://www.mattk.com/

Scott Kelby's books helped me learn Photoshop and after a quick search I see that he has LR books as well..
http://kelbytraining.com/store/products/lightroom/

Lynda.com is an online software learning website. You can pay for one month (I think it is $25)to watch unlimited videos including LR and Photoshop.

Have fun!

Brian

My Blog

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) Adobe postprocessing software (Public) topic #9195 Previous topic | Next topic